• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mon

Mon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:47 PM

I would like to get your help in recommending a tutor for me. I have a 10year old boy who is due to sit the 11+ this year. It's a long story but we really do require a 'recommended' tutor and I wanted to know if any of you on this forum would be able to suggest someone through experiences of your own. If you could help, I'd really appreciate it. As you know Twist has a long waiting list and we cannot get on that at this late stage. Really appreciate your thoughts. Thanks ;)

#2 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:25 PM

I work for someone who tutors children for the 11+ and GSCE's (in my day they were O Levels :blink: ). I haven't used her but I know two people that have and they have been very happy with her results and obviously their children's.

Her name is Charlie Boad and this is the website: http://www.luckygecko.com
Mel and Co

#3 Mon

Mon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:02 PM

Thanks Mel & Co- Appreciate the swift response, so difficult to know what to do and how to approach these things, Nontheless I'll give Charlie a call and see how the fit is - ;-)

#4 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:44 PM

I'm sure there'll be other recommendations throughout the evening.
Mel and Co

#5 cathindia

cathindia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:06 PM

A friend of mine used Lucky Gecko this summer for her son and she was very happy with them. My son did some coaching in September with the Starkeys (based in Chesham) for his 11+ exam (which he took in October). It was very intense and quite competitive. It suited him as he is very competitive, but it might not suit everyone. If you want more information please let me know.

#6 Mon

Mon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:11 PM

Hi there Cathindia,

Thanks for responding, it's ok I managed to get something for him.

I have managed to secure the last place at Lucky Gecko and took my son for an assessment there. Initial immpressions are very good and he starts on Saturday. Thanks Eaton. Sometimes doing all of this is so touch and go but thankgod I can offer him the support he needs without actually having to tutor him myself which would have been crazy for both of us ;-)

Appreciate all suggestions,

best wishes