Don't forget to read the Forum Rules!

#2 MichaelHooley

MichaelHooley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:50 PM

Occupying the now defunct Little Bond Street, it's an Italian-style deli, also offering dine-in coffee and sandwiches. Initially a bit of a yawn, until this morning I noticed fresh vegetables displayed, greengrocer-style, on the pavement. Stay tuned.
Michael Hooley

#3 SallyH

SallyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

My husband and I went into The Grocer at 91 this morning, he for the first time but me for the third but both of my previous visits had been for takeaways. We both really liked it.

Really good coffees, yummy lemon polenta cake, stylish surroundings and lovely seats in the window. There were delicious looking cakes, cookies and other sweet goodies on the counter, fresh loaves to take away (we bought a pain au levain) plus lovely sounding lunches, although as we were there at 11ish it was a bit too early to try the homemade soup. I try to go out for coffee everyday so am thrilled to have a new place to visit - we will be back. A really good addition to the High Street in Old Amersham.

#4 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

It appears to open early. I usually drive past ~7.30am, and it looks as if it's open at that time. One day soon, I'll drop in on my way to work. I'm not sure what time it closes, though.

#5 sarah

sarah

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

It opens at 8am, closes at 6pm.
Not open on a Sunday.
I think they are missing out not opening on a Sunday as there is always loads of people wandering around the Old town on a Sunday....

#6 MichaelHooley

MichaelHooley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

Not open on a Sunday.
I think they are missing out not opening on a Sunday

A few people still believe that not opening on a Sunday is a good thing!
Michael Hooley

#7 HP6

HP6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

A few people still believe that not opening on a Sunday is a good thing!

As do those retailers who don't open for reasons of conscience or because they fancy a day of rest. :rolleyes:

#8 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

It opens at 8am, closes at 6pm.

Thanks for that. If/when I ever manage to leave work on time :unsure: (and not be in a hurry to get to something else), I'll pop in.

#9 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

I've now been in, and it's lovely, though I wouldn't call it a grocer. I didn't try the coffee, but they had a wonderful selection of unusual but appealing cakes (the courgette and lime one was amazing) and they do sandwiches etc as well. In terms of groceries, there are a few meats and cheeses, plus jars and packs of pasta, sauce, oil etc and, as Michael said, fresh veg (which I think is organic). Very friendly staff.

#10 freethinking

freethinking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

I agree, I wish there was more fruit and veg! One thing I like about this place is it is child-friendly, met up with some other mums and pushchairs were allowed, and a nice big table in the middle.

#11 freethinking

freethinking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

Just to add......had a lovely sandwich (but at a price £4.50 - to take away! ££££££!!!!!)

#12 MichaelHooley

MichaelHooley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

Just to add......had a lovely sandwich (but at a price £4.50 - to take away! ££££££!!!!!)

Suggest buying some slices of their own Rosemary Ham, bring it home to make your own sandwich!  Delicious!

Michael Hooley

#13 MichaelHooley

MichaelHooley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Miracle cold cure:

1. Buy a "go cup" of G91's best hot chocolate in the world.

2. Take it home and remove lid

3. Add a shot of brandy.

4. Drink it.

Maybe "cure" is slightly overstating things, but this was at 10.30 this morning, and still feeling human.

Michael Hooley

#14 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

I'm eating one of their sandwiches now, but it's HUGE (as was the slice of cake I tried last week). For the quality and quantity of ingredients, I think it's reasonable value, but I won't be able to eat it all. One between two is the way to go!

Incidentally, I had a bit more of a look at their meats and cheeses: more than I first realised, but they're not displayed to best advantage, so are easy to miss, whereas the cakes and pastries are laid out as an impressive spread.

NB For those with coeliac's disease or wheat intolerance, it's worth knowing that they had TWO gluten-free cake options. 

#15 SallyH

SallyH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

I am now something of a regular at The Grocer at 91 and not just because I know one of the owners through my younger son's school. The coffee is great, the sandwiches are really yummy and all the cakes, that I have tried, are really delicious.

Early on it The Grocer was often quiet but now it is buzzing each time I go there. I have recommended it to many friends and the feedback has always been positive. I too wish for selfish reasons, it was open on Sundays as we often like to go to Old Amersham en famille for a stroll and love a coffe/hot chocolate along the way.

Amersham is lucky to have The Grocer at 91.

#16 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

I'm glad it's doing well. A couple of times lately, I've driven past shortly before opening or not long after closing and it looked darker and emptier than usual at those times, so I was a little worried. I've been in a few times, and been very pleased with the choice and general atmosphere each time.

#17 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:39 PM

The Grocer at 91 is the only business in CDC to feature in the "Muddy Stiletto Awards" (no, me neither), although it won Best Deli (rather than, say, Best Café). Oddly, the results are in the Examiner (http://www.getbucks....t-bucks-7181247) but not yet  on http://muddystilettosawards.co.uk/

#18 Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Matthew (MPJ/Admin)

Administrator

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:37 PM

Good they won, interesting mix of other categories

#19 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 03:47 PM

The Grocer is still at 91, but as of yesterday, is also in Broadway, a couple of doors along from Chimichanga(?). Some of the same things, and some extra ones. All the fresh produce seems to be from there, rather than 91.

#20 imule

imule

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

We saw the Grocer at No 15 being worked on last time we were in the Old Town. It seems a shame it's not open on Sunday, as free parking at the car park round the corner from the new shop would, I would imagine, have made it a popular choice. We've tried to visit no 91 on several occasions but it's always been too busy to get in with the pram.

#21 Bids123

Bids123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:25 PM

I went into the Grocer at No15 the other week with my young daughter and the baby in the pushchair. The staff were very welcoming and helpful at squeezing us around the long table at the back without too much disruption! The carrot cake I shared with my daughter was delicious, as was the focaccia sandwich we took home for lunch.

#22 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,173 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:30 PM

I've had excellent food and very friendly service in both, but I still don't really "get" the idea of having two such similar places a few hundred yards apart. Well, I guess larger premises aren't easily available, but what's a little confusing is that they look the same, but I the two menus are almost totally different.

And not being open on Sundays, especially in the summer when #15 is so close to the summer concerts in the Memorial Gardens, is a shame in many ways.