A Bit Of A Niggle

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,147 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:41 AM

I blame Lynne Truss

For what? Raising awareness and provoking debate, the fact she makes mistakes too, her irritating manner...?

#62 Duds

Duds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:53 PM

Not knocking any necro...watd'youmacallit or anything. Think all this is great stuff.
Even better now that I've had a persoanl post from someone who was very dear to me that I've not seen or spoken to for around 20 years!

Can't believe (for an ex rugby league lad) how emotional this can make you.

Long live forums like this and all the necro thingymyjigs that post on them!

Paula.....give me a call. Telephone number on its way! xx

#63 a t o m i c

a t o m i c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 10:34 PM

For what? Raising awareness and provoking debate, the fact she makes mistakes too, her irritating manner...?

Making a career out of pedantry.

#64 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:53 AM

Making a career out of pedantry.

We all have to earn a living somehow, at least it's honest work and it could be worse she could be a politician.
Mel and Co

#65 a t o m i c

a t o m i c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:01 AM

We all have to earn a living somehow, at least it's honest work and it could be worse she could be a politician.

http://www.guardian....-richarddesmond

#66 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:21 AM

Hmm, yes. The Daily Express. :) In their defence, I'd comment on the passage about 'battle tanks'. I'm quoting here, so please excuse me if I contravene our forums rules and obfuscate the swear word;

A page nine article on the conflict in Georgia is said to provide "some classic b******s", by referring to "battle tanks".

"Are all other tanks to be described as big metal cars for soldiers with a decorative gun on top?" the memo said.

The phrase normally used is 'Main Battle Tank' which refers to the heaviest offensive armour modern armies deploy. The British for example, use the 80 tonne Challenger 2. Anyway, 'battle tank' is an acceptable contraction of this so in this case, I think the Guardian's criticism (or at least the commenting on an internal Daily Express memo) is unfounded.

#67 a t o m i c

a t o m i c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:26 AM

Hmm, yes. The Daily Express. :) In their defence, I'd comment on the passage about 'battle tanks'. I'm quoting here, so please excuse me if I contravene our forums rules and obfuscate the swear word;

The phrase normally used is 'Main Battle Tank' which refers to the heaviest offensive armour modern armies deploy. The British for example, use the 80 tonne Challenger 2. Anyway, 'battle tank' is an acceptable contraction of this so in this case, I think the Guardian's criticism (or at least the commenting on an internal Daily Express memo) is unfounded.

I think it's the SUNDAY Express rather than the Daily Express in this case (the editorial teams will be quite different).

#68 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 11:31 AM

I think it's the SUNDAY Express rather than the Daily Express in this case (the editorial teams will be quite different).

Ah yes, you're right and my comments are more aimed at the senior Express journalist who wrote the email, rather than anyone else, though if the Guardian article was intended to ridicule the Express, the could have picked up on the point I raised earlier.

#69 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,147 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 10 October 2008 - 07:43 PM

I blame Lynne Truss and her ghastly book.

http://www.guardian....-richarddesmond

Does that catalogue of errors indicate that Lynne Truss' "ghastly book" has had no effect or has its existence empowered whoever wrote the memo criticising them? ;)

#70 HP6

HP6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

The bar has been raised.

Student Wednesday

All you have to do Guy’s is show your student ID once your finished in the chair & only pay £10 for your haircut.

Just remember its every Wednesday.

© danielles [sic] barbers, Woodside Road, Amersham, 2012

#71 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,147 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:19 PM

Did you, or would you tell them? I would feel rude walking in just to do so, but if I was in there, having my hair cut (yes, I know it's a barber's), then it might be possible to wheedle it into conversation.

I recall that when Mango Lounge opened, it said "Dinning" on the sign. It was corrected quite quickly and I wonder what prompted the correction.

Edited by Fran, 11 March 2012 - 10:35 PM.
Fixed typo

#72 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

Did you, or would you tell them? I would feel rude walking in just to do so, but if I was in their, having my hair cut (yes, I know it's a barber's), then it might be possible to wheedle it into conversation.

Ouch.
David P

#73 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,147 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:34 PM

If I said it was a deliberate mistake... you wouldn't believe me, and you'd be right not to.
Just a case of carelessness from rewording the sentence (and now corrected).

#74 HP6

HP6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

Come on then, which of you is Gillian Munrow?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...onitor-23379861

:rolleyes:

#75 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

Certainly not me.  Back in the 70s, 80s? I watched one episode of Clavdivs.  Whether you could hear the actors or not, I didn't think it was worth listening to.

If you want my pet beef it's newsreaders (almost all of them) who gabble and ignore all punctuation - except when they are talking about themselves, when everything is enunciated clearly and distinctly.

David P

#76 Bawbag

Bawbag

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

If you want my pet beef it's newsreaders (almost all of them) who gabble and ignore all punctuation - except when they are talking about themselves, when everything is enunciated clearly and distinctly.

I've no idea what you're talking about...

#77 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,147 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:38 PM

An excellent clip, Bawbag.

As for Gillian Munrow, I've never heard of her, but was struck by the unusual spelling of her surname.