6 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:22 PM

Anyone on / going to join Google+ the Google rival to Facebook? I have registered so as to have an account in case it takes off, no idea what to do with it, just as I have little idea about Facebook and Twitter, but am on both too!
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#2 timo_w2s

timo_w2s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 03:35 PM

I'm on there, but like you, not really doing much with it...

#3 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,195 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:02 PM

I have it, but have yet to discover the point of it (worse than Google Wave in that respect). It doesn't do anything that other social networking sites don't do, plus it links things together that you may not want connected.

#4 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 12:17 PM

The only social networking sites that I use are the ones that sell pints.

PeterC aka Chilternbirder

#5 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,195 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 22 September 2011 - 05:42 PM

The only social networking sites that I use are the ones that sell pints.

We don't sell pints here (as far as I know). ;)

#6 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:09 AM

I have it, but have yet to discover the point of it (worse than Google Wave in that respect). It doesn't do anything that other social networking sites don't do, plus it links things together that you may not want connected.

There seems to be a lot of complaining about the changes to Facebook. They have also announced they want to get people sharing the music / films they are watching via tie ups with other sites. Is Facebook getting too big? What % of Facebook users actually do anything more than post pictures and the occasional status update / comment? Will a more complex Facebook give G+ a chance, should I go and do some work now ...
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#7 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,195 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:26 PM

What % of Facebook users actually do anything more than post pictures and the occasional status update / comment?

I suspect the percentage is small, but Facebook includes discussion groups on a huge range of topics, and there are people who spend a lot of time in those, and relatively little posting pictures and status updates.

Will a more complex Facebook give G+ a chance, should I go and do some work now ...

Maybe. At the moment, "new" Facebook is very new so almost everyone hates it, but in a week or two most people will have made their peace with it. That's what usually happens with software.