65 replies to this topic

#1 Crown Taxis

Crown Taxis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:23 AM

I swear most people on the roads cannot stay in their lanes. They are so unaware of other vehicles on the roads. You would certainly have an accident if you don't avoid them.

Are you one of them ?! :angry:

( You may find this hard to believe coming from a taxi driver, but I do stay in my lane. )
Crown Taxis
01494 580 580

bookings@crown-taxis.com
www.Crown-Taxis.com

Call, email, Skype or register on our website to make real time bookings and collect loyalty points on all your journeys

http://www.Crown-Taxis.com/Register/

#2 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

Drifting across lanes or failing to get in the right lane at the right time?

The former isn't too bad but there are enough muppets around to keep you on your toes.

The latter seems to be getting worse as people watch their satnavs rather than the road signs. The M25 / M1 intersection at South Mimms can be very bad although it is very confusing. I mean who would imagine that the lanes signed for "A1 North" go to the northbound A1?

(I suppose that I should have put in some sort of emoticon there - the junction is of course one of the most clearly signposted in the South East)
PeterC aka Chilternbirder

#3 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:07 PM

Drifting across lanes or failing to get in the right lane at the right time?

The former isn't too bad but there are enough muppets around to keep you on your toes.

I'd have to say the exact opposite. The latter is annoying but rarely dangerous. Drifting across lanes when someone is in your blind spot is asking for an accident. Lane discipline on roundabouts is particularly bad.

#4 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:04 PM

I would say mini roundabouts are the worst. The magic roundabout at Hemel had only just been designed when I started driving. There are probably a large amount of over fifties driving around who have had no training on how to use mini roundabouts.

#5 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:17 PM

There are probably a large amount of over fifties driving around who have had no training on how to use mini roundabouts.

Strange, then, that the ones that have by far the greatest number of accidents (the 17 - 24 year olds) are the ones that have had the most recent training.
David P

#6 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:35 PM

Strange, then, that the ones that have by far the greatest number of accidents (the 17 - 24 year olds) are the ones that have had the most receint training.

Mind you David when we were in that age bracket there were far less cars on the road to run into.

#7 Bawbag

Bawbag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:52 PM

I swear most people on the roads cannot stay in their lanes. They are so unaware of other vehicles on the roads. You would certainly have an accident if you don't avoid them.

( You may find this hard to believe coming from a taxi driver, but I do stay in my lane. )

I've got used to expecting people coming towards me on roads like Chiltern Avenue, such is the poor state of the inside of the road.

Having learned to drive on country roads where you might find a car, tractor, sheep etc. in the middle of the road round the next bend, a little bit of wandering doesn't faze me at all. In fact, I wish more folk would rediscover the joys of wandering back towards the inner lanes on our motorways! (already moaned about that here though :) )

#8 Crown Taxis

Crown Taxis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:18 AM

The motorists who really annoy me are the ones doing 30 in a 50 mph zone !
What is up with that ? At least keep to the speed limit.
Crown Taxis
01494 580 580

bookings@crown-taxis.com
www.Crown-Taxis.com

Call, email, Skype or register on our website to make real time bookings and collect loyalty points on all your journeys

#9 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

I'm sure there will be a reply on here later telling you that just because there is a limit you don't have to drive to it.
But the drivers who wind me up the most, are those that drive at 40-45 in a 60 and when the limit changes to 30 continue at 40-45. Are they on auto pilot ? or just oblivious to their surroundings.
I can guarantee that at least twice a week i will follow such drivers back from Chorleywood to Amersham. However they remember to slow for the camera by the zebra crossing and then accelerate back to 40-45 when they get to the bridge.

#10 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

But the drivers who wind me up the most, are those that drive at 40-45 in a 60 and when the limit changes to 30 continue at 40-45. Are they on auto pilot ? or just oblivious to their surroundings.

Yes, I agree. I work in Aylesbury, and most of the route is national speed limit, though it's not always sensible to go that fast, especially at rush hour in the dark. However, it is irritatingly common to follow such a vehicle.

As to the OP, it's not an issue that I've noticed much. I do wish more people used their indicators, though.

#11 Crown Taxis

Crown Taxis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:43 PM

I'm sure there will be a reply on here later telling you that just because there is a limit you don't have to drive to it.

