• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 Parent

Parent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:11 PM

I live in Amersham but my child has been allocated a primary school place in Holmer Green - 7 miles from where we live. We know there are other parents in Amersham who are in a similar situation and would be interested in getting their views; if you know of someone, please could you ask them to respond to this post. Many thanks.

#2 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:52 PM

That seems slightly odd, when Bell Lane reportedly has spaces and is obviously a lot closer. That's not to say it would be a better option, but I find it difficult to understand how you were allocated Holmer Green instead.

What catchment do you live in? Were there any other factors that might have had an effect (e.g. moving into the area after the deadline)?

If there are an appreciable number of such cases, it does suggest that Bucks CC is failing in its duty to provide school places where they are needed.

#3 Rob75

Rob75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 07:35 AM

Seems to have been a very competitive year.

A couple of schools filled up very quickly (anecdotally, lots of siblings) - eg Chestnut Lane only went to around 0.4 miles, Little Chalfont only went to 0.5 miles. Consequently, this means other schools fill up quickly - eg St Georges filled up far closer that it normally would (and Bell Lane is also full).

As such, I can well believe that those unlucky enough to be a bit too far from all of these missed out. And I guess the Chestnut Lane catchment area would be a hotspot.

Same sort of thing happened in Beaconsfield last year - all of the primaries filling up within catchment. I think that might have been fixed by a bulge class. Seeing that St Georges was preparing to take on more if Bell Lane closed, this would seem a possibility.

But there will be a bit of a merry go round over the next few weeks as people drop out (eg plenty apply to state primaries in case, but then go to private schools), freeing up spaces and moving through waiting lists. So if there are just a couple of you, you should end up with somewhere closer (likely St Georges or Bell Lane). I doubt the council would do anything in advance of this process. Just make sure you are on a waiting list for a realistic school.

But Bucks Admissions are very helpful. They would probably be able to give you some numbers.

#4 Speedy

Speedy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 07:47 PM

We put in for elmtree school as my daughter goes to nursery there, but we were allocated newtown school instead, as it is 100 metres closer! Elmtree has some spaces left as well, go figure :blink:

#5 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:29 PM

If your first choice has spaces, is it worth appealing?

#6 Rob75

Rob75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 08:06 AM

We put in for elmtree school as my daughter goes to nursery there, but we were allocated newtown school instead, as it is 100 metres closer! Elmtree has some spaces left as well, go figure :blink:

Doesn't sound right. If they had space and you had it as a higher preference, you would have got a space. If they haven't done this then it is an easy appeal because they haven't applied the rules correctly.

Admission stats say Elmtree was oversubscribed, and places went outside catchment to a distance of about 1 mile from the school. They also say it is full.

If places at Elmtree have become available since the allocation day, they'll be allocated at the end of May based on the waiting list (using the same criteria as before). So make sure you are on the waiting list.

#7 Speedy

Speedy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 11:29 AM

That's what we were planning to do :)

#8 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:44 PM

Good luck, Speedy.

And as your young daughter is a valuable member of the electorate, perhaps she could contact her MP. ;)

#9 Speedy

Speedy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:25 AM

Good luck, Speedy.

And as your young daughter is a valuable member of the electorate, perhaps she could contact her MP. ;)

That has brightened up my day :lol:

#10 zippys

zippys

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 07:32 AM

Hi, if you really wanted a certain school why didn't you moved closer? also amersham to holmer green is only 2 miles. The good news is the majority of the schools in Bucks are of very good standard, I would suggest its more important your child enjoys school and remember they will pick up your stress/dissapointment which isn't healthy start for your littleones education experience.

#11 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 08:26 AM

Hi, if you really wanted a certain school why didn't you moved closer?

I think that's a little harsh. Not everyone has the option to move, and in Speedy's case the first choice school is only 100 metres further away than the allocated one, so probably wouldn't have seemed necessary.

also amersham to holmer green is only 2 miles.

It's considerably further than that, and certainly rather far for a 4-year-old to walk or even cycle. If the parents work or have children at other schools, the logistics could be quite time-consuming and complex.

The good news is the majority of the schools in Bucks are of very good standard, I would suggest its more important your child enjoys school and remember they will pick up your stress/dissapointment which isn't healthy start for your littleones education experience.

