#1 Crown Taxis

Crown Taxis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:14 AM

Hello.

If anyone has any questions about the taxi trade in the Amersham and surrounding areas, please feel free to ask.
We'll try our best to answer any question that you may have.

Example questions, what rate meters run on? Who sets the tariffs? How can I become a taxi driver? etc.

Crown.
Crown Taxis
01494 580 580

bookings@crown-taxis.com
www.Crown-Taxis.com

Call, email, Skype or register on our website to make real time bookings and collect loyalty points on all your journeys

http://www.Crown-Taxis.com/Register/

#2 LnM

LnM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:18 PM

When you become a taxi driver do you have to apply for permission to ignore road speed limits or is granted automatically?

#3 Speedy

Speedy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 666 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 07:52 PM

lol, or if you're one of the few miserable gilberts drivers, try smiling!

#4 Crown Taxis

Crown Taxis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 06:06 AM

When you become a taxi driver do you have to apply for permission to ignore road speed limits or is granted automatically?

It's up to the individual if they want to risk losing their licence driving over the speed limits.
It's silly that the drivers do that. It is their livelihood. But it's not just taxi drivers who go over the speed limit, many non-taxi drivers do as well.
Crown Taxis
01494 580 580

bookings@crown-taxis.com
www.Crown-Taxis.com

Call, email, Skype or register on our website to make real time bookings and collect loyalty points on all your journeys

#5 K&P

K&P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:Good food, good wine, The Chilterns

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:43 AM

Taxiline have served us very well for nearly five years, now. All drivers are police-checked (necessary for our kids)and the driver turnover is very low.

#6 Crown Taxis

Crown Taxis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 02:41 PM

All taxi/private hire licence holder in the Chiltern District area have to undergo a police check called a CRB check. More information can be found at the following web address:

http://www.direct.go...ewjob/DG_195809

Furthermore, every existing taxi licence holder has to undertake a new CRB check every three years. This is a requirement for all taxi/private hire drivers.
Crown Taxis
01494 580 580

bookings@crown-taxis.com
www.Crown-Taxis.com

#7 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:52 PM

Can a taxi driver operate outside of their usual area?Reason I ask is that I used to get taxi drivers turn up on Saturday night in Chesham who were from Wycombe.Felt this was a little rough on those local taxi drivers and many of the drivers from Wycombe didnt know where they were going.I had one experience where I had to direct the wycombe taxi driver all the way from the town to my home. :)

#8 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:25 PM

Also without knowing the exact rates is there an easy way to see if a taxi driver has started the meter running before he has arrrived at the collection point?Should they start the meter once youre in the car?

#9 Crown Taxis

Crown Taxis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:41 PM

Can a taxi driver operate outside of their usual area?Reason I ask is that I used to get taxi drivers turn up on Saturday night in Chesham who were from Wycombe.Felt this was a little rough on those local taxi drivers and many of the drivers from Wycombe didnt know where they were going.I had one experience where I had to direct the wycombe taxi driver all the way from the town to my home. :)

Simple answer is that they cannot pick up outside their area.

A driver licensed by the Chiltern District Council can only ply for hire within the Chiltern District. They can pick up from any rank inside the Chiltern area or any street/road. Same goes for Wycombe, South Bucks etc.

However, if a taxi driver works for a company and the company takes a booking and asks the driver to pick up from outside of their district, then in this case it is allowed. But judging by your experience, those Wycombe drivers probably just joined the queue and were picking up anyone coming their way which is wrong.
Crown Taxis
01494 580 580

bookings@crown-taxis.com
www.Crown-Taxis.com

#10 Crown Taxis

Crown Taxis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:56 PM

Also without knowing the exact rates is there an easy way to see if a taxi driver has started the meter running before he has arrrived at the collection point?Should they start the meter once youre in the car?

Drivers should start the meter once the customer is in the car. If the customer is late and is not in the car for the time the taxi was booked for, then the driver has the right to start the meter. Even then most drivers would give about 5 minutes over the booking time before starting the meter.

I'm afraid there is no easy way of knowing if a meter has been started before the taxi reaches the collection point. If a customer is on time and they see that the meter has already been started before they got in the car, then they can ask the driver to restart the meter. The only way you'll be able to tell if the meter has been started before reaching the collection point is if you know how the pricing on the meters work. Below is a link to the current Chiltern District taxi fares. All meters installed in a Chiltern licensed taxi will run in accordance with these fares.

http://www.chiltern....94&pageNumber=3
Crown Taxis
01494 580 580

bookings@crown-taxis.com
www.Crown-Taxis.com

#11 hyposmurf

hyposmurf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for the answers.

