Big Screen Olympics - Will You Go?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:03 PM

According to the Town Council website, there will be an 80ft screen for the Olympics. Details will follow, so I have no idea where it will be, but will this be a good opportunity for a community get-together, or will you watch or ignore from the comfort of your own home?

#2 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:11 PM

If I am at home I will prefer to watch on my own TV and would not make a special trip to a large screen. But, if I was out and the screen was in a place I passed, then I am sure I would stop to watch for a bit. I wonder if there will be drinks / food on sale at the screen for people to enjoy / for people to make money?

Matthew Jones - posting from mobile device
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#3 Bawbag

Bawbag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

I must say I find this a curious choice of discretionary spend in these austere times. While there are a few events that generate the interest that may drive people to a communal screening, I can't see a huge crown gathering at 10am to watch sailing heats, Uzbekistan take on Portugal at judo or the absolute pinnacle of athetic endurance and skill that is synchronised swimming.

If the screen is only going to be switched on for the 'big ticket' events like the 100m final then it would be an even more conspicuous waste of money.

I may be wrong though, and done right it could be a good thing (screens during the World Cup seem to be well funded and provisioned), but given the fact that the Olympics is not the World Cup I'm not that hopeful.

#4 HP6

HP6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

I'll only go if I'm in charge of the remote.

#5 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:21 PM

I must say I find this a curious choice of discretionary spend in these austere times.

I have no idea of what the cost might be, but I presume there would not be a charge to watch it. I suppose it's possible that sponsorship from stall holders and food outlets, and even Olympic sponsors might cover some of the expense.

Also, where would be a good location? King George V field, the Memorial Gardens or somewhere else?

#6 gazza13

gazza13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

Victoria Park near the Olympic park is expecting 1.4m people over the games period to watch a similar screen. I'm not sure Amersham could cope with that amount of people.

#7 Bawbag

Bawbag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

Victoria Park near the Olympic park is expecting 1.4m people over the games period to watch a similar screen. I'm not sure Amersham could cope with that amount of people.

That's the kind of location where a big screen will work though, catering to the demand that exists due to limited ticket allocations, just like the World Cup.

Can't see it happening in Amersham.

#8 Kiff

Kiff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 11:23 AM

I can't imagine anyone I know using it. But I guess a lot of younger families might like it, it depends on the weather though.

#9 jkracing

jkracing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

Simply No!

#10 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

I'll only go if I'm in charge of the remote.

:D
Mel and Co

#11 fox500

fox500

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:27 AM

Screen will be in King George V playing field, no cost to Council for one day only.

#12 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:03 PM

For one day, hardly seems worth it
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#13 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

Screen will be in King George V playing field, no cost to Council for one day only.

No cost may be good, but which day and which events, I wonder?

#14 MarkD

MarkD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:19 PM

Presumably it's the opening or closing ceremony?

#15 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

Probably. But which?

#16 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:47 PM

Or probably not. My guess is that it will be sponsorsed by a big company and will tour towns in the district - one day each.
David P

#17 jkracing

jkracing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

Im all for the Olmypics but its simply not worth the agro its causing up Town. If they had dumped it elsewhere not a problem but London is at capacity as it is.

#18 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 12:38 PM

Details for anyone interested:

Saturday 11th August from 11am to 7pm, a big screen in King George V field will show Highlights of the day’s live sporting action to include: Men's Football Final, Women's Cross Country Cycling and Men's 10m Diving Platform Semi-final: http://www.buckscc.g...m_livesite.page

There will be other things in the field, too: And the event’s ‘Small Stage’ will be alive with entertainment from local bands, artists and performers ranging from the acoustic and mellow sounds created by ‘Rafe’s Place’Opens in new window, Chiltern youth creative agency, to the fabulous Amersham Brass Band in concert - bringing show tunes from the cream of popular classics! Chalfont St Giles's youth club's very own street dance crew ‘Misunderstood’ will perform and there will also be films and animation created and produced by young local film-makers. Map of what will be on the site: http://www.amersham-...31123406878.pdf

From those links, you can also see which dates there will be similar events in Wycombe and Aylesbury.

#19 Bawbag

Bawbag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

Popped along yesterday for an hour or so. Pretty poor showing I'm afraid to say.

Screen was locked on to red button channels showing sailing (from previous day, mostly) then live mountain biking. The minimal 'crowd' that was there (2-300 people at best) appeared disinterested by the whole thing. Much better if they'd just stuck it on BBC1 and had the varied coverage which would have shown bits of live action, interviews, reviews, medal ceremonies etc.

Only one food/drink stand selling mediocre burgers/hotdogs at the expected inflated prices, but the number of portaloos (20+?) and layout of the field showed that they were expecting a lot of people.

It may have been busier later on (we left at about 2pm as the kids were bored senseless), but from what I saw it didn't appear a particularly good use of council funds.

Maybe it could have been better publicised?

Edited by PaulEden, 12 August 2012 - 08:45 PM.
extraneous posts deleted.

#20 janespain

janespain

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 09:27 AM

My partner and I went along for a bit in the afternoon (we only knew about it as were passing earlier in the day), though the screens were showing volleyball and football (red button coverage?) so we gave up and went home to watch the pentathlon. Would have stayed to enjoy the afternoon if we could have been cheering on team GB and think it would have improved the overall atmosphere. Also, the volume was way too loud for it to be watch-able - would have been ok if we were in Hyde Park!

#21 ThreeDaysGrace

ThreeDaysGrace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

Decided not to go to this after being very disappointed with the big screens in Hyde Park! Luckily we went to Hyde Park on the day of the swimming marathon, so we had something decent to watch for real! I think for a "big" event (ie diving finals, men's 100m, tennis final or opening/closing ceremony) it would have been a good atmosphere.

#22 Duncan

Duncan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:12 PM

For free entertainment we thought it a pleasant way to pass some of the afternoon. The children had the choice of a climbing wall, trying musical instruments, drumming and a few other stalls. While we were there the big screen was showing the Olympic football final and then the organisers conducted a 'cheer poll' to see whether we'd rather watch Team GB play hockey instead - which we did. The kids always love a chance to climb on a Fire Engine too.