On that we can agree. :)

#12 Speedy

Speedy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 03:59 PM

If i had the option to move i would as i don't get on well with one of my neighbours, but unless a rich person offers me loads of money to buy a house then it aint happening.

I agree about bucks schools being of a good standard, but from having older children that have been to different schools, i do have first hand experience in some of the schools in chesham. However, with regards to the school in which we were offered, none of my kids have been to it, and i have been told by numerous parents that there have been issues with some of the school staff. After hearing such comments, i don't really want my daughter to go there, but have been left with no option but to accept it for the sake of my daughters education.

#13 cathindia

cathindia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 12:55 PM

Hi, I am another of the parents whose child has been allocated a place in Reception at Holmer Green. However in my case my daughter has been allocated a place in Year 3 at Chesham Bois. I have no idea at present how I am going to get both children to school on time and picked up on time. I would love to know how many children have been allocated a place at Holmer Green. Should we be arguing, as suggested by one member, that additional space be made at one of the Amersham primaries to take all these children. Any suggestions anyone can make would be welcome. As far as I can work it out, all the children who have been allocated Holmer Green fall in the Chestnut Lane catchment - so we should all be relatively close to each other. How is anyone else going to get their child to school? The council will not provide transport for my son until January as he will not be 5 until then......

#14 Speedy

Speedy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:46 PM

Update on this, we have refused the school we were offered and gone on the waiting list for our original preferred choice. At the end of the day there's no point sending my daughter to a school we are not happy with.

#15 Rob75

Rob75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:45 PM

Update on this, we have refused the school we were offered and gone on the waiting list for our original preferred choice. At the end of the day there's no point sending my daughter to a school we are not happy with.

Not sure what the point of refusing a space is? Just means that your child has no place at any school.

I understand the sentiment, but in practical terms it has no effect on whether or not you get into your preferred schools. You can go on up to 3 waiting lists whether you accept the space or not. If a space comes up, and you are next in line, you will be offered it.

The reason parents are encouraged to accept offers is not so you can be forgotten about, rather so your child has a space at a school.

Good news for one of the Amersham parents though - that's one space closer than Holmer Green!

#16 Rob75

Rob75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:59 PM

Hi, I am another of the parents whose child has been allocated a place in Reception at Holmer Green. However in my case my daughter has been allocated a place in Year 3 at Chesham Bois. I have no idea at present how I am going to get both children to school on time and picked up on time. I would love to know how many children have been allocated a place at Holmer Green. Should we be arguing, as suggested by one member, that additional space be made at one of the Amersham primaries to take all these children. Any suggestions anyone can make would be welcome. As far as I can work it out, all the children who have been allocated Holmer Green fall in the Chestnut Lane catchment - so we should all be relatively close to each other. How is anyone else going to get their child to school? The council will not provide transport for my son until January as he will not be 5 until then......

There is a thread here on another forum with some contact details of other parents in your situation, so you can get in touch.

http://www.netmums.c...t-children.html

As I said previously, Bucks Admissions dept are very helpful with providing info. I suspect a bulge class at St Georges will be the answer, but it won't happen until a.) the next couple of rounds of allocations are processed in case the problem goes away by itself, and b.) you all make a bit of a fuss with the council.

#17 Danny Boy

Danny Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:05 AM

Having spoken to BCC education leaders about this issue, Iím afraid this is a problem which will continue and get worse. They havenít grasped the scale of the growing demand for primary school places in the area. They are still have a mindset that the recent rise in demand is just a fluctuation in a level trend and they can muddle through. They also, blinded by political correctness, refuse to acknowledge the issue of immigration and migration. There is little immigration to areas like Amersham, but there is a lot of migration from suburban London by those escaping immigration affected areas and attracted by reputable schools. Estate Agents will tell you that 90% of houses sold in the area are to couples with young children or wanting children, and most of these are coming from London.

Beaconsfield, last year, had to provide 30 extra places for reception age, after finding so many children in the town were without a local school. In one school, more than 2/3s of places were taken by siblings. Amersham has 4 of the 5 schools with the biggest demand in the whole of Bucks, if you go by places given by distance.

Unfortunately, just as the last Government presided over an immigration led population and birth-rate explosion, they spent all the money and landed us with an unsustainable debt. Therefore, LAs have no money to spend on capital investment for new school buildings. Itís a mess.