#12 Crown Taxis

Crown Taxis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:18 PM

Anymore questions?
Crown Taxis
01494 580 580

bookings@crown-taxis.com
www.Crown-Taxis.com

#13 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:43 PM

Do most people tip taxi drivers nowadays, and if so, what is the typical rate?

#14 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:06 AM

Do most people tip taxi drivers nowadays, and if so, what is the typical rate?

I always do although I'm not sure if it's standard. A short journey around the Amersham/Chesham area I tip around 50p, if it's to an airport I tip around 1.50-2. I'm interested if there is a typical tip in case I'm being tight....
Mel and Co

#15 Crown Taxis

Crown Taxis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:50 PM

From personal experience about 50% of people do tip. For local journey it can range from 20p to £1 (or occasionally over) for long distance journeys it can be from £1 to £5 (or in some cases over £5). Generally, people tip 10-15% of the fare.
Crown Taxis
01494 580 580

bookings@crown-taxis.com
www.Crown-Taxis.com

#16 Crown Taxis

Crown Taxis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 25 August 2011 - 10:29 AM

Would anyone else like to find out more about the taxi business?
Crown Taxis
01494 580 580

bookings@crown-taxis.com
www.Crown-Taxis.com

#17 K&P

K&P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:Good food, good wine, The Chilterns

Posted 26 August 2011 - 02:14 PM

Would anyone else like to find out more about the taxi business?

Hello!

Is this thread about drumming up custom? No problems, if so. Recruiting drivers? Just interested!

#18 Crown Taxis

Crown Taxis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:27 PM

ABSOLUTELY NOT !

Posted Image Actually it is. But it's also to help people understand the trade. For example, I read in some other thread people were saying that charging VAT on credit/debit cards but not on cash was wrong. This is not wrong. Most drivers are self employed and any jobs they do the fare is theirs. If you pay by credit card through the company which is VAT registered, of course you will be charged VAT. The individual self employed driver is not VAT registered.

And yes, we are looking for one night shift driver to work 3pm to midnight and on Fri/Sat nights work from 5pm to 2am
Crown Taxis
01494 580 580

bookings@crown-taxis.com
www.Crown-Taxis.com

#19 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 28 August 2011 - 11:24 PM

Call me picky if you want but personally when I book a cab I expect it to:
1) turn up on time
2) be clean, tidy and in full working order
3) the driver to not use a mobile phone (held to ear) while driving on a 60mph unlit country road at 60mph
4) the driver to be wearing a seat belt
5) the driver to drive within the speed limit
6) to feel as safe as if I was driving.

Tonight only point 2 of my wishlist was upheld and I was seriously annoyed at being kept waiting for 10 minutes! I know that I'm slightly ocd at timekeeping but to have to ring a cab company and ask where a cab is that I booked around 90 minutes before is not acceptable and then to have to pay full price (£8 something from the Latimer side of Chesham to off Elizabeth Ave, Little Chalfont)is taking the biscuit.
Mel and Co

#20 Crown Taxis

Crown Taxis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:14 AM

Call me picky if you want but personally when I book a cab I expect it to:
1) turn up on time
2) be clean, tidy and in full working order
3) the driver to not use a mobile phone (held to ear) while driving on a 60mph unlit country road at 60mph
4) the driver to be wearing a seat belt
5) the driver to drive within the speed limit
6) to feel as safe as if I was driving.

Tonight only point 2 of my wishlist was upheld and I was seriously annoyed at being kept waiting for 10 minutes! I know that I'm slightly ocd at timekeeping but to have to ring a cab company and ask where a cab is that I booked around 90 minutes before is not acceptable and then to have to pay full price (£8 something from the Latimer side of Chesham to off Elizabeth Ave, Little Chalfont)is taking the biscuit.

There's nothing picky about these points. Everyone should expect a taxi driver to uphold these points. You should have asked the driver to stop using his mobile and drive slowly. And also you should have paid him less than the full fare because of him being late. If the driver causes a problem, tell him to call the company he works for and walk off. After all, most drivers would charge you if you came out 10 minutes late.
Crown Taxis
01494 580 580

bookings@crown-taxis.com
www.Crown-Taxis.com