• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 07:05 PM

I've been meaning to mention this for a while as it's probably my most frequented fast food joint in the town.

Amersham Kebab on Hill Ave. Near Santhi and Nautica.

Fantastic burgers. It would be even better if they could do bacon as a burger filling, as well as cheese and the usual salad stuff. Always properly cooked. Half pound cheese burger option to really show your arteries what for! Easily the best shop bought cheeseburger I've ever had.
Chips. Every time, very nice indeed. Deep fried and invariably hot and fresh.
Kebabs. Although I rarely eat them myself, I'm told they are top notch. Fresh, hot meat and great salads.
Service, always as quick as you'd expect. It often gets busy in there, but I rarely have to wait to be served. I'm usually in and out within minutes. Always courteous and laugh at my jokes!
Price. Not quite as competitive as Nautica next door, but they are a slightly different market. Anyway, I think the price difference accurately reflects the difference in quality between the two. I invariably drop the best part of the change into the tips tray.

Paul

#2 roob_the_doob

roob_the_doob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:16 PM

I can vouch for the lamb shish kebabs. Decent meat well-cooked (they'll ask how well-done you want it), and an enormous portion of salad to go with it. Excellent value at under a fiver (an almost identical price as fish'n'chips).

#3 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:20 PM

I've had the burger as well and thought it was great. All the food was piping hot and very tasty. The burger wasn't at all grisly as it can be in some shops.

Not my usual haunt but nice for a change.
Mel and Co

#4 mvjt

mvjt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:57 PM

I love it there!
As a vegetarian I can't vouch for the meat, but their salad and hummus in pitta bread is delicious - massive servings of lovely fresh salad. And wonderful chilli sauce which they are always willing to put into a separate pot for me too! My o/h does enjoy his meat kebabs, so i guess they do them well too.
And they are always very friendly in there - which counts for a lot

#5 Indigenous

Indigenous

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 04:47 PM

As a vegetarian...

Sorry mvj, but i can heartily recommend their chicken sandwich - marinated chicken breast with all the salad and lashings of garlic mayo.... mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Top marks on the chips too!

#6 Kiff

Kiff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:27 PM

I don't think I've eaten from there ever.... last time I came home from London steaming and desperate for a doner they were closed as it was the last train... :(

You lot are making me hungry !

#7 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 05:30 PM

Oh you really must try it, Kiff. It's top nosh, well priced.

#8 gazza13

gazza13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:50 PM

Great place if you are out late, it is usually the last place open on the high street, very friendly

#9 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 26 December 2006 - 08:44 PM

Fantastic burgers. It would be even better if they could do bacon as a burger filling,

I asked why they don't offer bacon as a filling, half afraid I was making some religious faux pas. They said that bacon is not on the menu as they don't feel it's right for their target market. They said, and I quote "Bacon is for the sandwich shop, not for kebabs". I have to say that I can see their point, despite the fact I'd still like to see bacon there but as I told them at the time, the lack of bacon most certainly won't stop me going there.

#10 Bawbag

Bawbag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:07 PM

Is this place still as good as it obviously was 5 years ago?

#11 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:59 PM

Is this place still as good as it obviously was 5 years ago?

Still as good. And you won't get a better burger in the town.

#12 jkracing

jkracing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:59 PM

not the best in the world but its pretty good

for me they let themselves down as it would be nice to get a smile from the staff, or a thank you would go along way, it really annoys me, do they want my custom or not? I only go in there as there is no other choice!

#13 Delta

Delta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:05 PM

I see that it's under new management and had a name change.

#14 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

As Delta noticed last year, it's now called Superb Kebab. The staff are very nice and the actual menu has hardly changed.

The food is still good.

#15 Amersham Resident

Amersham Resident

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:59 AM

Oh the gourmet delights of Amersham!

The occasional kebab from there is my secret delight.

Personally, I also wish we had a decent chinese, ever since Manns moved to Old Amersham I've always thought we've badly missed a good chinese restuarant. I know we have the take-away opposite the BP garage, but take-away just never quite hits the same heights for me.

#16 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:16 PM

I must confess I now use Mr Peri Peri for my kebabs as they are less greasy. As for a Chinese take away Ken under the bridge at the station is our choice.

#17 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

We tried Mr Peri Peri once on a quiet wednesday evening. It was inedible. Not been back since.

have the take-away opposite the BP garage, but take-away just never quite hits the same heights for me.

The tiny one on the White Lion Rd, near the double glacing place? It's supposed to be very good, although I don't eat Chinese food at all.

#18 Amersham Resident

Amersham Resident

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:33 AM

We tried Mr Peri Peri once on a quiet wednesday evening. It was inedible. Not been back since.

The tiny one on the White Lion Rd, near the double glacing place? It's supposed to be very good, although I don't eat Chinese food at all.

Yes, that's the one. Dishes are of high quality and very reasonably priced.