Church schools have a bit more flexibility, so its possible one of them will provide a bulge class (as already said) if funding can be found. Also, if one or more parents manage to win appeals (very rare), the school will have to provide for an extra teacher by law. Then, they will need to find some space or put up a portakabin. This was the case in Beaconsfield.

#18 cathindia

cathindia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:08 PM

There is a thread here on another forum with some contact details of other parents in your situation, so you can get in touch.

http://www.netmums.c...t-children.html

As I said previously, Bucks Admissions dept are very helpful with providing info. I suspect a bulge class at St Georges will be the answer, but it won't happen until a.) the next couple of rounds of allocations are processed in case the problem goes away by itself, and b.) you all make a bit of a fuss with the council.

Thanks for the link. I have now been in touch with another parent who has a child allocated a place at Holmer Green. There are 19 families whose children failed to get a place at Chestnut Lane (their catchment school) and have been allocated places at a variety of other schools in the county. This is a significant number. It is also becoming the situation that there are areas of Amersham where to live, means not to get a place at a school in Amersham. This clearly needs to be sorted out. Hopefully we will be able to form enough pressure to get a "bulge" class added, but this is not a long term solution. Please if you are in this situation, do follow the link to Netmums and help add pressure to Bucks County.

#19 Rob75

Rob75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for the link. I have now been in touch with another parent who has a child allocated a place at Holmer Green. There are 19 families whose children failed to get a place at Chestnut Lane (their catchment school) and have been allocated places at a variety of other schools in the county. This is a significant number. It is also becoming the situation that there are areas of Amersham where to live, means not to get a place at a school in Amersham. This clearly needs to be sorted out. Hopefully we will be able to form enough pressure to get a "bulge" class added, but this is not a long term solution. Please if you are in this situation, do follow the link to Netmums and help add pressure to Bucks County.

With regards to your situation specifically, did you go on the waiting list for Chesham Bois? Might be worth clarifying with Bucks Admissions whether your younger one is now classed as a sibling, and therefore top of the list (outside catchment - although I note all catchment applications got in anyway).

Wider, and longer-term, St Georges and Woodside have the scope to expand - that was the plan to deal with the Bell Lane kids. I understand the council are looking into demographic patterns - it is necessary to work out whether this is a one-off, or a long-term problem.

My perception is that many young families are moving to the area for the quality of the schools (for example, ironically, you, I guess) amongst other things, and it will continue to be an issue.

#20 cathindia

cathindia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:20 PM

Thanks again for the interest and support. We did ask Bucks Admissions if our son would now be considered a sibling on the waiting list or later allocation rounds for Chesham Bois. They told us quite categorically NO. Very unhelpful and also rather contrary to the whole "families must be at the heart of the admissions process"..... It does seem that they are not trying to be helpful or that their policies really do not work in the real world. They have also told us that neither of our children with offers of place will count as a sibling when we apply for our third child for a place in Year 6 (which we cannot do until end May). Work the logic in that out, we can't. I am not sure what they are trying to achieve by this. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has ended up with their siblings split up in this way.

#21 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:39 PM

Having spoken to BCC education leaders about this issue, Iím afraid this is a problem which will continue and get worse. They havenít grasped the scale of the growing demand for primary school places in the area. They are still have a mindset that the recent rise in demand is just a fluctuation in a level trend and they can muddle through. They also, blinded by political correctness, refuse to acknowledge the issue of immigration and migration. There is little immigration to areas like Amersham, but there is a lot of migration from suburban London by those escaping immigration affected areas and attracted by reputable schools. Estate Agents will tell you that 90% of houses sold in the area are to couples with young children or wanting children, and most of these are coming from London.

Beaconsfield, last year, had to provide 30 extra places for reception age, after finding so many children in the town were without a local school. In one school, more than 2/3s of places were taken by siblings. Amersham has 4 of the 5 schools with the biggest demand in the whole of Bucks, if you go by places given by distance.

Unfortunately, just as the last Government presided over an immigration led population and birth-rate explosion, they spent all the money and landed us with an unsustainable debt. Therefore, LAs have no money to spend on capital investment for new school buildings. Itís a mess.

