Half Of Chiltern Parking Tickets Appealed Are Overturned

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,195 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:15 PM

Another exaggerated headline, though it raises an interesting question: "More than 50% of Chilterns parking tickets are overturned". See: Dodgy stats article.

Of course it's half of those that people take to appeal, which on the figures in the article means only about 15% of the total are overturned. Is that a reasonable error rate? (The figures for previous years are broadly similar.) Obviously zero errors would be wonderful, but 15% doesn't seem deserving of the hysterical tone of the article.

I was particularly alarmed by a woman quoted in the article who said, "I would absolutely fight whether I was right or wrong. I think the figures show it's worth it."

So it seems that alarmist reporting makes people think the situation is worse than it is and that therefore they may be justified in breaking the rules and trying to fight, even if they know they are in the wrong.

Does this sort of thing make anyone else angry?

#2 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:12 PM

Does this sort of thing make anyone else angry?

Yes it does.

In almost 24 years of driving I've had two parking tickets. Both were correct but I could possibly have fought the second one and may have won. About 15 years ago I parked in a layby in Hatch End High Street on a winter night right beside a broken street light and when I got back to the car I had a ticket because I'd parked in a disabled bay!

I looked and couldn't see any sign, it was only when I moved the car and got a torch that I could see the wheelchair sign on the road which was very faint and impossible to see with no streetlight. However, I did park there illegally so I accepted the ticket.
Mel and Co

#3 Speedy

Speedy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 01:28 PM

I must be one of those rare cases where i haven't had single parking ticket in 22 years of driving :blink: although i have come close on a few occasions.

If i did get one and i felt it was issued wrongly then yes i would fight it, but at the end of the day, if i parked illegally and knew full well i was doing wrong then i'd accept the consequences.

#4 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:16 PM

I've had three in almost 50 years and only paid one (and that was when I parked at 12:58 in an area where there was a restriction until 13:00)
To be fair if you appeal politely with a reasonable excuse then you will be treated reasonably. When we got one in Watford recently (I hadn't noticed the restriction that the bay was for Loading Only until 11:00) they let us off and said that they had a policy of letting first time offenders off with a warning.
David P

#5 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 11:47 PM

I've had three in almost 50 years and only paid one (and that was when I parked at 12:58 in an area where there was a restriction until 13:00)

You shouldn't have paid. They aren't supposed to do anything until you've been there for at least 3 minutes.

#6 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:40 PM

OK, so over half the people who appeal do so on valid grounds, that seems pretty reasonable to me. I haven't seen the stats but if that does work out at a 15% error rate I think the parking contractor has a training issue. For an error rate of more than 10% I would expect a penalty clause in the contract.

Like Eaton I have been caught out by poor street markings when parking in a strange place on a dark night.
PeterC aka Chilternbirder

#7 Bawbag

Bawbag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:14 PM

I picked up a charge notice today because the phone system incorrectly picked up my registration number. Here's hoping they use some of that discretion!

#8 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,195 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:58 PM

I picked up a charge notice today because the phone system incorrectly picked up my registration number. Here's hoping they use some of that discretion!

Feel free to say it's  none of my business, but what does the phone system have to do with it?

#9 03am

03am

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:24 PM

I think its the park by phone service?  You can call/text from your mobile instead of paying by coins...

#10 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 08:52 PM

I think its the park by phone service?  You can call/text from your mobile instead of paying by coins...

I didn't know you could do that round here (I thought it was a big city thing!).

Anyway, if that was the problem, I daresay they'll say it was user error and Bawbag may struggle to get the penalty overthrown. :(

#11 Bawbag

Bawbag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 04:58 PM

I didn't know you could do that round here (I thought it was a big city thing!).

Anyway, if that was the problem, I daresay they'll say it was user error and Bawbag may struggle to get the penalty overthrown. :(

They've not replied but so I'm hoping you aren't correct!

On the system itself, it's a boon as you can arrange and pay for a day's parking from the comfort of your home before you set out. No fiddling with change in a windy car park, or even having to walk back to your car.

As long as the system works, that is!

#12 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

You have to pay extra for the privilage of course.

PeterC aka Chilternbirder

#13 Bawbag

Bawbag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

Happy to confirm that they overturned the ticket.

The language used was most magnanimous though, a lot of passive-aggressive "on this occasion" and "we are prepared". Hmmm.

You have to pay extra for the privilage of course.

Yes, quite backwards that.