2 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:14 AM

Amersham Town Council want Street Buddies to help keep the streets of Amersham clean.

http://www.amersham-...%20vol%20a3.pdf

I suppose this is part of the "Big Society" but I thought part of the council services we pay for (be it Amersham or Chiltern) was to keep the streets clean, on the other hand, I tidy up outside my house is I see litter, so could not everyone do that?
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on Twitter

Amersham News Views & Information is also on Facebook

Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#2 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

I tidy up outside my house is I see litter, so could not everyone do that?

Yes, and many do, but most of the litter is not outside people's houses. I suspect that if shop and restaurant owners were asked to take responsibility, that little would come of it, and that they would also point out that their business rates should cover such things.

#3 jkracing

jkracing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:51 PM

Individual People that drop litter are selfish, and in my experience always seem to be idiots or criminals in society. On the large scale with businesses this is a massive problem everywhere as it can be very expensive to pay for waste to be removed though I haven't seen to many instances of fly tipping in Amersham like elsewhere.

On another note, its nice that people volunteer to do this. Good on them.