• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy

Jeremy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:49 AM

I do hope the good citizens of Amersham will be able to help me with any info on the following ancestors of mine:

Jesse Saunders, born 1834 and one time beer house keeper of The Eagle in Hyde Heath. Any info on this beer house? Any connection with Saunders End, Hyde Heath?

Alfred Parsons, born 1861, died 1891. Married at the Lower Baptist Chapel. Is there a Baptist burial ground? And is his granddaughter, Mary Good, interred with him? She was born prematurely in February 1910 and only survived a few hours. Perhaps she has her own grave, maybe at the Newtown Cemetery?

Any help on any of these marvellous people whom I've come to know and respect over the past few months would be truly, gratefully received.

#2 bluesbrothers

bluesbrothers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:07 PM

You wouldn't be Jeremy Saunders who went to Winterbourne (Beacon) School in the 60's by any gargantuan leap of imagination, would you?

#3 Jeremy

Jeremy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:29 AM

You wouldn't be Jeremy Saunders who went to Winterbourne (Beacon) School in the 60's by any gargantuan leap of imagination, would you?

No, I'm affraid not!!

#4 Guest_Taxi lady_*

Guest_Taxi lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:00 PM

Hello there, right where shall i start? Jesse Saunders son of Thomas and Mary, i presume....... No connection with Saunders End Hyde Heath im afraid, i am so sure because, "my lot" of Saunders lived on the old farm there and Saunders End was named after James Saunders 1881 who married Elizabeth Higgs, James was the brother of my great grandfather Henry Albert Saunders.... I have a vast number of saunders in my tree and there may be a connection that i just havent found yet....... happy searchings and even happier findings...... By the way "my" saunders came from Coleshill, which although is now in Bucks, was for part of the 1800's in Hertfordshire..... Coleshill is about 4 miles from Chesham where your Jesse was born.....

There is an Eagle pub in the old town of Amersham but definitly not in Hyde Heath, have you tried looking at Kellys Directory for the years you think are relevant, it may help withy the actual location of the pub............

#5 Jeremy

Jeremy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 12:03 PM

Thanks for your info 'Taxi Lady', as you know in this game anything, no matter how small a piece of info it may seem to be, is worthwhile.

I did find my Jesse in Kelly's Directory, but also found another Jesse Saunders which confused me for a while, but he was a running The Cock & Rabbit in The Lee, Gt. Missenden, in 1883 & 1899.

I also have a William Saunders br. 1818, aged 73 on the 1891 census and lodging at the house of Robert Holloway, my grandmother's step father. I'm not sure if this William is the brother of Thomas, (as in the Thomas and Mary you mention), any ideas?

Finally, I would dearly like to track down the burail site of little baby Mary Good, who died in Feb 1910. I've tried all the local parish councils to check their records, but as yet have come up with nothing. I'm waiting on news from the Baptist Chapel in Amersham. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again for your info.

#6 Guest_Taxi lady_*

Guest_Taxi lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for your info 'Taxi Lady', as you know in this game anything, no matter how small a piece of info it may seem to be, is worthwhile.

I did find my Jesse in Kelly's Directory, but also found another Jesse Saunders which confused me for a while, but he was a running The Cock & Rabbit in The Lee, Gt. Missenden, in 1883 & 1899.

I also have a William Saunders br. 1818, aged 73 on the 1891 census and lodging at the house of Robert Holloway, my grandmother's step father. I'm not sure if this William is the brother of Thomas, (as in the Thomas and Mary you mention), any ideas?

Finally, I would dearly like to track down the burail site of little baby Mary Good, who died in Feb 1910. I've tried all the local parish councils to check their records, but as yet have come up with nothing. I'm waiting on news from the Baptist Chapel in Amersham. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again for your info.

Hello again, i walk past the Baptist chapel every day to go to coleect my son from school, i will pop in tomorrow and see if the parish clerk is there and see if she can offer any info.....

#7 Guest_Taxi lady_*

Guest_Taxi lady_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2007 - 06:41 PM

Me again!!!! I was just wondering if you knew that Mary Goods death was registered in Amersham in 1910....

#8 Jeremy

Jeremy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 10:30 AM

Me again!!!! I was just wondering if you knew that Mary Goods death was registered in Amersham in 1910....

Hi. Yes I have mary's death certificate, but if you have any joy with the Baptist Parish clerk or verger, that would be great. Thanks again.

#9 Cel G

Cel G

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 02:05 AM

Hello there, right where shall i start? Jesse Saunders son of Thomas and Mary, i presume....... No connection with Saunders End Hyde Heath im afraid, i am so sure because, "my lot" of Saunders lived on the old farm there and Saunders End was named after James Saunders 1881 who married Elizabeth Higgs, James was the brother of my great grandfather Henry Albert Saunders.... I have a vast number of saunders in my tree and there may be a connection that i just havent found yet....... happy searchings and even happier findings...... By the way "my" saunders came from Coleshill, which although is now in Bucks, was for part of the 1800's in Hertfordshire..... Coleshill is about 4 miles from Chesham where your Jesse was born.....

