#1 funkydoodycool

funkydoodycool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:20 PM

Ticket Office opening times from 6th February 2011
Pre-change times are shown in brackets for comparison.

Amersham
Mon-Fri
0700-1230
1545-1815
(0600-1900)

Sat
0845-1430
(0730-1800)

Sun
0845-1130
(0830-1800)

Chesham
Mon-Fri
0700-1000
(0700-1000 & 1600-1730)

Sat
1000-1100
(0900-1030)

Sun
1000-1100
(1100-1300)

Chalfont & Latimer
Mon-Fri
0700-1000
(0630-1100 & 1600-1730)

Sat
1000-1100
(0930-1300)

Sun
1000-1100
(1100-1230)

#2 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 03:50 PM

And when did any of us last use one of those ticket offices?

In the last year I think I have used them about twice in order to have refund vouchers credited to my Oyster card.
PeterC aka Chilternbirder

#3 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:18 PM

2 weeks ago. It's going to cause the most problems for people like me that very rarely use trains.
Mel and Co

#4 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:44 PM

In the last year I think I have used them about twice in order to have refund vouchers credited to my Oyster card.

If we extrapolate your use to the population of Amersham and surrounding districts, that would mean something like 50,000 uses per year. 130+ times a day.

Not saying that is accurate, but it illustrates how we can each perceive that they are used very little, but are in fact used constantly.

#5 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:07 PM

If we extrapolate your use to the population of Amersham and surrounding districts, that would mean something like 50,000 uses per year. 130+ times a day.

Not saying that is accurate, but it illustrates how we can each perceive that they are used very little, but are in fact used constantly.

And illustrates how we can each use statistics to prove our own point. But (so far) Mel is the only one out of the, say, 20 regulars on this forum to have used the ticket office. If the other 19 have never used the office then a more logical extrapolation is that the offices are only used about 6 times a day - or 3 times each. Going further, the offices are to remain open during the busiest periods. If we assume that 2/3 of the business is done during those periods the number of inconvenienced passengers drops to a mere one a day!

PS. Whoops, didn't read that properly. Mel & PeterC have used it, so double my figures.

Edited by David P, 05 February 2011 - 08:09 PM.

David P

#6 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:40 PM

I understand that they are trying to cut costs but it seems strange to me that ticket offices will be open during the busiest times of the day ie. the times that commuters use the trains and commuters in general know what ticket they want etc.

When I travel on the tube it is invariably during the quieter times and as someone who uses it rarely I like to buy a ticket from someone who knows what they are talking about. In future I will just come onto the forum a couple of days before travelling and ask advice about what sort of ticket to get.

PS. The last 2 occasions I've used the train there have been 2 people in front of me at the ticket office all infrequent travellers like myself.
Mel and Co

#7 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 11:24 PM

But (so far) Mel is the only one out of the, say, 20 regulars on this forum to have used the ticket office.
PS. Whoops, didn't read that properly. Mel & PeterC have used it, so double my figures.

I don't keep a record of my use of the ticket office, but I do use it from time to time - usually to make enquiries rather than to buy tickets, but sometimes to get an Oyster refund.

#8 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:48 PM

I also use them when my oyster isnt working,needs topping up or have an enquiry about a delayed train.Friends of the family use them regularily when visting the UK.At Chesham the ticket office is your only port of call,should you have a problem or enquiry,cant remember the last time I saw a member of staff at the ticket barrier.

#9 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:08 PM

Given the stated opening hours, I'm rather at a loss to know what the ticket office staff will be doing the rest of the time. Or will these now be part-time jobs?

If ticket office use is really so infrequent, can the staff not double up - carry out other duties, but be prepared to staff the ticket office if that should be required? A simple "please ring for attention" bell should be all that is needed.

#10 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:54 PM

cant remember the last time I saw a member of staff at the ticket barrier.

There is almost always someone at the barrier when I travel (usually on the 1st or 2nd off-peak train).

If ticket office use is really so infrequent, can the staff not double up - carry out other duties, but be prepared to staff the ticket office if that should be required? A simple "please ring for attention" bell should be all that is needed.

Maybe they are doing other duties - TfL have said that the stations will not be completely unmanned. The bell wouldn't work. People would be forever ringing it. TfL's intention is to encourage people to make enquiries only during the set opening hours and to use the automated machines for buying tickets.

It all seems reasonable to me. The staff have to be paid. Their pay comes from the fares. More pay = higher fares.
David P

#11 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:29 PM

If I'm travelling towards London for pleasure, I always use my Oyster card, which I top up at the machine.

However, if travelling for work, I need a proper ticket and receipt, which I buy from the ticket office to be sure I am buying the right sort of ticket for the journey and time of day.

Occasionally I take the train to Aylesbury instead of driving to work, and again, I've used the ticket office, though I'm not really sure why. Habit, I suppose.

I realise they need to keep costs down, but it does seem odd not to have anyone in the ticket office after 2.30pm on a Saturday when I would think there are quite a few infrequent travellers, who may want advice, as well as a ticket.

#12 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:46 PM

There is almost always someone at the barrier when I travel (usually on the 1st or 2nd off-peak train).

Would you be talking about Amersham station?Amersham there usualy is a member of staff on the bariiers.When I travel its out of peak hours now as I dont commute on that line, but when I did commute from Chesham I rarely saw staff at the barrier.

#13 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:12 PM

I have not used the ticket office for ages, but have in the past for abnormal tickets (Amersham to Stevenage).

I will be happy if the put the staff that were in the ticket office out by the machines. On two occasions in 2009 the ticket office has been closed, but the staff were staying in their but would not sell me a ticket.
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#14 funkydoodycool

funkydoodycool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:19 PM

So this is what's happening locally, in the long term. Short term you may see more staff about than you're used to, because there is nowhere in London to send them - every single group of stations has had their numbers cut and staff awaiting a move to some other unknown location.

Amersham is losing 2 CSAs - the guys on the gateline. 2 will be left, and will be there for all early shifts, and 3 of 7 late shifts in the week. Amersham is keeping a part-time ticket seller, for 4 hours of the first section of opening times, and another for the weekends. The rest of the ticket office time is to be done by the station supervisor, assuming nothing else is happening that requires their attention. All three regular weekday ticket sellers have taken redundancy, they are NOT adding to visible staff outside the ticket office.

Chesham is losing its ticket seller (though they will continue to work there, albeit on the gateline, until their place comes up in the unknown London location). The station supervisor will be responsible for opening the ticket office for all hours it is scheduled to be open. The new gateline position is for Peak hours only (ie 7.00 - 9.30 or thereabouts), so after the Peak, Chesham will be much as it was before.

Chalfont, Chorleywood, Ricky, down to North Harrow are basically going the same way as Chesham.

As I said, in the next few months you'll probably see more staff than you're used to, because as of yet (after a year of waiting no less) no-one has told them where they're expected to be moved to, and so they are "over-establishment" on the local station group.

#15 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:38 AM

TfL will tell you that Ticket Stop outlets are also available, forgetting that these do not exist in Ricky, Chorleywood, Amersham or Chesham (nor are there any in Epping or Theydon Bois on the Central).

PeterC aka Chilternbirder

#16 echinosum

echinosum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:10 PM

Given the stated opening hours, I'm rather at a loss to know what the ticket office staff will be doing the rest of the time. Or will these now be part-time jobs?

They will be doing what they currently do, standing in the ticket office not allowed to sell tickets. Though they have been known to step outside and help you use the self-service machines.

And yes, they do need a "please ring for attention bell", especially at Chorleywood, where getting their attention can be problematic. I have suggested it to them several times.