Phone Mast Heresy?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,199 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 10 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

Is it bordering on the heretical not to object to mobile phone masts? I'm beginning to think it is.

#2 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:14 PM

Can you object by sending a text or calling or emailing from a smart phone?!?!
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#3 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 02:27 PM

I thought there had been complaints in one of the local villages about the removal of an "unsightly" phone mast as it might mean loss of signal.

In answer to the question for me it depends on the design of the mast, its only the ones with huge clusters of antenni that I really object to.
PeterC aka Chilternbirder

#4 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:18 PM

Is it bordering on the heretical not to object to mobile phone masts?

No, it's perfectly OK not to object to any that are not in your back yard.:rolleyes:
David P

#5 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,199 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:49 PM

So I'm not the only one who isn't automatically against them. :D

I'm not pretending they're things of beauty, but then neither are other community resources such as street lights, bins and road signs.

#6 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,199 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:46 AM

Three local mast proposals have been turned down in as many weeks (see: Examiner story).

I haven't studied the details of the individual proposals, but assuming that most people continue to want mobile phone coverage, masts have to go somewhere. Some of the arguments used against them in general are utterly ludicrous, yet the more they are repeated, the more weight they seem to have.

#7 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:05 PM

It strikes me that no one appears to be making any fuss over any claimed danger from wi fi signals. With lots of routers sending out wi fi signals in houses, there must be a lot of radio waves in confined spaces.
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#8 struthie

struthie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:19 PM

Well I wish vodafone would fix whatever the problem is with their mast as coverage in Amersham has been awful for the last two weeks.

#9 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,199 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:58 AM

It strikes me that no one appears to be making any fuss over any claimed danger from wi fi signals. With lots of routers sending out wi fi signals in houses, there must be a lot of radio waves in confined spaces.

There are some who want to ban wi-fi in schools, even though most children probably spend more time in wi-fi zones outside school (from their next door neighbours, when they go in or near shop, café, library... anywhere, really). Like you, I am surprised the focus of the scare mongers is almost entirely concentrated on phone masts. I suppose it's because you can see masts, whereas it's easy to forget the wi-fi is there (unless you're using it).

#10 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:11 AM

Surely though theres a point whereby we have reached a sufficient amount of mobile phone masts in towns.I remember when I had my first mobile phone Ižd have to walk up to the road to the top of the hill or have my head out of the bedroom window to pick up barely enough signal. :)
These days though I have little problem.If youre in such places as say South Heath or maybe Cholesbury you may have signal problems.Also the signal strength that is ommitted from a mobile phone mast is likely to be alot higher than that of a wireless router.

Just had a look in the list of phone masts in Amersham alone.

Amersham's Mobile Phone Masts

#11 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:49 PM

Surely though theres a point whereby we have reached a sufficient amount of mobile phone masts in towns.

Don't know about central Amersham but signals are patchy around Chalfont and Latimer station and Chesham is a nightmare.
PeterC aka Chilternbirder

#12 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:41 PM

Don't know about central Amersham but signals are patchy around Chalfont and Latimer station and Chesham is a nightmare.

Where do you get patchy reception in Chesham?Are you talking about outlying areas like Botley and Bellingdon?Theyre noT great but within the main town I've not had problems.