• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Saunders Searcher

Saunders Searcher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:57 PM

We are researching the Saunders line of my family tree but have reached a dead end. It is more difficult accessing records from here in Australia. I am hoping that someone still living in Amersham may have information to share. We have gone back as far as the beginning of the 19th century with John and Martha Saunders. Their family were all farm labourers/straw plaiters until they branched off to Camberwell about 100 years later. Does anyone have any information about this couple and their ancestors?

#2 Denise

Denise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Walking, Travel, Home renovation, Piano, Arts and Crafts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:49 AM

I have no connection to your family , but you may be lucky and find a relative still in the area, although my own researches show that my relatives were much more mobile than I had thought. Many farm labourers moved into london in the 19th c in search of employment. However I did a quick look up for John and Martha Saunders and have a match in the 1841 census in Amersham. There is also a William Saunders mentioned aged 68 resident at the same household. There are a few Saunders in the area so is this your family?

Once you get back to the early 1800's in the UK it is usually a case of accessing records through the parish registers unless you are lucky enough to connect with someone through Ancestry searching the same family line and the following link may be useful to youBuckinghamshire Records. There is also an extensive photograph archive which may also be of interest. Bucks Photo Archive

Good luck with your searching and hope this helps.