#1 Jeannie686

Jeannie686

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:10 AM

Hi All,

We are due to have our first baby in October. Much as I would love to be a stay at home Mum for the first year or two, we aren't in a position to afford it, and as family do not live locally we will have to put our baby in a nursery at least part time.

As this is our first child and all this is new to us, we were wondering if anyone out there can recommend good nurseries in Chesham (and possibly Amersham too), and guide us on what to look for or do at this stage? My husband works full time in London and I do too currently, but I am debating whether to reduce my hours to part-time or to find a local part time job so I can be closer to home and the little one.

If anyone here can give advice or help I would be most grateful... I have big issues as it stands in leaving a 6 month old with someone else, even if it is in a nursery, but at present there isn't any choice as I am the main breadwinner and my husband does not earn enough for me to stay at home.

Thanks!

#2 Rob75

Rob75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:00 PM

Congratulations on the baby.

I think the best thing for you to do would be to visit some to get a feel for them and what they do. A few people we know have used Teddies in Chesham, so why not arrange a visit now.

Sorry to hear that you're not feeling great about it. Perfectly understandable, but if it is any consolation it does seem to be the norm nowadays that mothers can't afford to stay at home (because housing is so expensive for "our" generation). That sucks, but the kids seem to come out of it just fine - and you can come up with arguments why it might be good for them. Should be plenty of people who've been through it and can offer advice and support.

Although may be hard to get clear advice, because I guess most people would say that the nursery they use is great (otherwise persumably they wouldn't send their kids there), and will say that any nursery they moved away from is terrible.

#3 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:15 PM

Hi Jeannie. Congratulations, and I hope the rest of the pregnancy (and the birth itself) goes well.

My son is about to start his final year at school, so I can't help with specific places, but turning my thoughts back 17 years, a few considerations:

• Whatever you do, it will probably be harder for you than the baby. Look at lots of places and trust your instincts and try not to worry or feel guilty.
  • You may find that choosing is easier than you expect. (I visited seven or eight nurseries, and although most were fine and several were very good, there was one that I felt far happier with. No contest.)
  • I think you need to decide sooner rather than later, in case there is a waiting list. More staff are needed for under 2s, so there may be fewer places for that age.
  • If you're not entirely comfortable with the idea of a nursery, it's worth considering a childminder (I think local authorities have to hold lists). A more domestic environment may be preferable, at least until your child is old enough to participate in some of the activities that a nursery might offer. (My son had a childminder from age 1 to 2, then switched to nursery.)
  • Working part time is, in some ways, more of a juggling act (you don't have the same routine every day), but I am very glad I was able to do it.
  • Although it's an important decision, it isn't set in stone. Your child's needs, and maybe your work, will change in the years before he or she starts school, so be open to the possibility of changing, if it feels right. For instance, a baby may cope better with a very long day (8am-6pm, or whatever) than an active toddler who is reluctant to take a long daytime nap.

#4 Unremarkable

Unremarkable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:07 PM

Hi Jeannie

Of course it's a personal choice and some nurseries suit some parents/children more than others.
However, I would recommend Daybreak near Amersham Station. My son has been happy there from six months and is now almost 4.
They have a lovely outside area and the carers are warm and professional. Do arrange a visit to have a look around.

#5 angieh

angieh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 September 2011 - 02:24 PM

Hi Jeannie

I agree with Unremarkable - my three children have all been very happy at Daybreak. My youngest is still there part time and loves it. The location by the station is great for commuters travelling into London. Whilst I have no other experience of other nurseries, the staff turnover seems very low, with the manager and her other two senior staff members having been in post since the nursery opened almost 8 years ago. I always think that happy staff mean happy children.

I hope that you find a solution or compromise that works for you - and enjoy your maternity leave!

#6 Presendo

Presendo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:News about the area, cultural events and family activities

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

Hi! Not sure if this is a late reply but here it goes.
My son goes to Daybreak, they are really good. Staff is always lovely and they really seem to care about your child. It has a perfect location for who commutes to London as your husband can also pick up your child.

You need to be in the waiting list quite early though.