5 replies to this topic

#1 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:44 PM

We've just returned from a few days in Spain where we hired a Seat Leon 1.6TDI. My question is this: We drove 256km, probably around 200km were in 5th gear at high speed the rest were puttering around in, at most, 4th gear. How come we only needed to put 6euros of diesel in the car (to fill it to the top and even then it was a struggle to dribble it in), when the cost of diesel is 1.31 euro per litre?

We've done the same sort of mileage many a time and have had to put around 20-30 euros of petrol/diesel in. The only thing that I can think of is that the car was filled to the brim when we picked it up but as we filled it to the brim I'm still surprised. Incidentally we have to drive around 30km after we refill the car, admittedly it is mostly on a motorway but when we got to the car rental we were charged an extra 0.01euro for the diesel that we'd used in that 30km...

Is this the most fuel efficient car on the road? B)
Mel and Co

#2 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:24 PM

I was about to be dismissive then I checked my arithmetic and realised that your consumptikon in litres was what I would expect to use in gallons.
PeterC aka Chilternbirder

#3 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:43 PM

I had a quick look at the stats on the internet for the Leon 1.6TDI and there is a new ecomotive model that predicts an average mph of around 75 but even so, we still did around 150 miles on just over a gallon of petrol. Which is seriously impressive!
Mel and Co

#4 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:52 PM

Was it full out full back? Perhaps it was super full when you got it.

#5 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:32 AM

we still did around 150 miles on just over a gallon of petrol. Which is seriously impressive!

150 MPG? That's not possible. 50, maybe, but 150 is way out.

#6 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:11 AM

150 MPG? That's not possible. 50, maybe, but 150 is way out.

I know it's unbelievable but I promise you that we did it! What we can't work out though is how?!

Was it full out full back? Perhaps it was super full when you got it.

Yes, it was a full tank when we took it and when we returned it. When Alf said that he couldn't get anymore diesel in the tank at 5euros I thought he was holding the pump skew-whiff so I got out and took over and managed to dribble a little more in but when I took the pump out and looked in the diesel was showing and not dribbling down into the tank so it was super full when we returned it.

I just wish that we could find the receipt so I could see exactly how many litres we put into it.
Mel and Co