Tenuous "local" Link To International News

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 02 March 2011 - 01:27 PM

Am I just cynical, or is it ludicrously irrelevant for the BFP to report that 47 years ago, Gaddafi spent a few months learning English in Beaconsfield? No great insight is offered, merely the fact that he was young, junior and "didn't stand out from the crowd". And why would we want to advertise local links to such a man anyway?

See BFP story.

#2 PaulAmersham

PaulAmersham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:49 PM

I found it quite interesting - I knew he had some training in the UK, but didn't realise it extended to language lessons in Bucks. I'm not sure the role of a journalist is simply to promote positive lcoal stories....this is clearly a topical mini feature (rather than news) which has obvious local interest. We should also remember that there are plenty of serving military folk in the local area (RAF base in Wycombe etc...) - I am pretty sure they will find this of interest, not to mention plenty of others (language teachers, history/politics students, I could go on....)

#3 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 02 March 2011 - 05:01 PM

I wasn't suggesting the connection should be hushed up or that local journalism should be an extension of the tourist industry (not that that is what you said I was saying). ;)

However, his brief training course was presumably already a matter of public record, so unless there is new insight into the man and his country (none was mentioned), I don't see the point in a story that boils down to the fact that there IS no story - because it was nearly 50 years ago and he was eminently forgetable. His fellow students will mostly have returned to their home countries and most of his teachers retired or even died.

However, I'm open to persuasion, and if anyone thinks it's really important, perhaps they should alert the national press...

#4 PaulAmersham

PaulAmersham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:53 PM

It is indeed a matter of public record - but I doubt anyone reading the paper regularaly knew this (other than his teachers?). It is topical now, considering the situation.

I'm not sure why you are concerned that it advertises "local links"!

I'm not one to normally praise the BFP (their reporting is shoddy at best), and not that I am praising them here, but it has a clear local interest element. But I concede it's a bit of a throw away story - probably best as part of an editorial on the current troubles, rather than a stand alone "news" story (thus my suggestion that it's a min feature, which doesn't have to have the same news hook)

interesting to see it has generated a few comments on their site anyway - normally people don't bother, so it's obviously interested a few others...

#5 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:31 PM

I'm not sure why you are concerned that it advertises "local links"!

I'm not "concerned"; merely a little puzzled. The "local interest" may be local geographically, but is so distant chronologically and so lacking in detail that I don't see the relevance - but it seems that I may be in a minority.

#6 HP6

HP6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:52 PM

It doesn't say whether he visited Bekonscot.

#7 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:05 AM

The public must be told!

PeterC aka Chilternbirder

#8 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:29 PM

:lol:

There is now a follow-up story listing other notable figures with a Beaconsfield connection. Disraeli is significant and is well-know for local ties, the birth of Sarah Brown, perhaps less so: BFP article.

The public must be told!

Bekonscot gets a mention in this article, but only because it contains a replica of Enid Blyton's home.

#9 HP6

HP6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:42 PM

Another notable figure with a Beaconsfield connection.

http://www.bucksfree...ervice_station/

#10 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:52 PM

Another notable figure with a Beaconsfield connection.

http://www.bucksfree...ervice_station/

That article has some reader supplied comments, one of which amused me greatly.

The article fails to mention whether Mr Andre was working at the service station, or just passing through...

#11 HP6

HP6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:55 PM

[post deleted]