10 replies to this topic

#1 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

The air ambulance had a busy day in Chesham today. They first landed at the top of the hill behind me and took a horserider off to hospital, then they came back and picked up another horserider and landed behind our barn on the edge of Latimer Road so they could unload her, she was less seriously injured, into an ambulance.

The following clip is of the air ambulance taking off for the final time.

Mel and Co

#2 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:14 PM

McDonnell Douglas MD 902. It doesn't have a tail rotor, very clever design and particularly good for ambulance work. Notice how quiet it is compared to other helicopters? It doesn't often come this far out, usually it operates inside the M25.

These run on charity funds, largely. Virgin give about 150k a year and some comes from the NHS. I give to this charity - you never know when you might need them

#3 Tallguy

Tallguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:47 PM

dever forget the time it landed at the Inns Of Court off Greys Inn Road in London. Came over our office block at around 200ft and the pilot landed it between the tress on the central garden. Best bit of chopper flying I've ever seen (and I have had a few rides scary in Helicopters over the years).

#4 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:44 PM

The Examiner is reporting the story too. According to them, "London's air ambulance arrived at the scene and mobilised the female before taking her to the bottom of the hill where she was taken to hospital by ambulance." ;)

I confess I'm unsure why it's quite so newsworthy (surely the air ambulance is used fairly regularly?), but perhaps the clue is in the phrase "allegedly participating in a hunt", although as I understand it, it's legal to "hunt" as long as the fox isn't killed by hounds.

Examiner story

#5 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 07:32 AM

What else do you expect from the Bucks Exaggerator?
Mel and Co

#6 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:59 PM

They cant even decide what sex the person was :)

Woman airlifted to hospital after being thrown from horse

A MAN has been airlifted to hospital after being thrown from his horse whilst allegedly participating in a hunt.Read

If you go to the main site befor clicking on the story.Nearly always spot mistakes from this paper, it's as if they go to press with no editor.

#7 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:32 PM

The whole article is an absolute nightmare. The comment from the witness (I can neither confirm or deny that it was me) makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and appears to have been written in pigeon english! I'm sure that the witness is very pleased that she doesn't have her name in print to be associated with such poor reporting...
Mel and Co

#8 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:21 PM

appears to have been written in pigeon english!

Pigeon? The Examiner's typos must be catching. ;)

#9 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:35 PM

Pigeon? The Examiner's typos must be catching. ;)

Unlike the Examiner's 'reporters' I don't make a living from writing so my standard of English is not important, add to that I've been out for the evening and had a few glasses of wine so I'm slightly more devil may care than usual.
Mel and Co

#10 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:56 PM

Good for you; I hope you had a lovely evening. I wouldn't normally point it out a typo, but when you were criticising their spelling, I couldn't resist.

#11 Old Resident

Old Resident

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Interests:Cake decorating and anything to do with cooking.

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:38 AM

[quote name='Fran' date='19 February 2011 - 10:56 PM' timestamp='1298156179' post='29127']
Good for you; I hope you had a lovely evening. I wouldn't normally point it out a typo, but when you were criticising their spelling, I couldn't resist.

What a pity you could not 'resist', it would have been far better left unsaid.