23 replies to this topic

#1 ianbartlett

ianbartlett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 12:41 PM

Does anyone know who is responsible for leaving a variety of very ugly and poorly drawn 'white elephant' sign boards near the roundabout junction of Copperkins Lane and the main road between Amersham and Chesham? They are unsightly and are, apparently, someone's idea of an effective protest against HS2 which isn't coming anywhere near Copperkins Lane.

I shall be removing them and taking them to the tip at some point in the next few days, but would like to give the person who put them there the chance to remove them first.

#2 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:31 PM

I shall be removing them and taking them to the tip at some point in the next few days, but would like to give the person who put them there the chance to remove them first.

Good for you. And to think that one of their complaints was that the rail line would deface the countryside!
David P

#3 ianbartlett

ianbartlett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 01:51 PM

Good for you. And to think that one of their complaints was that the rail line would deface the countryside!

My thoughts exactly!

#4 primrose

primrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:16 PM

While you are at it, can you pop down and collect the the ones that have been placed along the Amersham/Missenden bypass. :)

#5 GJC

GJC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:40 PM

Not only are they ugly, buyt if you sit in a car in Copperkins Lane wanting to join roundabout the boards actually prevent you from seeing traffic approaching from the Boot & Slipper direction.

My initial reaction about the stupidity of the person doing it was tempered by my thought that it was probably a charitable fund raising activity (I missed the HS2 signs), otherwise I might have removed the offending sign myself. There are some people who do not support the anti-HS2 campaign and the campaigners are not doing themselves any favours.

I am also amazed that the Chesham Bois Parish Council have not done anything about them - when our school put up some signs about an Open Day we received a message from them instructing us to remove the signs immediately. Can't remember what reasons they gave at the time, but they use almost identical size signs in identical places themselves to advertise the Annual Village Fair.
GJC
Posted Image

#6 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 03:19 PM

There's little chance of the councils doing anything about them as it would surely be a vote loser - I'm afraid the Nimbys are in the majority around here.
David P

#7 struthie

struthie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:48 PM

There are some along Gore Hill now too.

#8 Rob

Rob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 06:24 PM

Does anyone know who is responsible for leaving a variety of very ugly and poorly drawn 'white elephant' sign boards near the roundabout junction of Copperkins Lane and the main road between Amersham and Chesham? They are unsightly and are, apparently, someone's idea of an effective protest against HS2 which isn't coming anywhere near Copperkins Lane.

I don't know who is responsible (and I too think they are ugly) but I think they are meant to advertise an anti HS2 rally in Amersham sometime in May.

As for saying HS2 isn't coming anywhere near Copperkins Lane, well that is 'nimbyism' at its worst - so if you lived nearer the proposed high speed line you would feel differently? Many people are opposing HS2 even if they don't live within sight of it for various reasons one of which is because it is going through the green belt and an 'Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty'.

#9 nikkinakkinooow

nikkinakkinooow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:05 PM

What a lot of fuss over a some signs! (understand that they should be moved if they are a dangerous obstruction.) I am happy for signs to highlight the issues of HS2. The signs are a lot less noisy and ugly than high speed trains cutting up the countryside. I thought it was our right to object? Or are we only allowed if they are minute and worthy of being hung in the Tate? Let's face it, they are doing their job and getting our attention!
P.S. I didn't put them up, but believe we all have the right to our opinion (for or against)

#10 mvjt

mvjt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:29 PM

As we drove past the ones on the dual carriageway the other day my husband commented that they were more effective at catching attention than the bog standard signs which generally go up.
As such I'm happy to keep them if they catch attention and bring awareness.

HS2 may not affect Copperkins Lane directly, but I'm sure you must drive on occasion along the beautiful valley which will be affected by this route.

#11 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 08:52 PM

What a lot of fuss over a some signs! (understand that they should be moved if they are a dangerous obstruction.) I am happy for signs to highlight the issues of HS2.
P.S. I didn't put them up, but believe we all have the right to our opinion (for or against)

Exactly they are just signs, seemed to have ruffled a few feathers though.If they are a obstructing someones view when driving I can understand they should be moved.There are signs about suppoting things I dont agree with/interested in, but I wouldnt dream of pulling them down, everyones entitled to their point of view/need to sell.I wonder if it was someone looking for their lost cat or a local company advertising a sale, would people feel the need to pull the signs down?

#12 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 09:25 PM

everyones entitled to their point of view/need to sell

So anyone should be allowed to put up whatever signs they like?
You would all be happy to see Tesco advertisements every 10 yards along every road in the district?