My answer to that would be, that this will frustrate some driver to the extent that they may try and over take on a blind bend and hit someone in the process. I've seen it happen. So in fact it is dangerous driving at almost half of the allowed speed limit.
Crown Taxis
01494 580 580

bookings@crown-taxis.com
www.Crown-Taxis.com

#12 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

My answer to that would be, that this will frustrate some driver to the extent that they may try and over take on a blind bend and hit someone in the process. I've seen it happen. So in fact it is dangerous driving at almost half of the allowed speed limit.

No, it is dangerous to overtake on a blind bend.
David P

#13 Crown Taxis

Crown Taxis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

That is what I said. Some people out of frustration will overtake on a blind bend.
Crown Taxis
01494 580 580

bookings@crown-taxis.com
www.Crown-Taxis.com

#14 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

If I recall correctly, driving unnecessarily slowly is deemed driving without due care and attention

#15 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:39 AM

The standard of driving in Amersham/Chesham and the UK is getting worse but I'm presently in NZ and have done many hundreds of kilometres in the last 2 weeks and can categorically state that the UK driving standard is far and above that of NZ.

Don't even get me started on their very very very strange driving rules...
Mel and Co

#16 Gooner

Gooner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:56 PM

Quite clearly you are a menace! It is a speed limit. That means you are limited to that speed, it doesn't mean you must drive at that speed!

Are you Mr Road Rage? Do I need to stay out of or indeed away from any vehicle with a Crown Taxis logo?
Yah yah yah...

#17 Crown Taxis

Crown Taxis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:17 PM

Mr Gooner - Am I breaking any laws at driving at the speed limit allowed? Or, saying that people should drive at the allowed speed limit? Is my driving and countless others' driving dangerous because I drive at the speed limit allowed?

147 was right... ^

Quite clearly you are a menace! It is a speed limit. That means you are limited to that speed, it doesn't mean you must drive at that speed!

So all people who drive at the speed limit are a menace? Or am I the only one?
Crown Taxis
01494 580 580

bookings@crown-taxis.com
www.Crown-Taxis.com

#18 Gooner

Gooner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:58 PM

Mr Gooner - Am I breaking any laws at driving at the speed limit allowed? Or, saying that people should drive at the allowed speed limit? Is my driving and countless others' driving dangerous because I drive at the speed limit allowed?

147 was right... ^

So all people who drive at the speed limit are a menace? Or am I the only one?

Thanks, you've just answered my question. I'll stay well well clear of Crown Taxi drivers.......................
Yah yah yah...

#19 Crown Taxis

Crown Taxis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

I don't understand? How have I answered your question?
Crown Taxis
01494 580 580

bookings@crown-taxis.com
www.Crown-Taxis.com

#20 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

Not quite correct. As all motorists are entitled to drive at the speed limit, driving below it, holding other drivers up could mean you are driving without reasonable consideration for other road users.

Are you Mr Road Rage? Do I need to stay out of or indeed away from any vehicle with a Crown Taxis logo?

Simmer down. Stay on topic and refrain from personal attacks.

#21 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

Highway code Rule 146:

Adapt your driving to the appropriate type and condition of road you are on. In particular

• do not treat speed limits as a target. It is often not appropriate or safe to drive at the maximum speed limit

Rule 147:

Be considerate. Be careful of and considerate towards all types of road users, especially those requiring extra care (see Rule 204). You should

• try to be understanding if other road users cause problems; they may be inexperienced or not know the area well
  • be patient; remember that anyone can make a mistake
  • not allow yourself to become agitated or involved if someone is behaving badly on the road. This will only make the situation worse. Pull over, calm down and, when you feel relaxed, continue your journey

And often there is just no point in driving at the speed limit. For example, what is the point of going up to 60 down Amersham Hill into Chesham,, when you know perfectly well that there will be a queue at the bottom?
David P

#22 Gooner

Gooner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:35 PM

Highway code Rule 146:
Adapt your driving to the appropriate type and condition of road you are on. In particular

• do not treat speed limits as a target. It is often not appropriate or safe to drive at the maximum speed limit
Rule 147:

Be considerate. Be careful of and considerate towards all types of road users, especially those requiring extra care (see Rule 204). You should
  • try to be understanding if other road users cause problems; they may be inexperienced or not know the area well
  • be patient; remember that anyone can make a mistake
  • not allow yourself to become agitated or involved if someone is behaving badly on the road. This will only make the situation worse. Pull over, calm down and, when you feel relaxed, continue your journey

And often there is just no point in driving at the speed limit. For example, what is the point of going up to 60 down Amersham Hill into Chesham,, when you know perfectly well that there will be a queue at the bottom?

