• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sham75

sham75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

Just an observation (and I am not judging).

As I walked through our lovely town this morning! The glass recycle bins were out for collection, and I noticed that the overwhelming contents of the recycle bins were empty wine bottles almost without exception to every house, on one street in particular (I won’t name) I counted 14 houses in a row where this occurred.

Far from taking this a negative, I concluded that this is a positive, with the hugely over inflated duty now payable on alcohol and wine clearly being the town's tipple of choice, I saw this as a clear indication of not only the pecuniary but also the middle class status of our town!
;-)

#2 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,195 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

That doesn't surprise me at all, and I expect it's typical of many areas (though we know it's one that has Thursday collections, which presumably cuts it down by 4/5!).

Beer comes in cans, bottles of spirits should take longer to empty than bottles of wine, so the only other things for the glass recycling are jam jars and... not much else really.

#3 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:07 PM

So one would asume that after todays announcement by the government that they are going to penalise all of us for drinking at home, the pubs and clubs in Amersham will be full this weekend ?