HS2 Labour Election Council

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:04 PM

I agree with David and Bawbag about splitting the Tory vote and UKIP's bizarre obsession with a non-TC issue: the leaflet was entirely about HS2, and even objected to the tunnels and cuttings that will protect Amersham.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the Tory vote in other elections locally, and especially to Cheryl's when the general election comes (assuming she doesn't stand down before then).

#32 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

They don't seem to have had a candidate for the town or district elections in the past. At county level they got 3% of the vote in an Anershan by-election and in the last national elections they got 4%.

Assuming you mean 3% of the poll, this leads me to wonder, given the poor quality of their leaflet, how did they manage to come pretty damn close to winning?

#33 Danny Boy

Danny Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

All 4 of the parties campaign locally on an anti-HS2 ticket, so David P is way off target. This thread begins with the Labour candidate expressing his local anti-HS2 credentials. I guess people are only nimbys when they fit specific prejudices.

I’d imagine UKIP will be encouraged by taking 27% of the vote from nothing, and only 3% behind the winner. Not bad considering they have no access to diverted State funds (Lab), can't sell honours for donations (Lab/LD/Con) and don't except £ms from convicted fraudsters (LD). The three main parties have run-up huge unsustainable debts. Who'd a though they'd do the same to the Country?

#34 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

I don't think this can be viewed as "splitting the Tory vote". In the absence of a UKIP candidate, the seat has for quite some time been a very close Tory/LD marginal. It seems that UKIP has taken votes roughly equally from LD and Con (but not Lab, who maintained their share of the vote compared to last May's district council elections). I think the only way to take this is that UKIP were the recipients of a pretty substantial anti-government protest vote. Really quite remarkable.

#35 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

All 4 of the parties campaign locally on an anti-HS2 ticket

But the difference, judging by the leaflets I saw, is that UKIP was the only one that campaigned solely on HS2.