5 replies to this topic

#1 Bawbag

Bawbag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 01:58 PM

Although we've been in Amersham for three weeks now, we've not had the chance to eat out due to kids, move etc. My mum is visiting at the weekend though and is taking us out so I'd like to pick a nice place in the town, suitable for kids, for Friday or Saturday night.

She's a bit old fashioned though, my mum, so Indian/Thai etc. is out.

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm assuming that I'd need to book for a Fri/Sat in Amersham, have I left it too late though?

#2 K&P

K&P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:Good food, good wine, The Chilterns

Posted 17 August 2011 - 03:29 PM

The Swan in Old Amersham. Book ahead. They do good kids' meals.

http://www.theswanamersham.co.uk/

K

#3 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:23 PM

Other factors are the approximate age of your children, how much you want to spend and whether you want somewhere actually in Amersham, or merely nearby.

Anyway, have a look at other topics in this Eating and Sleeping bit of the forum for details, but my suggestions are:
  • Reliable, obvious but unexciting options: Ask (newly revamped, and it's a nice old building), Prezzo and Pizza Express.
  • Gilbey's is lovely, but not cheap and not particularly child-oriented.
  • The Ivy House, on the A413 towards Chalfont St Giles has a good quality, varied menu and is child-friendly and a little cheaper than a gastro pub. Watch out for big potholes in the entrance to the car park, though.
  • The new Pomeroy Inn on White Lion Road may be worth a try.
  • Non chain Italians include Restaurant 1O1 on Sycamore Road (but it's not very big, so you may not get a table on a busy night), Guido's in Chesham Bois, and Rucola in Little Chalfont.

#4 Bawbag

Bawbag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 04:34 PM

Thanks. Kids are 5 and 2, both happy eating from the kids menu so no baby food etc. In the town (Top) would be preferred so no-one has to drive.

Tried the Ivy House for lunch last weekend, very nice although we did pick up a puncture from a bit of flint in their car park - a very expensive lunch!

#5 K&P

K&P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:Good food, good wine, The Chilterns

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:54 AM

Fran's recommendation of the Pomeroy Inn is a good one; we popped in for a sticky-beak (drink) last Saturday and noted a good kids' play area, and, delightfully, a non-smoking outdoor area. Good prices, but I'd book in advance.

#6 Jeff T

Jeff T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:10 AM

The newly opened Pomeroy Inn is a good, safe, bet. My wife and I have been there twice since it opened and have had a good experience both times. The staff are friendly and the food is fine and it's reasonably priced. I'd steer clear of the Swan in Amersham personally. I had the worst dining experience ever when I went there a few months ago and I would never go back. I think the Pomeroy Inn would be better for you especially with children. You should be able to get in for Friday/Saturday if you're prepared to go for an early time around 6:30/7:00 pm.

Hope you enjoy living in Amersham.