• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 H Sharma

H Sharma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 10:41 AM

I was wondering if anyone knows of any really good places to eat in and around Amersham. We are new to the area and there are so many places so am a little confused.com

Mainly looking for good traditional pubs.

Thank you

#2 Kiff

Kiff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:16 PM

I really rate the Hart & Magpies (which is just out of town on the way to Beaconsfield) http://www.magpiespub.com/

And with a slight adjustment this walk takes you there:
http://www.chiltern....alk_updated.pdf

#3 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:17 PM

Can't help much on pub food as I haven't used local pubs much for several years but Chalfont Dynasty in Little Chalfont is one of the best Chinese restaurants that I have ever been to, closely followed by Ho Ho in Great Missenden run, I believe, by another member of the same family.

Most pubs around here seem to do food, I tend to use the Hen and Chickens in Botley if I just want an simple, well prepared, lunch. Both the good and the boring ones that I have used in the past seem to have changed hands so I can't comment on what they are like now.
PeterC aka Chilternbirder

#4 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:54 PM

I agree PeterC the Hen and Chickens is very good food wise, as is The Swan or The Crown in Ley Hill. The Full Moon in Cholesbury is also very good, with a very extensive menu and it has a steak night on Fridays, it has a website with a sample menu. The Black Horse on Vale Road, Chesham is under new management and the food is very good with extremely large portions.

The Black Horse on Dog Kennel Lane, Chorleywood is also exceptionally good value with very good food and you can have a walk on the common before or after your meal.

A little further away there is The Swan in The Lee which is a traditional olde worlde pub without being twee.

I've also heard that the Blue Bull in Asheridge is very good but I've yet to go in there.

All these pubs apart from The Swan in Ley Hill are dog friendly.
Mel and Co

#5 timo_w2s

timo_w2s

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:21 PM

One of our favourites is the Ivy House on the A413 going towards Chalfont St Giles.

#6 H Sharma

H Sharma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:36 PM

Thank you everybody.

#7 H Sharma

H Sharma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:48 PM

.... Out of curiosity is there anywhere which would have live music with dinner?

#8 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 11 December 2011 - 07:58 PM

The Crown in Ley Hill often has live music, especially on a Friday night. They also take part (with The Swan, which is next door) in the Ley Hill Beer Festival every August bank holiday and they have a Cider Festival.
Mel and Co