10 replies to this topic

#1 Presendo

Presendo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:News about the area, cultural events and family activities

Posted 13 January 2012 - 08:33 PM

Hi! I have been looking to find information about Chesham Bois C of E school as we are in the catchment. Does anyone have kids there, what do you think about the school?
Is it easy to get a place if within the catchment?

#2 Old Resident

Old Resident

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:Cake decorating and anything to do with cooking.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:09 AM

I cannot believe that no one has replied to this person's request for information about Chesham Bois C of E School. Unfortunately I am unable to give up to date information because my three children went there many many years ago. However, in my opinion it is an excellent village school and has always had a good reputation. From there my children went to Dr Challoners without the necessity for extra lessons which appear to be a 'must' these days. Come on.....there must be parents of children at Chesham Bois school who can say something encouraging?

#3 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:01 AM

I'm not up on schools, I have no need to be however, if you are talking about the school on Bois Lane just above the railway bridge my neighbours 3 children all go there and are very happy and the parents are happy with the school and the teachers.

Sorry I can't add more!
Mel and Co

#4 Old Resident

Old Resident

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Interests:Cake decorating and anything to do with cooking.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:23 AM

Yes, that's the right school Mel....which is a really old and the true meaning of a "Village school" ; I would just like to see replies from parents who have children there now !

#5 ThreeDaysGrace

ThreeDaysGrace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

My child left there last year, but I have a rather... different view on the school that probably wouldn't be welcome here! ;)

#6 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:52 AM

Any view on any topic is welcome as long as it's factual!
Mel and Co

#7 ThreeDaysGrace

ThreeDaysGrace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

The first point I would make is that my daughter was mostly happy there, which is obviously very important! However, having worked there and seen the goings ons inside (as I am sure any school has issues, not just this one!) I wouldn't have sent my younger daughter there. I think if you are the "right" type of person, then Chesham Bois will welcome you. Read into that what you will!
It's a shame, because under the old Head (Mr Brigden) the school really was wonderful.

#8 cathindia

cathindia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:33 PM

I am new to Amersham and 2 of my children have now been at Chesham Bois 1 term (in years 3 and 6). They have both settled really well and the school has been very supportive. I am very happy with the school so far. The only drawback, as far as I am concerned, is that the site is rather cramped and getting to and from the school can be awkward. It is better if you can walk (but my youngest is at St George's so that is not an option for me.). I have my youngest (reception age) on the waiting list. But I don't have any experience therefore of the infants. But in general I have found the school welcoming, friendly and supportive.

In terms of whether you are likely to get a place. If you live in catchment, then, if past years are an indication, you should have no problem getting a place at the normal entry points (Reception/Year 3). The school seems to take a large number of non-catchment children (mine included!).

I am happy to discuss more if you have any specific questions.

#9 Pippa24

Pippa24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:37 PM

Hi, I have 1 child who is in yr1 and has loved the school. He is a July baby so started school when he was only just 4 but the school have been very good and understanding about our worries as parents.
We have a child who is starting school next sept and I have put chesham bois down for her as well.

We find it a very holistic school, nurturing, caring and a lovely atmosphere.

We are in catchment for chestnut lane but for our children felt they suited the approach of chesham bois better. The traffic is a nightmare but if you can walk its lovely as you meet other parents from other year groups and chat on the way to / from school.

Hope this helps

#10 Presendo

Presendo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:News about the area, cultural events and family activities

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:08 PM

Hi! Thank you for all the feedback. I really appreciate all types of opinions and I am very curious about the negative side too. I perhaps didn't read that well between the lines.

We are within walking distance to the school but it is so difficult to decide what school to go for when you only hear about chestnut lane all the time but nothing about the school that is within your catchment area.

We can also apply for the our Lady but I find it is "a bit far" considering the other school is just 5 minutes walking distance but on the other hand if our Lady is much better I wouldn't mind the extra car commuting. The most important for me is too be clear about the pros and cons about both schools.

I did hear that the school has a new head but no idea if this is good or not. For the parents that had kids there before and after, what were the main changes you noticed?

Does anyone have kids at our Lady too?

#11 ThreeDaysGrace

ThreeDaysGrace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:40 AM

Do you mean Chesham Bois has a new head?
I think any school will have it's bad points, but it's weighing them up against what's best for your child. And like I say, I had a inside view of the school which most parents won't see! Have you visited the school? Things like being able to visit whenever you like, not only on set days was a big thing for me, and how welcoming the staff are etc. I'm not one to go by OFSTED reports or 11+ pass rates as I see that as a load of old tosh to be honest! (I'm aware I am in the minority here ;) )