Curbing Public Drinking?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:06 PM

The Bucks Examiner is reporting that a proposed ban on public drinking in Lowndes Park in Chesham won't now go ahead (see Examiner article).

Rather than focus on that specific case, I wondered if there was much support for such schemes in general (restricting civil liberties for the greater good) and if so, if there are any areas in Amersham that might need that or other action.

#2 GJC

GJC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:55 AM

In theory the centre of Amersham on the Hill is an alcohol free zone. Have to say that it is quite rare to see anybody walking around with an open can, but is does mean that the local youths from time to time invade the stairwell of our flats to drink out of sight. If they did not leave such a mess behind I would leave them alone, BUT they always leave their empties so now always call the police and they send a PCSO around to take their drinks away.
GJC
Posted Image

#3 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,202 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:38 PM

In theory the centre of Amersham on the Hill is an alcohol free zone.

I'm not sure that's really necessary. If they're causing a problem, they can surely be charged with something else (drunk and disorderly, harassment or whatever), and if they're not, then let them get on with it, if that's what they want.

BUT they always leave their empties so now always call the police and they send a PCSO around to take their drinks away.

In those circumstances, I don't blame you for calling the PCSO, though I expect you could do so on grounds of littering or trespass, even if it wasn't an alcohol-free zone.