15 replies to this topic

#1 WatchOutWorld

WatchOutWorld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

We are moving our boys (Years 1,3, and 6) to St George's/Woodside after a rough first half of the year at Bell Lane. Does anyone have any info on either of these schools? I have been to the council website, but was looking more for personal experience from this year.

Also, if anyone has any experience with Little Dragons that would be nice to hear about as well. We might just change childcare arrangements while we are at it. ;)

#2 cathindia

cathindia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:56 PM

My youngest, reception age, has been at St George's for a term. I am very pleased with the school. It is very welcoming and friendly. My youngest has settled well (despite a few hiccups due to us being completely new to the area and my husband being away to start with) but he likes the school and they have been very supportive. Little Dragons also seems very good and the parents who have children who go there seem very happy with it. My youngest has only done 1 afternoon but will be going 4 mornings in the New Year. Hope your children settle in well.

#3 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:23 PM

My oldest is in year 2 there and is progressing well. The Head, Toby Long is excellent, very modern but not a box ticker. He ran a few parents classes last year and I went to the reading one and it was absolutely packed. He's a star!

I've got two younger children who I hope will go there. The early years class is excellent and the year 2 groups are good too.

Little Dragons is also excellent. They've got a brand new building so it's modern and clean and functional. Paul Aitchison, the chap who runs it does a fantastic job - they provide a breakfast club from 0800 and evening care until 1800.

Seriously, other than Miss ****** in year one, the whole school is very good indeed.

Bit I'm interested in what you say about Bell Lane? The impression I got was that it's poor OFSTED reports were undeserved.

#4 Bawbag

Bawbag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:43 AM

I can't offer any opinion on St. George's I'm afraid, but I can only echo the above re Little Dragons; excellent place that our kids (son after school, daughter in full-time nursery) love.

Interested (not to mention relieved, given that we elected to move our son to St. Mary's) to hear you aren't happy with Bell Lane. What was up?

#5 ThreeDaysGrace

ThreeDaysGrace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:52 PM

Also interested to hear what the problem with Bell Lane is :(

Just to put my tuppance worth in, my daughter has been at Bell Lane for a term now (reception) and I couldn't be happier with it :)

#6 WatchOutWorld

WatchOutWorld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:42 PM

Paul, Great. Since I have a year one I think you should send me a PM and let me know what to watch out for. Thankfully my Year 1 is a resilient little guy...

Grace, I hope you have a better time at Bell Lane. There was one certain individual there who seemed to have a real stick up her butt, but <reason removed by admin because it identifies an individual> you know that complaining isn't going to get you anywhere. I do not do well with "adults" bullying children, so we couldn't say goodbye to that place fast enough. I hope you have a better time there, I don't know, maybe my kiddos just didn't fit in.

There were a few other issues as well that we probably could have dealt with, but my kid being called a "pussy" by a teacher was the last straw.

Edited by Fran, 24 January 2012 - 01:41 PM.
Removed identifying information about an individual

#7 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:58 PM

There were a few other issues as well that we probably could have dealt with, but my kid being called a "pussy" by a teacher was the last straw.

Goodness. That makes our problems with a teacher at StG pale by comparison. I'll send you a PM after the kids are in bed. :)

#8 WatchOutWorld

WatchOutWorld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:35 PM

Looking forward to it...

#9 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,720 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

Looking forward to it...

Check your inbox.

#10 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

but my kid being called a "pussy" by a teacher was the last straw.

I wouldn't need anything else. That doesn't sound to me like someone fit to be a teacher.

I presume you complained? Was any action taken?

#11 WatchOutWorld

WatchOutWorld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:47 PM

No, I haven't yet. I will be writing a letter, but for the sake of my boys I decided to pull them before any more damage could be done.

Edited by Fran, 24 January 2012 - 01:42 PM.
Details identifying individual removed

#12 antopipac

antopipac

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:26 AM

I wouldn't need anything else. That doesn't sound to me like someone fit to be a teacher.

I presume you complained? Was any action taken?

Not wanting to sound melodramatic but I think I would have contacted the police about this.
To use this word when addressing a young child that you are entrusted to look after and educate is completely out of order..any teacher who has so little regard for the children in their care clearly should not be in such a position of trust.
Im so glad you managed to get your boys out of there and wish them all the best. :)

#13 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

Not wanting to sound melodramatic but I think I would have contacted the police about this.

Unpleasant and inappropriate as it may be, it doesn't sound like a criminal matter, so I doubt the police would want to be involved (and accusing people of crimes without evidence is potentially libelous, and even with it, could jeopardise any legal action, so please tread carefully).

A formal letter of complaint, as WatchOutWorld is doing, sounds like the appropriate first step, and I'm glad WatchOutWorld has been able to remove their children to an environment they are comfortable with.

#14 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,203 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:44 PM

Further to my post above, I have edited a couple of posts that would identify the individual staff member to anyone connected with Bell Lane. Discussion here could jeopardise any disciplinary action taken against the teacher - as well as put the forum at risk of libel action. Please choose words carefully and use private messages for information that is unsuitable for a public forum.

Also, this topic is (primarily) about St George's.

#15 carkeyz

carkeyz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:50 PM

My client has a daughter at st georges (I run a cleaning agency nothing sordid :) ) and she couldnt rave more about the school and the head teacher there. She seems so impressed.
Bang Tidy Cleaning Services

We LOVE to do the jobs you Hate....

www.bangtidycleaningservices.co.uk

#16 HP6

HP6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

A local paper has published some charming group photographs of the Reception classes in the local schools.

Kandinsky and Mondrian classes at St George's. :D .This is because of the striking similarity between the art produced by the pupils and that of the painters....

P.S. Will the next generation be in Emin or Perry class?