#1 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 01:34 PM

London Travel Watch have produced a report - see www.londontravelwatch.org.uk

They have considered what could be done in the future on lines into Marylebone and the impact on the Metropolitan line.

Some key hopes are -

A West Hampstead Interchange station where you could change between Chiltern / Metropolitan / Jubilee / Thameslink and London overground - I would persoanlly love this!

They recommend a total recast of the Met timetable and also electrifying Amersham to Aylesbury and transferring that to TFL
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#2 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 02:30 PM

They recommend a total recast of the Met timetable and also electrifying Amersham to Aylesbury and transferring that to TFL

With such a level of expansion TfL would have to cease to be the Mayor of London's personal fiefdom.
PeterC aka Chilternbirder

#3 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 09:47 PM

Another 10 years of replacement buses every weekend?
David P

#4 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 10:31 PM

Another 10 years of replacement buses every weekend?

:D Thats probably one you can be more certain of over the next 10 years.

#5 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:19 AM

London Travel Watch have produced a report - see www.londontravelwatch.org.uk

They have considered what could be done in the future on lines into Marylebone and the impact on the Metropolitan line.

Some key hopes are -

A West Hampstead Interchange station where you could change between Chiltern / Metropolitan / Jubilee / Thameslink and London overground - I would persoanlly love this!

Chiltern had detailed plans on their website 3 or 4 years ago of the West Hampstead idea. Would make total sense and make Finchley Road surplus to requirements.

#6 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:00 PM

There doesn't look like sufficient room for Chiltern to put platforms in at West Hampstead without taking adjacent property. Throw in the Met and at there are some major changes to the track formation as well as lineside building. Useful interchanges for journeys like Chesham to Camden Road or Beaconsfield to Canary Warf but cost effective?

#7 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:48 PM

There doesn't look like sufficient room for Chiltern to put platforms in at West Hampstead without taking adjacent property. Throw in the Met and at there are some major changes to the track formation as well as lineside building. Useful interchanges for journeys like Chesham to Camden Road or Beaconsfield to Canary Warf but cost effective?

From memory, the Chiltern plans for the inter change involved moving all the tracks to the east (onto the old milk depot and (I think) car repair site), re doing West End Lane which goes over the lines above on a bridge and joining the station with the north London line to make a large station with Chiltern, Met, Jubilee and north London line platforms and then a better link to Thameslink which is just a bit further on.

I use West Hampstead almost everyday to get from the Jubilee (having had to go to Finchley Road on the Met, then back one stop) to the North London line. Crossing the busy West End Lane can be a problem owing to traffic and narrow pavements. There are large numbers of people making the same connection as me and in the other direction. The option of in the future being able to change and picking up a Thameslink train to Kings Cross or further sound (or north) would also be useful.

I believe Cambden Council are keen to improve the area, but it boils down to who will pay for it all.
Matthew P Jones

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#8 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:50 PM

I thought that the proposed connection between the existing stations was quite independent of the Chiltern proposal. Shifting both Met and Jubilee to the east would cause massive disruption.

Is doubling back a better alternative to walking up Finchley Road to Finchley Road and Frognal station? Both are valid "out of station interchanges" so for Oyster so there is no financial penalty.

#9 Tallguy

Tallguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 09:34 PM

Yes, it's cost effective, yes it helps unify transport and yes it would be justified. Will it happen? Not in the next decade, if ever.

I fully support the proposal and the subsequent closure of Finchley Road Met station.

#10 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,007 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:14 PM

Is doubling back a better alternative to walking up Finchley Road to Finchley Road and Frognal station? Both are valid "out of station interchanges" so for Oyster so there is no financial penalty.

The Finchley Road & Frognal V West Hampstead decision! I do use both options, if I see a Jubilee train within 5 minutes a Finchley Road, then I get that, otherwise I walk to F R & F, but the walk along Finchley Road can be a bit of a scrum close by the Met station as again the pavement is quite narrow and you can get crowds waiting for buses and coaches that stop there. I also don't link the road crossing by the O2 centre as unless you wait for the green man - which I do - there is a bit of a blind corner for seeing traffic that filter left.

If West Hampsted were to be developed Tallguy, I don't think Finchley Road Met would close as it is a busy station with users from the Finchley Road area.
Matthew P Jones

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#11 echinosum

echinosum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:01 PM

What a load of nonsense that report is. A shopping list for a railway region that has already been very generously served and expanded over the last 20 years. Lots of demands for extras services on the basis that "one ought to have services" without any demonstration of cost-effectiveness, just dogma that certain stations must have so many services. The people who wrote that report like to play trains and spend other people's money. Fortunately the government doesn't spend money on railways without it passing value-for-money tests, and I think that most of what they demand would fail.

Giving Aylesbury-London to TfL is just nonsense, and would be stoutly resisted by the people TW misguidedly think it would help. The underlying problem is that the Wembley-Baker St section of railway is overused, given the limited number of terminal platforms and all the flat junctions at the London end. When they talk about the standing-for-no-more-than-20 mins rule, they surely already realise that this is impossible, because TfL has just bought a load of trains that are inconsistent with such service standards, and demonstrates that it has absolutely no ambition to serve Aylesbury. 3rd rail, let alone 4th rail, is an uneconomic and outdated technology, and the thought of expanding its coverage does not enthrall me. Most of Chiltern's trains are about 20 years old now, and although TW talk about needing to think of replacing them in 10 years time, the reality is that such trains are routinely life-extended.

Just about the only sensible thing they say is the need to recast the Met line/Aylesbury timetable to make a sensible overall service proposition. TfL's approach to that has been for operational convenince rather than passenger convenience.