7 replies to this topic

#1 Unremarkable

Unremarkable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

We received a letter at on Friday informing us that now all homes that are in the Chestnut Lane Infant School Catchment are now also in the St. George's catchment.

This is somewhat handy as, living 0.5 miles away from Chestnut lane, young Unremarkable had a very slender chance of getting into Chestnut Lane infants. This meant he would then be allocated a school miles away like Holmer Green and we'd have to appeal to find him a closer school.

With any luck, this change means we are more likely to be given a place at St. George's. We could also change our selection of first choice school if we're quick - the closing date for making a school choice is 15th Jan.

Good news for prospective parents in the Chestnut Lane Catchment I think and saving a lot of anguish.

#2 Rob75

Rob75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

Good news for those people indeed. Bad news for others of course (eg siblings and others out of catchment who are now much less likely to get a space) - just pushes the problem elsewhere.

#3 Unremarkable

Unremarkable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:26 PM

Siblings will still get priority places at Chestnut lane and St. George's as in all schools so no disadvantage there.

It might disadvantage those in Bell lane catchment who wish to get a place in St.George's though because my understanding is that Chestnut lane catchment children will get prioritised. However the change is aimed at redressing the tiny (0.4 miles last year) catchment of Chestnut lane. I think most parents would like to send their child to their catchment area school - which is almost impossible in Chestnut Lane catchment, but not so in Bell Lane catchment.

#4 hjb

hjb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:47 PM

Does that mean houses in catchment for Elangeni will now be in Woodsides' catchment? Or is it just for the infant schools?

#5 Unremarkable

Unremarkable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

The letter only referred to the infant schools but it would seem to make sense. Otherwise the problem is just shifted down the line. I will make further enquiries and report back.

#6 Rob75

Rob75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

Siblings will still get priority places at Chestnut lane and St. George's as in all schools so no disadvantage there.

Sorry but not true (and a common belief) for out of catchment siblings - catchment comes before siblings in the criteria. So the priorities essentially go:
- In catchment siblings
- Others in catchment
- Out of catchment siblings
- Others out of catchment.

So any St Georges siblings in say Bell Lane catchment area (of which there are probably quite a few) have just been pushed down the priority.

It might disadvantage those in Bell lane catchment who wish to get a place in St.George's though because my understanding is that Chestnut lane catchment children will get prioritised. However the change is aimed at redressing the tiny (0.4 miles last year) catchment of Chestnut lane. I think most parents would like to send their child to their catchment area school - which is almost impossible in Chestnut Lane catchment, but not so in Bell Lane catchment.

Agreed, and I think it seems a reasonable approach.

#7 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:11 PM

We received a letter at on Friday informing us that now all homes that are in the Chestnut Lane Infant School Catchment are now also in the St. George's catchment.

An important question is whether the converse is true - has St George's catchment also been extended, or is this 'one-way'?

#8 Unremarkable

Unremarkable

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

The letter is not explicit but it would not make sense to extend the Chestnut Lane catchment to include St. George's. With an effective catchment area of 0.4 miles, it would be very unlikely that a child in St. Georges' catchment would get into Chestnut Lane.

Rob75 - apologies, I was just thinking of in-catchment siblings.