209 replies to this topic

#181 MarkD

MarkD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:51 PM

Hi Dave. I'm from the same era (also starting senior school in the year of the drought), though I wasn't in Amersham then. However, I too have been in IT for nearly 20 years, though not as an uber techie (I translate the techie stuff to real language that (hopefully) users can understand). ;)

I left Challoners in 1994 but was born in the year of the drought... So has there been a thread on who works in IT then? A lot of forum members sound like they do - I certainly do - in fact if any .NET developers fancy a permanent role I'm currently interviewing for 2 developers to join a Microsoft Gold Partner in Chalfont St Peter. I hadn't thought to ask on here before, but you never know who's reading... I have a job spec I can send to anyone who might be interested - feel free to contact me for more details.

#182 DogChops

DogChops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:50 AM

... in fact if any .NET developers fancy a permanent role ...

I'm old...I do COBOL...

Hands up, I was at Challoners from 74-78, left after my gce's, also drank in the Swan (79-81) and the Horse (77-86)

I was probably a little later than you in those pubs; I think I started at the Iron around '85 but the memory fades with age y'know...

#183 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 05:55 PM

I'm old...I do COBOL...

Wow! Another one! *Does the special handshake*

#184 DogChops

DogChops

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:36 AM

Wow! Another one! *Does the special handshake*

Well there's a fair chance I'll be redundant in the autumn, so you know, *special handshake* 'n' all that... ;)

#185 chablis

chablis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:27 AM

Hello all,

Moved to Amersham (from London) a few weeks ago and still settling in (takes me a while). Enjoying it so far! I work in Oxford while my wife works in London, and we thought this would be a decent compromise...

#186 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:58 PM

Moved to Amersham (from London) a few weeks ago and still settling in (takes me a while). Enjoying it so far! I work in Oxford while my wife works in London, and we thought this would be a decent compromise...

Hi and welcome, you will probably notice that a lot of the member's on here were originally from London.
Mel and Co

#187 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:59 PM

I work in Oxford while my wife works in London, and we thought this would be a decent compromise...

That was one of the reasons we moved here too. Both my wife and I could reasonably get to both our works from here.

#188 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Family, Computers, the country side, the good life, pest control (Old Bill Pest Control) & anything diffrent

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:10 PM

Hello all,

We moved here to get away from London and bring our children up somewhere 'normal':)

#189 RickyVilla32

RickyVilla32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:47 PM

Evening all,

It seems that I have gone the opposite way to alot of the forum users as I grew up in LC and now live in Ealing!!
Came to the LC in 1980 and went to St Georges and then Woodside. Moved to St Clement Danes in Chorleywood when I was 11 and then went to the Lycrome Rd campus of A&W College.
My parents still live off White Lion Rd but alas are moving at the beginning of next year. Gonna miss the old place especially the White Lion!! ;-).
I work in the hotel trade and am a Tottenham supporter if the username hadn't given that away. Thanks for the forum it is quality

#190 Wellingtons

Wellingtons

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:50 PM

Hi my real name is Vicky :rolleyes:
I live in Chalfont St Giles but my husband and I own 2 properties in Old Amersham. A few years ago we started a small farm where we farm Water Buffalo and Pedigree Berkshire Pigs. As a result we produce our own pork, Buffalo meat and dairy.
Just has a great weekend at the BBC Good Food Show where my sausages came first and second in a competition!
I am an active member of the Chalfont St Giles Village Show Committee, have 5 kids and no time! :blink:
Rather than write too much info, our website is
www.flexmorefarm.co.uk
It would be great to meet some people outside my village (CSG) but don't get me wrong they are lovely.

#191 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:41 PM

I live in Chalfont St Giles but my husband and I own 2 properties in Old Amersham. A few years ago we started a small farm where we farm Water Buffalo and Pedigree Berkshire Pigs. As a result we produce our own pork, Buffalo meat and dairy.
Just has a great weekend at the BBC Good Food Show where my sausages came first and second in a competition!
I am an active member of the Chalfont St Giles Village Show Committee, have 5 kids and no time! :blink:
www.flexmorefarm.co.uk
It would be great to meet some people outside my village (CSG) but don't get me wrong they are lovely.

Welcome Vicky.

I looked at your website. As someone who works in food importation, I can confirm British Asparagus is far superior to the stuff we import! Is yours the white variety?

Paul

#192 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Family, Computers, the country side, the good life, pest control (Old Bill Pest Control) & anything diffrent

Posted 18 November 2008 - 04:53 PM

www.flexmorefarm.co.uk

Vicky, Steve, Shannon, your other children and Jackie
A warm welcome you are doing what I dream about, I've started doing salamis, sausages, dry cured bacon, hams, basola, jerky and Biltong also hot and cold smoking (including fish), but as yet can't rear my own live stock, I'll pop in to your shop next week as tomorrow I'm working on a small shoot near you. It's great to see people make that dream happen and good on Shannon for thinking of it. :)

#193 Etna

Etna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:49 PM

Ciao to you all from sunny Sicily!

I can hear you all asking what that has to do with Amersham, well the ties ARE rather flimsy but it's very much in my heart......
My parents relocated to Chesham Bois in 1970 when I was already living here in Sicily. I fell in love with the area on my first trip back to visit them in 1971 - perhaps if they'd moved there earlier I wouldn't have left the UK.........
I was a regular visitor, staying one/two months, and bringing my family each summer until finally in 2003 I brought my then ageing & widowed mother out here to live with us for her final years. The family home was sadly sold.

