65 replies to this topic

#61 Elliott

Elliott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:49 AM

Don't forget that it's a speed limit, not a target!

And not all road users are capable of achieving that limit - cyclists, horse riders, pedestrians, disabled drivers...... ;)

#62 jkracing

jkracing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

Nearly all motorists I come across dont understand if there are two lanes onto a roundabout there is almost always two lanes going around the roundabout, i think its more the majority rather than the minority that do this, especially with mini roundabouts, its a traffic offences i believe to drive over one unless you are a large vehicle, I always know someone is going to do it however i make a point of it and give them a toot. another thing with miniroundabouts it if there are to lanes on to it, the left lane is to take the left exit and the right lane is to go right, people dont understand this either, the number one place for this in the world is comming back from high wycombe to amersham just where the two petrol stations are, one is a shell garage, cant remember the other one.

#63 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

I think the two, adjacent mini roundabouts by the petrol stations in Hazlemere make an inherently confusing layout - even to people fairly familiar with them. What people do at other, straightforward roundabouts, is another matter.

#64 jkracing

jkracing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

I think the two, adjacent mini roundabouts by the petrol stations in Hazlemere make an inherently confusing layout - even to people fairly familiar with them. What people do at other, straightforward roundabouts, is another matter.

If you are approaching it from Amersham going to High Wycombe there is a sign which tells you what to do on the approach to it, I follow the same procedure for the way back however no one seems to do this but me!

#65 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

I haven't used that particular junction for a long time but it isn't at all unusual to see motorists negotiating a roundabout in accordance with some personal theory that totally ignores the actual road layout, lane markings or traffic signs.
PeterC aka Chilternbirder

#66 Bawbag

Bawbag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 10:47 PM

I haven't used that particular junction for a long time but it isn't at all unusual to see motorists negotiating a roundabout in accordance with some personal theory that totally ignores the actual road layout, lane markings or traffic signs.

Indeed. The lady who took great offence this morning at my proceeding onto the mini-roundabout at St George's school when I had clear right of way among them.