• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 movingout2011

movingout2011

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:34 PM

We are thinking of moving out to Amersham and are thinking about schooling. We have two very boisterous boys, aged 3 and 6. We are keen to know what people think of the Beacon School?

#2 HP6

HP6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:59 PM

I can't comment on the teaching or pastoral care, but the facilities are impressive.

#3 Unremarkable

Unremarkable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:57 PM

They hold regular open days which are great to look around and meet the staff, students and other parents - I think there is one coming up in early October. I've only heard positive things about The Beacon around Amersham but don't have a child there so I can't comment with more insight.

#4 SallyH

SallyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:16 PM

They hold regular open days which are great to look around and meet the staff, students and other parents - I think there is one coming up in early October. I've only heard positive things about The Beacon around Amersham but don't have a child there so I can't comment with more insight.

I can highly recommend The Beacon as I have had 2 children there. My youngest is still at there and in year 5 (so aged 9), having joined in year 1, and my eldest has just started at Dr Challoner's having been at The Beacon since year 3. My eldest has found the transition to Challoners very easy because he has had to move classrooms each lesson, change teachers for each subject and be taught by many male teachers for a few years.

Do go along to the next Open Morning on Saturday 15 October if you have not already visited The Beacon. It is a flourishing school as it is so popular with many families of boys and as well as the great facilities (mentioned previously) I am impressed by the staff and the teaching that my sons have had and still do. The Beacon has always had a very strong sporting tradition, and boys play weekly matches (rugby, football and cricket depending on the term) against other schools from year 3 onwards but the newish headmaster is also very interested in enhancing the drama and music side of the school. Lots of Art scholarships are won to senior independent schools each year so that department is also strong. Because The Beacon only educates boys it is very good at it, and normal boys behaviour is seen as completely normal.

I think you will gather that I am a big fan of the school. Good luck making your decision.

#5 lisa

lisa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:23 PM

I too can highly recommend The Beacon.

We have recently moved away from the Amersham area so my son no longer attends (he was there for the nursery year) however all of our experiences were very good. The facilities are indeed impressive but, more importantly, the teachers are lovely, and the school has a very caring feel. The new head seemed very proactive, with many plans for the future, as well as being very open, welcoming ideas/feedback from parents.

#6 Speedy

Speedy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:51 PM

I have one gripe with the beacon school, the traffic jams the place causes in the morning with parents taking their kids to school in their cars need addressing.

#7 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:33 PM

@speedy
You must realise that parents have to drive their children to school because the roads are unsafe due to the number of children being driven to school.
PeterC aka Chilternbirder

#8 Speedy

Speedy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:42 PM

Like i said, it needs addressing as the traffic it causes isn't funny. Mine walk to school and the car gets left on the drive.

#9 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:33 PM

@speedy
You must realise that parents have to drive their children to school because the roads are unsafe due to the number of children being driven to school.

So, by that logic, if they didn't drive their kids to school the roads would be safe and they wouldn't need to drive them!
Anyway, plenty of kids do walk to school (even a few parents manage it) and I'm not aware of any great accident rate.
Also, please explain why the Beacon causes so much traffic havoc while Our Lady's, just down the road, seems to cause very little. (Heatherton House also causes big problems just round the corner in Copperkins Lane)
David P

#10 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,182 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:44 AM

Also, please explain why the Beacon causes so much traffic havoc while Our Lady's, just down the road, seems to cause very little. (Heatherton House also causes big problems just round the corner in Copperkins Lane)

Because The Beacon and Heatherton House are independent schools, so they don't have catchment areas and thus many children come from beyond walking or even cycling distance: Berkhamsted and beyond.

I confess I found the traffic irksome when I commuted between Amersham and Berkhamsted, but it's a tricky issue for the school to solve (and not really relevant to an enquiry about the suitability of the school for a couple of boisterous boys).

#11 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:59 AM

My neighbours son attends Beacon school and she parks in Clifton Road and walks to it but she's been told off by a resident, even though she wasn't blocking drives. She now sometimes parks in North Road and walks from there if the weather is dry.
Mel and Co

#12 RichardB

RichardB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:03 AM

My three are pretty happy with the Beacon, but I have to qualify this as they only started this term

The open day someone mentioned above is on Sat 15th Oct... my eldest (amongst others) will be happy to show you around

#13 movingout2011

movingout2011

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:10 PM

Many thanks everyone - very useful. We visited last week and we all loved the feel of it. I now understand why the headmaster was so pleased when we said we planned to buy a house in walking distance as didn't want to drive to school!!