6 replies to this topic

#1 Bawbag

Bawbag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:28 PM

It looks like we'll be moving to Coleshill next year and, in lieu of having some time to actually walk it, I've been wondering if there is an easy and obvious right of way between Coleshill and Amersham that doesn't involve walking along the road?

I've been looking at Google Maps and I can't see any obvious paths leading up the hill.

Is there, for instance, a path leading from the northernmost bend in Tower Road to the bottom of Whielden Lane?

#2 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:37 PM

Use Bing rather than Google as they use OS maps.
There is one path shown from by the water tower itself and two from Coleshill which cross and combine to give two different outlets on Whielden Street. I have never walked in that area and have no idea if there are any obstructions, the arial view suggests that the paths cross a ploughed field. I would suggest investing in a 1:25,000 OS map which shows both paths and field boundaries.

I would also recommend Bing over Google for the oblique arial photos which are much easier to follow than the vertical shots that Google use.
PeterC aka Chilternbirder

#3 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:03 PM

Better still, use the Ordnance Survey because:
a) Bing doesn't seem to work with Firefox
b ) Bing only uses the OS 1:50,000 maps, while you can get the more detailed 1:25,000 ones from OS.

To answer the original question: There are essentially two paths. On one you take your life in your hands to cross the by-pass but the other comes out at the, much safer, footbridge. Both can be lovely at the right time of year but they can get muddy and, as they are quite exposed, can be less than pleasant in wind and rain.
David P

#4 Bawbag

Bawbag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:10 PM

Wow, OS Getamap has certainly improved recently; it used to be a relic from the 90s!

#5 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:53 PM

Never had any problems using Bing with Firefox. OS certainly looks a lot more interesting these days.
PeterC aka Chilternbirder

#6 Bawbag

Bawbag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:31 PM

Thanks for the pointers.

I used to have a 3 mile stumble through countryside back from the pub before, this should be a walk in the park :)

#7 Bawbag

Bawbag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

Walked it today in the glorious sunshine, took about an hour dragging the ankle biters along. The route is both well marked and well used from the Coleshill end, and now that I've done it once I know where to cut back through the old town to get back again.