Jump to content


Ta, Lsa, Ca Or Ssa?

  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 janem



  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 11:18 PM

I've recently moved from Oxford to Amersham. In Oxford I worked as a Teaching Assistant (TA) for a number of years and I'm now looking for a similar job here. My reason for posting is that I'm a little confused about the terminology used for what appear to be TA posts. Could anyone clarify if the following titles are relating to the same job or is there a subtle difference in the roles played by Learning Support Assistants, Classroom Assistants, Special Support Assistants and Teaching Assistants?

Cheers, Jane

#2 Ado


    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Amersham on Hill

Posted 30 June 2011 - 06:12 AM

Hi Janem,

TA and LSA are in effect the same. Most of your time would be spent on teaching and supporting groups of children. Tasks such as displays, looking after the classroom etc tend to be squeezed in as and when.

CA is similar to the above but generally without the level of teaching involved above. This is literally an 'old school' position I think and does not really exsist in most schools. Nowadays most schools want their Assistants to be more involved in teaching rather than making classrooms look pretty, neat and tidy. I would guess that in most cases if a school asks for a CA they really mean LSA.

SSA usually refers to supporting a particular child or group of children with a special educational need. This coudl be physical, social& behavioural or academic.

I guess it varies from school to school but that is the bones of it. As with any job it doen't really matter what they call it, you need to look at the job description to define the role.