14 replies to this topic

#1 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:36 PM

We're thinking of buying a new Ford Kuga and are looking at the 2litre Diesel. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of these cars?
Mel and Co

#2 shaunj

shaunj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:45 PM

Hi Mel,

A mate had one as his company car. Said it was OK, but could not get much in the boot. Struggled with a laptop bag, so don't think Dizzy will fit.

#3 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:19 PM

Thanks Shaun, that's something I'll have a look at next week. I'm sure we can cram her in somewhere!
Mel and Co

#4 jkracing

jkracing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:24 PM

Looks so much nicer than the Nissan Qashqai, though ive heard that is cheaper, its the nicest looking in that category of car. I find you generally cant go wrong with Fords, gear change is always good, not a clunky or cheap feeling that most other makes have in the same level e.g. peugeot etc...

#5 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:33 PM

We actually have a 57 plate Qashqai Tekna! Whatever we get it will be another automatic or whatever description that may be.
Mel and Co

#6 jkracing

jkracing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:57 AM

oh right, as you already have a qashwai thats fairly new, i personally wouldnt bother they aint bad cars, id go for the kuga if i had the choice but as you already have the qashqai why do you need a kuga? or is the new car going to be in addition?

#7 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:24 AM

No it's instead of! The Qashqai is a very thirsty car and we don't like the Juke, so we've been looking at other options. I'm not keen on the Tiguan, we've also looked at the Volvo's 4WD and weren't keen on but I was sitting behind a Kuga in traffic the other day and thought it looked good, so I had a look on the internet and sent the link to my husband and he was impressed with it. The added benefit is that we live a 15 min walk from the Ford Garage for servicing.
Mel and Co

#8 Bawbag

Bawbag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:53 AM

In 2009 we looked at Kuga, Tiguan, Touran, C-Max, Picasso, Qashqai etc. and eventually plumped for the Touran as we got a good deal on it. We had already discounted the chunkier faux-offroad cars though as they didn't have the space we were used to (coming from a Merc E-Class estate) and the extra running costs were considerable - higher insurance, lower MPG and the price of the bigger tyres was frightening!

I've since rented a Kuga on a long weekend away and found the space limited as I thought it would be, but also the engine (2.0 TDCi) surprisingly lacking in power and flexibility compared to the VW unit (2.0 TDI 140ps). It wasn't a bad car, and I think I preferred it to the Qashqai, but I'm glad we didn't go with one.

#9 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:12 AM

As long as the boot can fit the dog in (possibly two, if I get my way...) that's all we need. It never has luggage in it as that goes on the back seat because the dog's in the boot. We don't really need such a big car but we do need the 4wd capability which is why we looked at the Juke but the inside of the Juke is atrocious!
Mel and Co

#10 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 03:11 PM

The Qashqai is a very thirsty car and we don't like the Juke,

The first year depreciation on anew car will more than pay for the extra fuel that the Q uses. (Which is exactly the reason I cannot persuade my wife that I should buy the new car that I want :( )
David P

#11 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:25 PM

The first year depreciation on anew car will more than pay for the extra fuel that the Q uses. (Which is exactly the reason I cannot persuade my wife that I should buy the new car that I want :( )

Oh yes I'm well aware of that but the bonus of a new car, is the warranty! A service at Nissan is about £400 + whatever they find wrong with it. The Qashqai was the first new car I've ever had and while we can afford it I see no reason to buy second hand, as in the past we've had second hand cars, that we've had checked out by the AA and have had nothing but problems with them. Go on David, keep trying to convince her...
Mel and Co

#12 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:39 PM

The added benefit is that we live a 15 min walk from the Ford Garage for servicing.

I don't know if you are thinking of buying it from them but the boss there is possibly the most patronising bullshitter that I've ever come across. I visited with a friend who was in the market for a new car a while ago - it took him 30 seconds to lose any possibility of a sale. After insulting me by implying that my taste must be faulty if I didn't like the inside of a Fiesta (it's like a tacky 1950's juke box made of plastic), he tried to imply that one reason for buying from him was that we would get better service afterwards - which, in turn, implies that if you take in a car bought elsewhere it may not be serviced properly.
David P

#13 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:48 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about me David, I love a challenge!

Incidentally my parents stay to look after the animals when we go away and twice when they've stayed something major has gone wrong with their car, a Ford. On both occasions they've had extremely good service from Priests and have been very satisfied. We had our MX5 MOT'd there in April and I was very happy, I dropped it off at 7am on my way past and at 9am I got a call to say it was ready to be collected. The Qashqai is going in for a MOT on Wednesday so I'll have a look at the Kuga while I'm waiting. I shall report back on my impressions of the car and of the Sales Manager.
Mel and Co

#14 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:41 PM

Had my Qashqai MOT'd at Priests this morning and I was very happy that it passed without any problems.

While I was waiting I had a look at and test drove the Kuga and was very impressed, the boot is plenty large enough and has the benefit of split level opening, ie. you can open the window to put shopping bags in or you can open the entire boot to put luggage etc in. The Kuga itself is very slightly smaller than the Qashqai but has much greater visibility.

I was obviously lucky as I didn't meet the boss but I was slightly disappointed not to meet him!
Mel and Co

#15 Speedy

Speedy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

I don't know if you are thinking of buying it from them but the boss there is possibly the most patronising bullshitter that I've ever come across. I visited with a friend who was in the market for a new car a while ago - it took him 30 seconds to lose any possibility of a sale. After insulting me by implying that my taste must be faulty if I didn't like the inside of a Fiesta (it's like a tacky 1950's juke box made of plastic), he tried to imply that one reason for buying from him was that we would get better service afterwards - which, in turn, implies that if you take in a car bought elsewhere it may not be serviced properly.

Funny you should say that. They take a dim view of my 17 year old fiesta pulling into their parking area :rolleyes: