#1 Jeannie686

Jeannie686

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:46 AM

:lol:Hi All!

Hoping you can help me; I have a possibility of getting a new job in Aylesbury. I live in Chesham but can be dropped off in Amersham in the mornings by my other half.

Is the Chiltern the only way to get to Aylesbury? Or are there buses that take you there? At the moment I work in London and pay 6 each way, I thought working in Aylesbury would be cheaper but from looking at National Rail the fares are actually 6.90? I take it getting a bus would be cheaper (although take longer but I use the Met Line, I'm used to long journeys!).

Thanks in advance.

#2 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:27 PM

Tiger Line Although they look they may start a bit too late if you want to get there before 9am.

#3 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,204 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 14 February 2011 - 01:28 PM

If there is a bus, I suspect it's infrequent and indirect. I drive to and from Aylesbury most days along the A413 and I don't see many buses other than the odd school bus. I occasionally catch the train and it is quick and reliable but, as you say, not cheap. However, I presume a season ticket would reduce the daily cost.

#4 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:15 PM

Tiger Line is a lot cheaper than rail but there are only 5 services a day now. Journey time from Chesham Broadway to Aylesbury Bus Station is 37 minutes compared with 24 minutes by rail from Amersham.
PeterC aka Chilternbirder

#5 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:30 PM

Tiger Line is a lot cheaper than rail but there are only 5 services a day now. Journey time from Chesham Broadway to Aylesbury Bus Station is 37 minutes compared with 24 minutes by rail from Amersham.

True but she would still have to get to Amersham from Chesham and return to Chesham from Amersham.Shame the bus doesnt serve rush hour better.

#6 funkydoodycool

funkydoodycool

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:36 PM

The train is 6.90 to Aylesbury single, but a return is 8.70 - LU don't have "return" fares, so you pay for two singles to London, hence 6 each way. Whilst its a lot of money just to go to Aylesbury and back, it is less than a return to London.

A season ticket wouldn't help you in this case - tickets from Amersham to Aylesbury are priced as off-peak all day, as you are going away from London on the outward journey. Season tickets are based on the peak fares, and a weekly is more than the price of 5 return tickets.

It may have changed, but last year the fare from Chesham to Aylesbury was LESS than from Amersham to Aylesbury. I don't know why...