First, this isn't an appropriate place for you to use as an outlet for your ill informed political 'views'.

Second, you contradict yourself in multiple different ways. As you correctly say, the shortfall has been building over a number of years (see the situation in Beaconsfield you refer to), and was true during a time when Bucks CC had no shortage of funds. So what you describe has nothing to do with the cuts currently being imposed by central government - and in any case Bucks has got off *very* lightly as a result of the politically-motivated changes in the way central government grant is calculated.

Wider, and longer-term, St Georges and Woodside have the scope to expand - that was the plan to deal with the Bell Lane kids. I understand the council are looking into demographic patterns - it is necessary to work out whether this is a one-off, or a long-term problem.

The only way St George's could expand is via a portakabin, which is highly unsatisfactory. And a bulge class isn't going to cut it - we need a long-term solution, not a degradation of the educational experience for an entire school full of children.

#22 Rob75

Rob75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:22 PM

The only way St George's could expand is via a portakabin, which is highly unsatisfactory.

You may be right - I simply don't know. As you are aware (I know you were strongly opposed to this), this is taken from the Bell Lane proposals a couple of months ago:

"...St. Georges and Woodside...do have accommodation which can be adapted for extra classes. The admission numbers of these schools will be increased above the current published numbers by up to 15 children in each year group from Reception to Year 2 at
St. Georges and for Years 3 to 6 at Woodside"

So if that was the council's answer to providing the necessary space for additional children 2 months ago, it is likely to be its answer now (if it is deemed necessary).

#23 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:23 PM

Cath, I'm so sorry to hear the hassles you are having. It does sound ludicrous, though all I can suggest is that you contact admissions again and hope you get a different and more helpful person, though I suppose they may say the same. Failing that, I suppose you will have to put various children on various waiting lists and, when you get here, try to arrange lift shares with neighbours. Good luck.

#24 Danny Boy

Danny Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:36 AM

First, this isn't an appropriate place for you to use as an outlet for your ill informed political 'views'.

Second, you contradict yourself in multiple different ways. As you correctly say, the shortfall has been building over a number of years (see the situation in Beaconsfield you refer to), and was true during a time when Bucks CC had no shortage of funds. So what you describe has nothing to do with the cuts currently being imposed by central government - and in any case Bucks has got off *very* lightly as a result of the politically-motivated changes in the way central government grant is calculated.

The only way St George's could expand is via a portakabin, which is highly unsatisfactory. And a bulge class isn't going to cut it - we need a long-term solution, not a degradation of the educational experience for an entire school full of children.

You could of course explain what aspect of my post was ďill-informedĒ and contradictory. The shortfall has been growing only relatively recently. The rise in demand for places has been rapid. Last year, Beaconsfield had an increase in reception applications in the region of 25%. The failure to act has been institutionalised by a Govt that sought to hide and play down the affects of its policies. BCC will argue they have not been sufficiently funded. The changes to grants to LAs are an attempt to make them more fair after the previous Govtís attempts to gerrymander votes by favouring their core regions.

As for opposing teaching children in portakabins, would you rather they commuted 7 miles every day? I want to see my children educated locally by quality teachers, within a quality curriculum and a sense of discipline. I have no desire for a hugely expensive, trendy, architect designed buildings, which my grandchildren will be paying the interest on the debt to build it. The short-term solution is to ensure local children are educated locally. The long-term solution is for Central Govt to tackle failures in education (some people in Bucks should cross the M25 border and see just how bad things are in some areas) and start telling the truth about immigration.

#25 ThreeDaysGrace

ThreeDaysGrace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 07:34 PM

Thanks again for the interest and support. We did ask Bucks Admissions if our son would now be considered a sibling on the waiting list or later allocation rounds for Chesham Bois. They told us quite categorically NO. Very unhelpful and also rather contrary to the whole "families must be at the heart of the admissions process"..... It does seem that they are not trying to be helpful or that their policies really do not work in the real world. They have also told us that neither of our children with offers of place will count as a sibling when we apply for our third child for a place in Year 6 (which we cannot do until end May). Work the logic in that out, we can't. I am not sure what they are trying to achieve by this. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has ended up with their siblings split up in this way.

