13 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:30 PM

Under plannign ref CH/2011/1049/FA St Michaels Church in Sycamore Road want to change their frontage. I think it will be an improvment on quite a nice area.
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#2 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:48 PM

Here's a link to the specific application, though CDC planning applications are often unavailable late at night (no idea why): https://isa.chiltern...o=LNLM1QES06E00

Click the "Associated Documents" tab for the actual plans etc.

#3 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

Some details now in the Bucks Examiner

http://amersham.buck...s-for-amer.html

Matthew Jones - posting from mobile device
Matthew P Jones

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#4 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

Work has started, and it's all fenced off. I presume it will be finished in time for summer (if we have one).

#5 Bluegrass

Bluegrass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

Just so long as they haven't decided to turn it into a charity shop!

#6 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 12:20 PM

The new space was opened at the weekend. "The project features a new labyrinth, quiet garden and performance area, with the new-look entrance to the church featuring angel sculptures created by glass artist Suzanne Raffellini."

http://www.bucksfree...ed_in_Amersham/

#7 mvjt

mvjt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:56 PM

And easy access to sit in the new space was blocked this morning by a bric a brac sale, which ran right across the entrance.
It was a great shame given the lovely weather.

#8 ITSMEAGAIN

ITSMEAGAIN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 01:52 PM

At over £140k (or so I'm reliably informed) it seems very poor value for money, but at least the ridiculous 'designer' concrete seating will no doubt help Boots and Superdrugs to sell more Anusol cream!

#9 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

The area was looking tired before the work. I have not been able to have a decent look but for the length of time it took and the reported cost I thought it might have been a bigger change, althought perhaps a lot of time and cost relates to foundation type things not easily seen but which will give the area a long life.
Matthew P Jones

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#10 ITSMEAGAIN

ITSMEAGAIN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

Possibly you could be right Matthew about the foundations etc but they seem to have used very basic materials - ie; the slabs and common bricks. It still seems a huge cost to me for the returns.

#11 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

It is a lot of money (actually £185,000 according to the BFP link I posted above), and I agree that it doesn't look startlingly different, though I haven't ventured beyond the pavement, so haven't actually seen the quiet garden, porch, statue, or stained glass window. I thought I'd read something about a new or refurbished community room, but I can't find any mention of that, so may have imagined it.

#12 ITSMEAGAIN

ITSMEAGAIN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

If the final bill did come to £185k then it seems even less value for money and quite staggering given the current financial climate and needs of the community as a whole. The real 'benefit' from such a spend is hard to see.

#13 Amersham Resident

Amersham Resident

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:07 PM

Missed opportunity. It looks just as drab and inhospitable as it did before. A real shame, especially if the expended sum mentioned about is accurate.

#14 Sunday Night

Sunday Night

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:33 PM

What about "The Entertainer Corner". It seems Amersham has been completely taken over. The old shop has become an advertising hording for the new one, and it's just waiting for fly-posters. In my opinon, Hill Avenue now looks like as rundown, forgotten town.