#1 monica weller

monica weller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:43 PM

Hello

It's probably out of Amersham News and Views patch but can anyone help me with the names and locations of banks in Chesham in the 1960s? I'd be pleased to hear from anyone who worked in a bank there, or knew of anyone who might have, at that time.

Thanks

Monica

#2 Jeannie686

Jeannie686

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:44 PM

Hi Monica,

Have you thought about asking at Chesham Museum? I work there as a volunteer steward and there are lots of people there who would know exactly how to find this information. I'd advise you give them a call! Their opening hours are limited though, Tuesday/Wednesday/Saturday from 11-3, but they hold just these sorts of details so it should be easy for us to find out!

#3 monica weller

monica weller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:37 AM

Hi Monica,

Have you thought about asking at Chesham Museum? I work there as a volunteer steward and there are lots of people there who would know exactly how to find this information. I'd advise you give them a call! Their opening hours are limited though, Tuesday/Wednesday/Saturday from 11-3, but they hold just these sorts of details so it should be easy for us to find out!

Hello Jeannie

That is a great idea - I will do just that - today.:rolleyes:

Thank you.

Monica

#4 monica weller

monica weller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 12:28 PM

Hello Jeannie

That is a great idea - I will do just that - today.:rolleyes:

Thank you.

Monica

Hello

Thanks to Jeannie's suggestion I have found a list of banks in Chesham in the 1960s.

Now I need to find anyone who may have worked, or knew anyone who worked at National Provincial, Lloyds or Westminster bank in the town in the 1960s.

Monica Weller

#5 Jeannie686

Jeannie686

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:35 PM

I'm so glad they could help you, I was volunteering there yesterday in the afternoon so I'm guessing you must have come in the morning? There are lots of people there who are so knowledgeable about the local area, I learn so much from them, I knew they'd know something! :)

It's worth having a general chat to some of the stewards as oftentimes they know of people who used to work in the local area or know someone who could help you find this information. We also have a stories folder at the back of the museum, where local people recount stories of their childhood and adulthood in Chesham, you might find some stories in the folder that are directly related to what you're after.

Good Luck with your research!