• 77 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:14 PM

Here's another one !?

Is "earnt" really a word?
Crown Taxis
01494 580 580

bookings@crown-taxis.com
www.Crown-Taxis.com

Call, email, Skype or register on our website to make real time bookings and collect loyalty points on all your journeys

http://www.Crown-Taxis.com/Register/

#2 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:51 PM

No, it's not.
David P

#3 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:20 PM

I don't disagree with David, and his answer is short and practical. However, if you want the full story, it's a little more complex (and if you don't, feel free to ignore the rest of this post).

There is a group of irregular verbs whose past tense can end in -t or -ed. These include: burn, dream, kneel, lean, leap, learn, spell, spill and spoil. British English tends to accept either, while American English usually only accepts the -ed version. "Earn" is not among those words, though "earnt" is sometimes found, perhaps because of its similarity with "learnt". However, "earnt" is generally regarded as non-standard, so I would avoid it.

In practice, there is often a subtle difference in meaning between the -t and -ed versions, with the former relating to something quick and one-off (e.g. spilt milk) and the latter referring to a longer process (e.g. oil spilled out of the tanker for several weeks).

Perhaps the most interesting debate is what constitutes a word? If it's widely used, easily understood and mentioned in dictionaries (even if only as non-standard or even wrong), in what sense is it not a word, and what are the criteria for being a word?

#4 jkracing

jkracing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:11 PM

Perhaps the most interesting debate is what constitutes a word? If it's widely used, easily understood and mentioned in dictionaries (even if only as non-standard or even wrong), in what sense is it not a word, and what are the criteria for being a word?

I was going to say the same thing, if people say it, its a word, though is there is the debate is it correct in the sense of the "correct english language".

Many words before have come into the dictionary simply because of use amongst people or have already been in circulation and changed meaning.

#5 Crown Taxis

Crown Taxis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:27 PM

Thank you all for your input.
Crown Taxis
01494 580 580

bookings@crown-taxis.com
www.Crown-Taxis.com

Call, email, Skype or register on our website to make real time bookings and collect loyalty points on all your journeys

#6 K&P

K&P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:Good food, good wine, The Chilterns

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:23 PM

I love these threads, Crown Taxis!

How about 'learnt'?

K

#7 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:35 PM

How about 'learnt'?

See my post, above. ;)

#8 Crown Taxis

Crown Taxis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:51 PM

I love these threads, Crown Taxis!

Just updating our website.... Better to ask than make a spelling mistake !
I remember reading a thread where people were pointing out spelling mistakes in local shop windows, don't want to end up in that thread.
Crown Taxis
01494 580 580

bookings@crown-taxis.com
www.Crown-Taxis.com