Just interested to know why you want to get into Chesham Bois? Is it your nearest school? My eldest is there, but my youngest (due to start this sept) wouldn't have got in on the sibling rule as eldest is in year 6. Even if she had, I wouldn't have wanted her going there, I've seen that school change so much.

#26 cathindia

cathindia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 03:24 AM

Just interested to know why you want to get into Chesham Bois? Is it your nearest school? My eldest is there, but my youngest (due to start this sept) wouldn't have got in on the sibling rule as eldest is in year 6. Even if she had, I wouldn't have wanted her going there, I've seen that school change so much.

Elangeni and Chestnut Lane are our catchment schools. But my children failed to get in there. I see little possibility of getting them in unless the pressure group manages to get an extra bulge reception class added there. My daughter (going into Year3) was allocated Chesham Bois, which is our next closest school, and my son (Reception) was allocated Holmer Green (7 miles away) so our view is that it was better to try to get both on them into Chesham Bois. But, aside from its Ofsted and looking at the website, we don't know much about the school. We had thought that bascially all the schools in Amersham were of a good standard. Chesham Bois does have an excellent ofsted. Though I know this isn't the only thing we need to consider. I did also note that the Head had changed since the previous ofsted. I would love to hear more about the school (or other schools from anyone). I have posted you privately as well. Thanks for all the advice from everyone so far.

#27 ThreeDaysGrace

ThreeDaysGrace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 08:37 AM

Elangeni and Chestnut Lane are our catchment schools. But my children failed to get in there. I see little possibility of getting them in unless the pressure group manages to get an extra bulge reception class added there. My daughter (going into Year3) was allocated Chesham Bois, which is our next closest school, and my son (Reception) was allocated Holmer Green (7 miles away) so our view is that it was better to try to get both on them into Chesham Bois. But, aside from its Ofsted and looking at the website, we don't know much about the school. We had thought that bascially all the schools in Amersham were of a good standard. Chesham Bois does have an excellent ofsted. Though I know this isn't the only thing we need to consider. I did also note that the Head had changed since the previous ofsted. I would love to hear more about the school (or other schools from anyone). I have posted you privately as well. Thanks for all the advice from everyone so far.

Hi, I have replied to you message :) But I did just want to say on here for anyone else reading... my daughter has always been happy at Chesham Bois, and she has been there since reception. I'm not a huge 'believer' in Ofsted reports, I think there is a lot more to a school than an inspector can see in one day (a day that has been specially arranged to make the school look good!)
I have seen the school change rather a lot in the last few years, and in my personal opinion I don't like what I see. Obviously this is my opinion only.

#28 Milton

Milton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Cricket, music, travel.

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:28 PM

I don't know much about primary admissions, so this is largely irrelevant to this thread, but I do know that secondary admissions have been a bit odd this year too. Most of the local grammar schools have either not quite filled up, or taken students from a larger area than in the last few years. There is no obvious explanation for this. Clearly an unusual year for school admissions at ages 5 and 11.

I wish all those struggling with the circumstances they find themselves in all the best in resolving it to their satisfaction.

#29 ThreeDaysGrace

ThreeDaysGrace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 06:42 PM

I don't know much about primary admissions, so this is largely irrelevant to this thread, but I do know that secondary admissions have been a bit odd this year too. Most of the local grammar schools have either not quite filled up, or taken students from a larger area than in the last few years. There is no obvious explanation for this. Clearly an unusual year for school admissions at ages 5 and 11.

I wish all those struggling with the circumstances they find themselves in all the best in resolving it to their satisfaction.

And due to the age gap between my two, I've dealt with both lots of admissions this year! Glad it's all over and done with a for while!

#30 nmohacs

nmohacs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:30 AM

I live in Amersham but my child has been allocated a primary school place in Holmer Green - 7 miles from where we live. We know there are other parents in Amersham who are in a similar situation and would be interested in getting their views; if you know of someone, please could you ask them to respond to this post. Many thanks.

Hi -

I live in Amersham and my daughter Lily has been allocated a place at Holmer Green also.

We may know each other already as a group of similarly affected parents have got together. My name is <xx> - but if not and if you would like to get in touch, my email is <xx>

Thanks - Natalie.

Edited by PaulEden, 11 May 2011 - 09:45 PM.
removed personal details. Users should use PM to contact.