#1 Milton

Milton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Cricket, music, travel.

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:15 PM

There are ominous notices advising that Chesham Road will be shut for 6 weeks beginning June 21st between the Boot & Slipper and Oakfield Corner, for gas mains work. Presumably this is part of the ongoing upgrade of Amersham's gas mains, but I would have thought it promises to be the most disruptive part yet.

#2 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:05 PM

Not necessarily, after all there is another road that can be used, although admittedly the main street through the shops might be even more congested than normal with non-locals using it instead of using Chiltern Ave and Rickmansworth Road.

Incidentally when we moved here from Rayners Lane in 2005 we left behind major gas works, in the form of new gas pipes which is still ongoing now! Everytime they fill it in something happens and they come back and dig it up again.
Mel and Co

#3 Milton

Milton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:32 PM

Not necessarily, after all there is another road that can be used, although admittedly the main street through the shops might be even more congested than normal with non-locals using it instead of using Chiltern Ave and Rickmansworth Road.

True enough. However, I tend to use Chesham Road/Chiltern Ave to avoid the Sycamore Road queues. Quite a few lorries trundle along the Chesham Road as well.

#4 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:45 PM

However, I tend to use Chesham Road/Chiltern Ave to avoid the Sycamore Road queues.

Actually so do I, the roundabout at the Boot and Slipper is a nightmare if you are trying to turn onto the A416 towards Chesham.
Mel and Co

#5 Milton

Milton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:40 PM

And Tuesdays will be particularly interesting when the Market closes Sycamore Road!

#6 SallyH

SallyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:02 PM

And Tuesdays will be particularly interesting when the Market closes Sycamore Road!

Let's hope the temporary traffic lights will have gone by the time Chesham Road closes!

#7 GJC

GJC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 08:56 AM

Let's hope the temporary traffic lights will have gone by the time Chesham Road closes!

Probably the same team of men, so doubt if both roads will be affected at same time.
GJC
Posted Image

#8 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:48 PM

I've largely avoided it. How's it going?

#9 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 07:46 AM

I've largely avoided it. How's it going?

Slowly!

I owe Milton an apology, when he first posted this topic I didn't believe that it would cause as many problems as it has done. I guess I forget just how busy the A416 is and now that the traffic is using either the road through the shops or Chiltern Ave you can see the difference. Sorry Milton! ;) However, turning onto the A416 towards Chesham at the Boot and Slipper roundabout is a breeze now...
Mel and Co

#10 Milton

Milton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 09:14 PM

Unnecessary apology accepted! I'm fortunate enough to walk to work, but I know it's caused significant difficulties to colleagues who travel to Amersham from Chesham & other points North.

At least our gas will have the highest quality modern pipes to travel through, and, hopefully, not leak out of!

#11 Speedy

Speedy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:15 AM

For me chesham road being closed has helped. I'm on my way home from work at 8am and apart from being held up for a couple of minutes at the beacon school, i now have a clear run through to chesham.

#12 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:24 PM

Went through there on Saturday and found it easier, as I just carried on over the roundabout.:)Must be a pig in rush hour if you usually use the closed road.

#13 Jane

Jane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:13 PM

Made the silly mistake of trying go to get to HSBC just after the school run on a Tuesday!! had to abort the journey to collect older child on time. My own fault, I knew about the closures and that it was market day with the additional factor of my choice of time.

Second attempt today, at around lunch time, no problem at all.

#14 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

I heard today that when Chesham Road re-opens in a few weeks it will only be open for 3 weeks then closed for 6 months for the waterboard to work on it. I hope that this is incorrect but it wouldn't surprise me if it isn't...
Mel and Co

#15 struthie

struthie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:48 PM

I hope that's not true,it's horrendous enough now!

#16 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:55 PM

I heard today that when Chesham Road re-opens in a few weeks it will only be open for 3 weeks then closed for 6 months for the waterboard to work on it. I hope that this is incorrect but it wouldn't surprise me if it isn't...

Apparently the same is true of Chartridge Lane in Chesham, where, by all accounts, the problems have been even worse than in Amersham.

Interesting experience this morning - my bus to Chesham did a 3-point turn in Hill Avenue (last week he had real problems with the very tight left turn at the top).
David P

#17 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:48 PM

Apparently the same is true of Chartridge Lane in Chesham, where, by all accounts, the problems have been even worse than in Amersham.

I was working in Chartridge Lane last week and it wasn't that bad until they closed the bottom of the road so you have to go down Lowndes Ave to get into Chesham. Bellingdon Road and Townsend Road are not happy places in the rush hour.
Mel and Co

#18 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:25 PM

Interesting experience this morning - my bus to Chesham did a 3-point turn in Hill Avenue .

Perhaps he did it because there are traffic lights on the roundabout at the top of Hill Avenue at the junction of Chesham Road and Sycamore Road?
Mel and Co