14 replies to this topic

#1 wittonend

wittonend

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

When I have been past the White Lion near GE recently there has been no lights on in the evening and the curtains closed during the day. Does anyone know whether it is the latest pub in the area to close ? We could be lucky though if it opens up again as a charity shop.

#2 gazza13

gazza13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:51 PM

I've noticed this recently too. Then i thought it had opened as there were four guys loitering outside over a couple of afternoons. Then I realised they were probably GE employees on a ciggie break. Great idea it could be a charity superstore or a soup kitchen. Certainly looks well and truly closed.

#3 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

Just received the attached, it re opens April 5

Yes, I know the file is upside down, but that is how I received it! You should be able to rotate in your pdf reader

Attached Files

Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#4 gazza13

gazza13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:16 PM

Thats a relief, I thought another pub had gone never to return.

#5 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:26 AM

Anyone else been to eat at the White Lion since it's been refurbished ?

Went there with the missus yesterday (Friday) for an impromptu lunch. 

She had the burger (hand pressed £10 or £11) I had the pulled pork sandwich on onion bread (£8.50) both with came with chips.

First impressions - new decor was excellent. Friendly staff. Food arrived quickly enough, (served on slates :-).

Both meals good.

I saw tables getting cleared quickly, which is good to see.

In summary - bit pricey, but the quality was higher than average. So value OKish. 

I'd like to go back to try some of the other meals which looked interesting.

And glad to see it looked pretty busy.

Negatives - apparently you can't run a tab if you're sitting outside (contradicts new image if you think people are going to do a runner) Pomeroy doesn't have this problem but can't remember if you need to leave a card to start a tab there.

Good luck to this new venue - thankfully I think it's too far removed from it's predecessor to simply call it refurbished.

#6 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

My wife and I went last friday, living across the road we were hopeful that it might be a locals pub with food. However there is not much choice on the menu which is a bit pricey for pub grub. The food was fine but the language of the people drinking in the bar was a bit much even for me let alone a woman. Although the pub has had a nice refurb I fear it will fail as it is neither a pub or a restaurant.

#7 gazza13

gazza13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

My wife and I went last friday, living across the road we were hopeful that it might be a locals pub with food. However there is not much choice on the menu which is a bit pricey for pub grub. The food was fine but the language of the people drinking in the bar was a bit much even for me let alone a woman. Although the pub has had a nice refurb I fear it will fail as it is neither a pub or a restaurant.

My wife and i had the same problem with language in the Red Lion that was knocked down. So we stopped using it. Hence the reason it was knocked down I suppose.

#8 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

we stopped using it. Hence the reason it was knocked down I suppose.

So much power!

Use it wisely. ;)

Seriously though, it's surprising that two people on this forum mention bad language in a local pub being so bad that they stayed away thereafter. I've never noticed it as a problem, even in cities. Maybe I just haven't been listening. 

#9 gazza13

gazza13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

So much power!

Use it wisely. ;)

Seriously though, it's surprising that two people on this forum mention bad language in a local pub being so bad that they stayed away thereafter. I've never noticed it as a problem, even in cities. Maybe I just haven't been listening. 

We are not prudish at all Fran, however without going into too much detail I believe the language was cranked up to cause indirect offence to us because we had gone to the pub to watch the football and had invaded the local clients space.

The tactics worked I suppose, but it also stopped the pub doing some business to pay for its Sky package. We now go to a pub in Chesham to watch football.

#10 the hatters

the hatters

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

does anyone know if there is an up to date website for the new white lion pub, as I would be interested to see what is on offer.

#11 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:40 PM

Not sure if they have a web site. But the menu consists of 9 meals or Pizza. Food is good but pricey for what is essentially Pub Grub.

#12 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

Tut tut!

The pub page on this web site has details of the web site for the White Lion!

http://www.amersham.org.uk/pubs/#White

Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#13 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:17 PM

Thankyou Matthew

#14 Pink Begonias

Pink Begonias

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:03 AM

This type of behaviour in a pub is precisely why many local people will not frequent it. Both The Red Lion and The Pheasant suffered from this loutish element (as mentioned in their own threads) that certainly kept other locals away. This along with big TV's constantly on and banks of flashing machines. How can I say this? Because I was one of those locals. Having had bad experiences in both of the above pubs I never returned. Whilst I am sorry to loose any local amenity I am actually glad that they are gone. We can do without a gathering place of such characters in my opinion.

#15 Jeff T

Jeff T

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:07 AM

My wife and I visited the other night to see what they'd done to the place. It's been given a radical makeover and is totally different from the old place. Nice decor and seating arrangements etc. Prices reflect this refurb however. £7.50 for a large white wine seems a bit steep to me and £10.95 for a burger is what I would expect in the West End. I had Fish and Chips and my wife had the the Fish Finger sandwich. Both were disappointing . In both cases the batter on my fish and my wife's fish fingers was way overcooked. Not bad enough to be sent back but not good enough either. We did point this out to the waitress but she didn't seem to know what to do with our feedback other than to apologise. There didn't appear to be any managerial presence so we paid up and left. Maybe we were unlucky but I'm unlikely to return anytime soon on the basis of my first experience.