15 replies to this topic

#1 WatchOutWorld

WatchOutWorld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:45 PM

My 7 year old has been assigned to Bell Lane (so far we are still waiting for assignments for our other three children) and I had a few questions. (I am being a manic mummy, I know, but I have been so worried that moving the children is going to cause them to need extensive therapy as grown ups.)

I have read everything on this forum that has been posted about Bell Lane, and I am wondering if he got the assignment because I indicated that his teacher last year informed us that she suspects he is dyslexic (although they didn't have time to test him before the school year ended). If Bell Lane has special services for children with learning disabilities, then maybe this is a good thing?!?! Does anyone here have any experience with Bell Lane and their services for children with special needs?

Also, a much easier question. Where do you find a uniform list for Bell Lane? Do you have to buy school supplies in the UK like in the US? I would call Bell Lane for this information, but I assume they are all on holiday.

#2 ThreeDaysGrace

ThreeDaysGrace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:46 PM

I have heard that Bell Lane is very good for kids with learning difficulties, but it's not something I have first hand experience with. The most likely reason your son was allocated the school though is because they are trying to fill the school up again after numbers dropped because of a bad couple of years at the school, and it was probably the only school with a place for him.

Uniform can be found here http://www.your-scho...CombinedHP66PF/ but we were told not to buy too much in case the uniform changes when the school becomes an academy in January. I have ended up buying the polo shirts though, as it seems it is IMPOSSIBLE to buy a navy blue polo shirt anywhere else. Every other colour, but navy.....

#3 WatchOutWorld

WatchOutWorld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:06 PM

I have heard that Bell Lane is very good for kids with learning difficulties, but it's not something I have first hand experience with. The most likely reason your son was allocated the school though is because they are trying to fill the school up again after numbers dropped because of a bad couple of years at the school, and it was probably the only school with a place for him.

Uniform can be found here http://www.your-scho...CombinedHP66PF/ but we were told not to buy too much in case the uniform changes when the school becomes an academy in January. I have ended up buying the polo shirts though, as it seems it is IMPOSSIBLE to buy a navy blue polo shirt anywhere else. Every other colour, but navy.....

Thanks. So, do I just buy everything else without a logo? School uniforms are not common in the US, so this is all new to me. Also, what will change when it becomes an academy?

So sorry for all of the questions, I feel so out of sorts here!

#4 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:21 PM

I have ended up buying the polo shirts though, as it seems it is IMPOSSIBLE to buy a navy blue polo shirt anywhere else. Every other colour, but navy.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fruit-Loom-childs-pique-shirt/dp/B001TOWIGK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313529656&sr=8-1

#5 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:58 PM

I have read everything on this forum that has been posted about Bell Lane, and I am wondering if he got the assignment because I indicated that his teacher last year informed us that she suspects he is dyslexic (although they didn't have time to test him before the school year ended).

Without a statement of special needs, the allocation process doesn't work that way. As ThreeDaysGrace said, the most likely reason is that they had spaces.

Also, a much easier question. Where do you find a uniform list for Bell Lane? Do you have to buy school supplies in the UK like in the US? I would call Bell Lane for this information, but I assume they are all on holiday.

I expect most staff are on holiday, but the school shouldn't be totally shut down for the entire summer. I would contact the Education department at Bucks CC and ask them for advice.

I hope you get places for your other children soon, and that they don't get scattered between too many different schools.

#6 ThreeDaysGrace

ThreeDaysGrace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:23 PM

I would say buy whatever you can without a logo (as it will be a lot cheaper!) Best places are

http://direct.asda.c...default,sc.html

or

http://www.marksands..._s=global-top-8 (better quality in my opinion!)

Have you got a uniform list? If not I can message you what's needed.
What ages are your other children? It seems odd that they were not placed at Bell Lane too if they are of that age group?

Fran, thank you :) Unfortunately they are more expensive than the school logo ones! I was really looking for the sort you get in Tesco and Asda, 2 pack for £5 kind of thing.

As for what might change in January, no one knows! I do know the first thing they are doing is redecorating the school and tidying it up! I think it's going to be a case of wait and see. This is why I am getting on the PTA! The school needs a strong parent presence if they start making changes that we are not happy with!

#7 WatchOutWorld

WatchOutWorld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:53 PM

No, I literally just got a letter in the post saying that he would be at Bell Lane. Not what year he would be placed in or anything else. :(

My other children are 12, 10, and 5. We have had M's letter for a week now and so far no word on the other three...

#8 ThreeDaysGrace

ThreeDaysGrace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:54 PM

Ok, I will message you the uniform, and if you want to message me your address, I can photocopy the prospectus I have and send it to you. Or if you would rather not give me your address, I can meet you somewhere? :)

Is he 7? That should be year 2 or 3 I think. It seems strange that the 5 year old and 10 year old haven't also been placed there. I should think you would be looking at the Amersham School for the 12 year old, or if there's no places there, then Chesham Park (although I think it has a different name now).

#9 cathindia

cathindia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:15 PM

No, I literally just got a letter in the post saying that he would be at Bell Lane. Not what year he would be placed in or anything else. :(

My other children are 12, 10, and 5. We have had M's letter for a week now and so far no word on the other three...

I would chase Bucks to find out what is happening. You can get through on the phone, though it can be difficult to persuade the operators to let you through or email them and ask them for an update. They can send you the information by email if you ask. Good Luck and welcome to Amersham (I've only been here a couple of weeks but everyone is so helpful and friendly).

#10 WatchOutWorld

WatchOutWorld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:10 PM

I will try to track them down in the morning. So far I have had pretty good luck contacting them by email and phone, so we'll see. Tomorrow is also the "15 business days" that they try to make assignments in so every day my other kids keep checking the mail looking for their school letter too.

#11 WatchOutWorld

WatchOutWorld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:52 PM

We got notice today that my daughter will be at Chiltern Hill Academy (formerly Chesham Park CC). Since she is a very "music and arts" kind of girl she is happy, so I am happy. I also sent an email to Bucks to see about the other two boys, hopefully we will hear something on Monday.

Can anybody tell me what time primary school starts and lets out? What about secondary schools? Is there a website with all of this information on it? I swear, it is like I am from a foreign country or something!

#12 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:43 PM

St Georges primary is 0900 to 1500. That's pretty standard.

#13 WatchOutWorld

WatchOutWorld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:12 PM

Thanks! I had heard that they would most likely have a shorter day here than in the US but I couldn't find the information on any of the school websites.

#14 ThreeDaysGrace

ThreeDaysGrace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:33 PM

Did you get my message with the uniform list ok?

#15 WatchOutWorld

WatchOutWorld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:29 PM

Yes, sorry! I actually didn't see it until you put this up, I had somehow missed that I had a new message. Fingers crossed that we hear something tomorrow on the other two boys.

#16 ThreeDaysGrace

ThreeDaysGrace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:36 AM

Good luck!