Thanks David. Perfectly quoted.
Yah yah yah...

#23 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:30 PM

As you know, the Highway Code is not law, it's guidance. Contrived hypothetical examples aren't helpful.

#24 Elliott

Elliott

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:42 AM

As you know, the Highway Code is not law, it's guidance. Contrived hypothetical examples aren't helpful.

Sorry, not true. This is taken from the introduction of the online version of the Highway Code at Diretgov. Maybe we should all read it through and refresh our memories from time to time.

Many of the rules in the Code are legal requirements, and if you disobey these rules you are committing a criminal offence. You may be fined, given penalty points on your licence or be disqualified from driving. In the most serious cases you may be sent to prison. Such rules are identified by the use of the words ‘MUST/MUST NOT’. In addition, the rule includes an abbreviated reference to the legislation which creates the offence. An explanation of the abbreviations can be found in 'The road user and the law'.

Failure to comply with the other rules of the Code will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted. The Highway Code may be used in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts (see 'The road user and the law') to establish liability. This includes rules which use advisory wording such as ‘should/should not’ or ‘do/do not’.
Knowing and applying the rules contained in The Highway Code could significantly reduce road casualties. Cutting the number of deaths and injuries that occur on our roads every day is a responsibility we all share. The Highway Code can help us discharge that responsibility. Further information on driving/riding techniques can be found in ‘The Official DSA Guide to Driving - the essential skills’ and ‘The Official DSA Guide to Riding - the essential skills’.

#25 carkeyz

carkeyz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:47 AM

The worst road by far must be the duel carriageway in Chesham past the park and sainsburys.... The lanes are just wide enough but people being lazy drivers means both lanes cant be used when two cars are next t each other, thats my biggest bug bear....

It also really annoys me when people are ridiculously slow, there is no need. The limit is there because that is the speed set for that road... Slow people cause accidents just as much as the quick....

And on the subject of young drivers I am 22. I have been driving since I was 17, had one small ding but that was due to my awful parking lol.....
Bang Tidy Cleaning Services

We LOVE to do the jobs you Hate....

www.bangtidycleaningservices.co.uk

#26 PeterC

PeterC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:05 PM

The worst road by far must be the duel carriageway in Chesham past the park and sainsburys....

The lane markings were very faded last time I looked and vanish totally in wet weather.
PeterC aka Chilternbirder

#27 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:18 PM

The worst road by far must be the duel carriageway in Chesham past the park and sainsburys.... The lanes are just wide enough but people being lazy drivers means both lanes cant be used when two cars are next t each other, thats my biggest bug bear....

When originally built it was only one lane each way, they then decided to squeeze two lanes in, but the lanes are very narrow.

Moving onto another aspect of this thread - by all means comment on driving rules etc, but do not attach fellow posters / forum members. From the content in this topic, there is no reason to assume Crown Taxis are bad drivers or should be avoided, this type of comment is not needed.
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#28 mvjt

mvjt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:40 PM

The standard of driving in Amersham/Chesham and the UK is getting worse but I'm presently in NZ and have done many hundreds of kilometres in the last 2 weeks and can categorically state that the UK driving standard is far and above that of NZ.

Don't even get me started on their very very very strange driving rules...

Now, to me the driving rules I learned over there are logical! ;-) "Give way to the right" pretty much covered it.

#29 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

Now, to me the driving rules I learned over there are logical! ;-) "Give way to the right" pretty much covered it.

:D This daft rule was supposed to be stopped as of the 1st April but then they decided that people might think it was an April's fool! I can't remember the exact date but I think it's in May now.

I spend at least 75% of my time repeating a mantra I learned during my advanced driving course, which was something like 'treat everyone else on the road as if they are morons and this is a dodgem ride'. The remaining percentage is spent counting the remains of possums on the road, which in some areas is at least 1 per km!
Mel and Co

#30 Speedy

Speedy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:55 PM

Amersham hill is one bad spot for this, there are two national speed limit applies signs yet drivers continue to do 25 - 30mph down there. Would you drive at 30mph on a motorway? No you wouldn't, so why do it here? There are two signs, white with black stripe, one on each side of the road... look at them! It's frustrating enough trying to get through the terrible traffic outside the beacon school at 8am, only to be held up by captain slow down the hill as well.

Rant over.