3 replies to this topic

#1 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

I an told that the empty shop that used to be half of the Post Office at the bottom of Hill Avenue is to become a Sue Ryder shop.

A quick count revealed that it will be the ninth charity nshop in top Amersham (though I may have missed one or two).

Either Amersham is a very charitable place or the the point of diminishing returns must be rapidly approaching, where the share of the total business is insufficient to make them viable.
David P

#2 Bawbag

Bawbag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:48 PM

Hmm, not a lot of passing trade for a charity shop there I would've thought.

Ho hum.

#3 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

Actually, even though we moan about charity shops they are popular with a lot of people, they would not run them if they were not, even taking into account the lower running costs compared to other shops. The location also is also perhaps not as crucial as other shops, the Red Cross shop has been going for years close to the junction of Sycamore Road and Grimsdell's lane, not a prime retail site.

The quality of the charity shops is an issue I think though. A nice town like Amersham will generally have good quality charity shops. Although not based on any scientific or statistical facts, I think our chairty shops are a lot better quality than those in other towns around the country. I have heard that people like the chairity shops in Gerrards Cross because of the quaility, related to the quality of the town?

With regards to rates and rent. Empty premissses now do not qualify for no business rates any more (although I think there is a period of I think 6 monhts free if empty), so the land lord will have to pay the rates. I think there are various "schemes" where by chairities can occupy a building for a period and then vacate which may mean another free period of rates. However, if a landlord can get a tennant, even if that tennant does not pay rent, then the land lord saves on the rates. So why are rents going up? It may be a tennant had a lease with a rent review very 3 or 5 years, whith a clause that the rent will go up by an agreed formular, the rent review may coincinde with a break clause, so if the rent goes up the tennant may take the opportunity to break their lease. The landlord will then have to get another tennant or renotiate a new lease with the previosu tenant, but finances changes over time and what seemed like a good lease when originally signed will be viewed differently at the break time, so the tennant may want to have a much cheaper lease which the land lotd would not go for hopeing for somethign better in the longer term.
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#4 gazza13

gazza13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:57 PM

It had a cardboard felt tip poster in the windows the other day that said "Sue Ryder". that might be a clue