• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 downleyboy

downleyboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 04:10 PM

and I've been there for 2 years. Since I began we have got busier and busier. I love working there and we have been mentioned on this forum quite a few times, all (while I've been there) positives. I have always done my own menu's using fresh produce that is prepared on site. I work for a large company and some of the sites aren't doing so well and it seems we are all being tarred with the same brush, thus we're being asked to do a company menu. I, obviously, can't get an objective opinion from anyone I know or work with so I thought this might be a good place to come. Please post any comments on the following 2 menus (1 which I have planned, and the other that the company has asked me to do).

MENU A:
Soup of the day
Potted ham hock, house piccalilli
Baked camembert, Artisan bread, marinated olives, red onion marmalade,
Smoked haddock hash cake, poached free range egg
Prawn cocktail, marie rose sauce, atlantic prawns

Seared calves liver, parmesan polenta, crisp pancetta, sage butter
Confit duck leg, soft noodle salad, orange and sesame dressing
Slow cooked pork belly, queen scallops, black pudding, Madeira jus
Shepherds pie, minced lamb, lamb cutlet, baby carrot, braised leeks
Classic chicken kiev, potato rosti, wilted baby spinach, garlic butter
Grilled polenta cakes, sauteed baby vegetables, pea shoots, herb veloute
12oz rib-eye, twice cooked chips, watercress and pea shoot salad (+peppercorn, tarragon butter or blue cheese sauce)
Whole grilled plaice, new potatoes, baby spinach, lemon and caper butter

Beer battered haddock, chips, pea puree, tartar
Sausage, mash, baby spinach, caramelised onion gravy
Honey glazed ham, bubble and squeak, poached egg
Burger

Dark chocolate brownie
Creme brulee
Lemon and ginger cheesecake
Bread and butter pudding

MENU B:
Soup of the day
Grilled sardine, garlic and onion toast, devilled butter, caper salsa
Chicken liver parfait, onion toast, soused vegetables, red onion marmalade
Twice baked goats cheese and walnut souffle, red onion marmalade, seasoned grapes
Baked camembert, marinated olives, artisan bread
Warm salad of smoked trout, marinated sweet potato, pickled cucumber, shallot and dill creme fraiche
Truffled asparagus, herbed hash brown, poached egg, hollandaise sauce

Corn-fed chicken supreme, French peas, pancetta, baby carrots
Local rabbit, smoked bacon and cranberry pie, spiced red cabbage, smoked garlic mash
Fillet of sea bass, potato gallette, green beans, crab and citrus salad, hollandaise sauce
Parma ham wrapped pork belly, cauliflower puree, peas, baby carrots and broad beans, red wine jus
Black olive gnocci, prevencal vegetables, pine nuts, buffalo mozzarella, basil oil
Catch of the day
Herb glazed calves liver, bubble and squeak cake, vintage ale onion rings, crisped pancetta, red wine jus
Fillet of beef, herbed potato cake, green beans, wild mushroom and Oxford blue sauce

Burger
Vintage ale roasted ham, fried eggs, chips

Bitter chocolate tart, clotted cream ice cream, parsnip crisps
Vanilla and white chocolate creme brulee, shortbread, spiced berries
Blackcurrant parfait, shortbread, creme anglaise, soft meringue, fresh blackberries
Treacle sponge, custard

If you could be bother to read all that, cheers!

#2 K&P

K&P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:Good food, good wine, The Chilterns

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

As a punter, rather than a chef, I'd go for Menu B. Just seems like there's a few more subtle touches to it.

K

#3 SallyH

SallyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:59 PM

As a punter, rather than a chef, I'd go for Menu B. Just seems like there's a few more subtle touches to it.

K

Yum yum to both of them. They both sound really good and I could make choices from both menus that I would be very happy to eat. I am guessing yours is Menu B?

Wish I knew where it was so that my husband and I could visit, we are due a meal out as a post-Christmas, dull-January treat.

#4 Old Resident

Old Resident

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Cake decorating and anything to do with cooking.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:48 PM

Where can we find this Local Eatery Near Amersham? the food sounds fantastic ! (Menus A and B )

#5 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:33 AM

Both menus are appealing, but overall, I have a slight preference for the rather more creative menu B.

I hope that's the answer you were wanting, as it's the clear winner so far, but if not, at least you have something to go on before putting your head above the parapet at work.

I suppose you can't tell us where to go to sample the current menu, and I hope this show of initiative and creativity doesn't cause you any problems at work.

#6 Bawbag

Bawbag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

Yes, menu B seems to have a bit more imagination put into it.

I too am intrigued!

#7 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:15 PM

This isn't fair, I have only just had lunch and this has made me hungry again!

Like the others I prefer menu B
PeterC aka Chilternbirder

#8 Bucks Fizz

Bucks Fizz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:17 PM

I'll have everything on menu A please - twice over! It reads like the current menu at The Crown in Chalfont St Giles - which menu I own up to sampling often. That said,I'd find several dishes I like on all your menus. It's getting harder to find 'traditional' British food, which is why A appeals to me.

#9 Desert Rose

Desert Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:17 PM

Both menus sound delicious, but surely you need to consider your desired client base? I'd say menu A is 'safer' for people who are not very adventurous, are mixed parties (for example if we dined out with my mum I know the only thing she'd touch would be the sheperd's pie or haddock from menu A) or people who are accompanied by children. Menu B is a bit more of a 'foodie' menu in my opinion.

#10 Elliott

Elliott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

They both look yummy but, if I've read it right, vegetarians get choice of one meal?

#11 downleyboy

downleyboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:06 PM

They both look yummy but, if I've read it right, vegetarians get choice of one meal?

Sorry, but I think that is quite normal. We always have veggie starter and main specials on though.

#12 K&P

K&P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:Good food, good wine, The Chilterns

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:14 PM

Come on, Downleyboy! Which one's yours? :-)

#13 jarrod

jarrod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Interests:Music, Sport (mainly watching) and Hiking

Posted 27 January 2012 - 06:29 PM

I like the look of both menu's but would choose B if forced........maybe with the addition of the "Shepherd's pie" dish from A (especially if it's like the mini Shepherd's pie that I've had previously at the establishment that I think you are referring to :rolleyes: ).

The thing that would swing it for me are the use of ingredients such as rabbit which are not so common. I also prefer the deserts on B, they sound more imaginative.

#14 barbara

barbara

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:11 AM

I to would like menu B,but I would't say no to both,I would dearly love to know where I have to go to sample this lovely sounding food.

#15 downleyboy

downleyboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

I like the look of both menu's but would choose B if forced........maybe with the addition of the "Shepherd's pie" dish from A (especially if it's like the mini Shepherd's pie that I've had previously at the establishment that I think you are referring to :rolleyes: ).

The thing that would swing it for me are the use of ingredients such as rabbit which are not so common. I also prefer the deserts on B, they sound more imaginative.

Yes, that's us. But unfortunately, it's not as it would be far too expensive, especially when serving it with a lamb cutlet I'm buying for just under 2 pounds, plus baby carrot.