I'm not sure what the law is about fly-posting (for it is nothing less) but I wouldn't be surprised if it was flouting planning permission.
David P

#13 ianbartlett

ianbartlett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:50 AM

What a lot of fuss over a some signs! (understand that they should be moved if they are a dangerous obstruction.) I am happy for signs to highlight the issues of HS2. The signs are a lot less noisy and ugly than high speed trains cutting up the countryside. I thought it was our right to object? Or are we only allowed if they are minute and worthy of being hung in the Tate? Let's face it, they are doing their job and getting our attention!

Everyone has a right to their opinion, but nobody has a right to litter public spaces. Most organisations holding a fair or local event get permission from the local authority to allow their signs to be up for a few days; they do not simply plant signs on grass verges at dangerous junctions.

Simply idiotic.

#14 Rob

Rob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 08:46 AM

Everyone has a right to their opinion, but nobody has a right to litter public spaces. Most organisations holding a fair or local event get permission from the local authority to allow their signs to be up for a few days; they do not simply plant signs on grass verges at dangerous junctions.

Simply idiotic.

Oh yes they do!

Calling people names does not make you right.

#15 Rob75

Rob75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 10:16 AM

Whether people do put signs up without permission or not, I believe the fact is flyposting is illegal.

I've always thought that must be why people are employed to hold up signs and sandwich boards - "carpet sale", "golf sale", etc. - because static signs require permission.

#16 ianbartlett

ianbartlett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:19 PM

Oh yes they do!

Calling people names does not make you right.

People DO have a right to litter public spaces? Are you absolutely sure about that?

Still, let's see who gets held to account when the first crash happens because of poor visibility at the junction.

#17 mvjt

mvjt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:31 PM

Still, let's see who gets held to account when the first crash happens because of poor visibility at the junction.

But I thought, from your initial post, that you wanted them removed because they were ugly, poorly drawn and unsightly. Visibility wasn't an issue for you.

#18 ianbartlett

ianbartlett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:34 PM

But I thought, from your initial post, that you wanted them removed because they were ugly, poorly drawn and unsightly. Visibility wasn't an issue for you.

A user of Copperkins Lane mentioned that - see above. More important than the unsightly nature of the boards I'd say, and they are certainly a distraction at a busy junction.

#19 gazza13

gazza13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:10 PM

I thought they were for a boot sale. I was packing the stuff in my car ready to sell.

#20 gizmo

gizmo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Currently finding a family house in Amersham.

Posted 28 April 2011 - 07:40 PM

A couple of thoughts.... the sign text is not big enough to read them as one drives past.....

traffic obstruction is not a good thing...... I can always hold the sign for a tenner an hour.....at the weekend. Copperkins lane is abit posh for signs like these...... should be sponsored by Savills.

#21 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:11 PM

Quite amazing how much reaction some posters have caused.I have a feeling that its more the subject of the posters that is causing people distress, more than the posters themselves.

#22 ianbartlett

ianbartlett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:49 PM

Quite amazing how much reaction some posters have caused.I have a feeling that its more the subject of the posters that is causing people distress, more than the posters themselves.

Probably true, but they are unsightly. I don't actually live in Chesham Bois, but drive past there every day; I just thought they looked awful...makes the corner look like a bit of rough wasteland.

That said, as a protest poster they're pretty useless - no indication of what they're about so only those few with an interest in HS2 (either pro or anti) will have any idea what they are for. They look more like an advert for a school summer fayre or, with the £ signs on them, something to do with UKIP.

#23 SallyH

SallyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:20 PM

Probably true, but they are unsightly. I don't actually live in Chesham Bois, but drive past there every day; I just thought they looked awful...makes the corner look like a bit of rough wasteland.

That said, as a protest poster they're pretty useless - no indication of what they're about so only those few with an interest in HS2 (either pro or anti) will have any idea what they are for. They look more like an advert for a school summer fayre or, with the signs on them, something to do with UKIP.

I live in Copperkins Lane, have no objection to the White Elephant signs and agree with a previous post, they are are a lot less of an eyesore than HS2 will be if it goes ahead. And the the fact that HS2 does not go through that part of Amersham/Chesham Bois is irrelevent. If the building of HS2 goes ahead, we will all be affected by the construction traffic and diversions for years, and then we will have to look at it and listen to it for ever more when it is completed. Whoever put up the signs has my admiration. I also have a sneaky suspicion that because they look home made some of the previous posters are just being snobby about them.

#24 gazza13

gazza13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:08 PM

Even more signs on the corner of Copperkins Lane now, in addition to the HS2 we have Chesham Bois Tennis club open day and the Hyde Heath fete. Perhaps Dominos pizza will want to put a board there, or one of their staff dressed as spiderman. There must be a law against this unneeded chavvyness.