There is an Eagle pub in the old town of Amersham but definitly not in Hyde Heath, have you tried looking at Kellys Directory for the years you think are relevant, it may help withy the actual location of the pub............

I am taking a shot in the dark here, but Taxi Lady, you stated your GGrandfather was Henry Albert Saunders. That was my uncles name, and the names Henry and Albert descend through my family. We are trying to research our family history and come to a brick wall when it comes to my GGrandfather. His name was John Lester Saunders. We believe his father's name was Albert, though some state it was George. We have no information at all regarding my GGrandfather's family other than these 2 names. I have my GGfather's death certificate and it states his father as Albert, mother unknown and birthplace of York State. We also believe he immigrated to the US in 1861, when he would have been 4-5 years old. (born circa 1857) Do you know of any way to find out if he was actually born over there or here in the US? (We have checked New York State and all York counties we can find, but come up empty handed) Or anyway to check a census. I do not have an ancestry membership, so the UK records are out for me...bummer :( Or perhaps someone knows of a genealogy group there that may be willing to do a little digging on this for me? I would appreciate any help or information. Thanks so much!!!

#10 oldsplice

oldsplice

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 12:32 PM

I do hope the good citizens of Amersham will be able to help me with any info on the following ancestors of mine:

Jesse Saunders, born 1834 and one time beer house keeper of The Eagle in Hyde Heath. Any info on this beer house? Any connection with Saunders End, Hyde Heath?

Alfred Parsons, born 1861, died 1891. Married at the Lower Baptist Chapel. Is there a Baptist burial ground? And is his granddaughter, Mary Good, interred with him? She was born prematurely in February 1910 and only survived a few hours. Perhaps she has her own grave, maybe at the Newtown Cemetery?

Any help on any of these marvellous people whom I've come to know and respect over the past few months would be truly, gratefully received.

Hi Jeremy!

I don't know why I haven't noticed this post before, but have you tried the Hyde Heath Website?

http://www.hydeheath...nd pictures.htm :)

#11 leslie

leslie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 05:58 PM

I do hope the good citizens of Amersham will be able to help me with any info on the following ancestors of mine:Jesse Saunders, born 1834 and one time beer house keeper of The Eagle in Hyde Heath. Any info on this beer house? Any connection with Saunders End, Hyde Heath?Alfred Parsons, born 1861, died 1891. Married at the Lower Baptist Chapel. Is there a Baptist burial ground? And is his granddaughter, Mary Good, interred with him? She was born prematurely in February 1910 and only survived a few hours. Perhaps she has her own grave, maybe at the Newtown Cemetery?Any help on any of these marvellous people whom I've come to know and respect over the past few months would be truly, gratefully received.

I do hope the good citizens of Amersham will be able to help me with any info on the following ancestors of mine:Jesse Saunders, born 1834 and one time beer house keeper of The Eagle in Hyde Heath. Any info on this beer house? Any connection with Saunders End, Hyde Heath?Alfred Parsons, born 1861, died 1891. Married at the Lower Baptist Chapel. Is there a Baptist burial ground? And is his granddaughter, Mary Good, interred with him? She was born prematurely in February 1910 and only survived a few hours. Perhaps she has her own grave, maybe at the Newtown Cemetery?Any help on any of these marvellous people whom I've come to know and respect over the past few months would be truly, gratefully received.

Only recently found your query but can tell you the Eagle beer house at Hyde Heath was the property that is now next door to the village garage, Heath Motors. I now live there but am not sure what information you are looking for so please let me know.

#12 Joan sellens

Joan sellens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:26 AM

My maiden name was Irene Joan Saunders ( i have always been called Joan though) my Father is William George Saunders Ex Grenadier Guards, now in New Zealand. I have a brother David and my mother was Zelma.
My father had a brother Jim and a sister Margaret. my Grandfather was George saunders Married to Doris Taylor. I have cousins who are still in the amersham area as far as I know, the Dangerfield family I believe Richard and Dinah.

My great uncle Ted and aunt Amy had something to do with rearing pigs and also a pub I believe. I think my great grandparents might have been named Hawk Or Hawkes.

My granmother's Parents moved to Ashleworth gloucester and ran the post office there my cousins still run that . So my father ended up in gloucester too and met my mother there.

I hope this info will ring a bell with some one who can fillme in a bit more as the info I have from my Dad is a bit sketchy and he is too old to help me much now. Margaret is still alive in ashleworth but distance and age a problem there too.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Joan sellens

#13 clivebowman

clivebowman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 09:55 AM

I know that a 'Mrs Saunders' lived at Stratford Cottage, Tylers Green/Penn on 12th January 1918, as she hosted part of the wedding reception of my grandparents Tom Harley and Phyllis May Beale. Is this of use to anyone?
Clive Bowman clivebowman@me.com