I try to keep in touch with my mother's neighbours from time to time and read this forum with great interest several times a year to see what's going on. In late spring the heart strings stir as that was the time when I'd book my flight over for the summer, so evading the intolerable Sicilian heat. Alas, no more......

I miss the pond in Chesham Bois, so much always goes on in & around it; I would walk across the wooded area or along Sycamore Road to the shops and mooch around up there. I always made a point of a big shopping day in Harrow-on-the-Hill for items I couldn't find locally.

I would love to return for 3 weeks on a self-catering basis, but have not been able to find anything in this area. Only B&B's/hotels which are not for me. Perhaps there's a niche market for this sort of holiday rental - who knows?

For those of you who wish to learn further about me then check out my website at: http://www.holidayintaormina.com

Take care of Chesam Bois and Amersham for me......!

#194 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 06:50 PM

Ciao to you all from sunny Sicily!

I can hear you all asking what that has to do with Amersham, well the ties ARE rather flimsy but it's very much in my heart......
My parents relocated to Chesham Bois in 1970 when I was already living here in Sicily. I fell in love with the area on my first trip back to visit them in 1971 - perhaps if they'd moved there earlier I wouldn't have left the UK.........
I was a regular visitor, staying one/two months, and bringing my family each summer until finally in 2003 I brought my then ageing & widowed mother out here to live with us for her final years. The family home was sadly sold.

I try to keep in touch with my mother's neighbours from time to time and read this forum with great interest several times a year to see what's going on. In late spring the heart strings stir as that was the time when I'd book my flight over for the summer, so evading the intolerable Sicilian heat. Alas, no more......

I miss the pond in Chesham Bois, so much always goes on in & around it; I would walk across the wooded area or along Sycamore Road to the shops and mooch around up there. I always made a point of a big shopping day in Harrow-on-the-Hill for items I couldn't find locally.

I would love to return for 3 weeks on a self-catering basis, but have not been able to find anything in this area. Only B&B's/hotels which are not for me. Perhaps there's a niche market for this sort of holiday rental - who knows?

For those of you who wish to learn further about me then check out my website at: http://www.holidayintaormina.com

Take care of Chesam Bois and Amersham for me......!

I fell in love with Palermo when I was there as a child, a wonderful place and a fantastic beach. English isn't widely spoken but that adds to it's charm.

#195 Etna

Etna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 10:33 AM

I fell in love with Palermo when I was there as a child, a wonderful place and a fantastic beach. English isn't widely spoken but that adds to it's charm.

How about returning there and also spending time in Taormina? Palermo is a beautiful city but marred by the conotations with the mafia - such a shame. Sicily is still basically an island waiting to be discovered. There is so much history to discover; unless you're going to stay by the beach, I wouldn't advise this destination as a family holiday with young children.

Amersham & CB certainly are! My son loved his time spent there with his grandparents; endless walks with the dogs, cricket on the common (he never understood it!), shopping (rare for a male of any age), pond life and just mucking around on the common and in the woods.

He was 22 months when he first visited with me and had never seen grass!! Hard to believe...... He rolled around on it just like a happy dog does; I was amazed at his reaction.

So many happy memories.......

#196 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:32 PM

I've got a young family now so I'm not sure I would put them through the rigours of modern air travel, but certainly it's a trip I'd like to make.
I have relations in Milan and have been threatening to go there too. I love the whole country, in fact!

#197 flyssy

flyssy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:49 AM

I've only just got around to reading this thread...

I was born in Amersham and have lived here for all my 45 years, except for 18 months in Manchester.

I was schooled at St Georges, Chestnut Lane, Elangeni and Challoners, then a printing apprenticeship at Halstans in Amersham.

I work in Web design and Outdoor advertising, but I have a few other projects on the go, mostly related to parking and online shops.

I play and teach guitar and bass, and I still occasionally perform with "Mike Fab Gere and the Permissive Society" as well as an acoustic trio and various covers bands.

I'm married with 2 kids, a son at Challoners and a daughter at St Mary's.

gimme a shout if you need a website or online shop!

#198 Duds

Duds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:54 PM

I've only just got around to reading this thread...

I was born in Amersham and have lived here for all my 45 years, except for 18 months in Manchester.

I was schooled at St Georges, Chestnut Lane, Elangeni and Challoners, then a printing apprenticeship at Halstans in Amersham.

I work in Web design and Outdoor advertising, but I have a few other projects on the go, mostly related to parking and online shops.

I play and teach guitar and bass, and I still occasionally perform with "Mike Fab Gere and the Permissive Society" as well as an acoustic trio and various covers bands.

I'm married with 2 kids, a son at Challoners and a daughter at St Mary's.

gimme a shout if you need a website or online shop!

.....and if I'm not mistaken I'm sure you bought your first guitar off of me when you were about 12 years old! Knew I should have stuck with it although that being said I'm pretty good on the Wii's Guitar Hero game now! :lol:

#199 poppet

poppet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 10:29 PM

Just thought I should tell you a bit about me. I was born in God's own county (Yorkshire) and continue to live there half the time. The rest of the time is spent down in the South East (what a shock) trying to convert certain softie southerners to the delights of rugby league (played by proper hard men) and the merits of using local public transport ie buses. We have a fantastic bus service up in Leeds, not so good here but it is getting better. I am soon to become the wife of your administrator. Watch this space.

#200 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:04 PM

Welcome poppet. I wondered if you'd be joining us. :)

#201 Duds

Duds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:36 AM

The rest of the time is spent down in the South East (what a shock) trying to convert certain softie southerners to the delights of rugby league (played by proper hard men)

Let me guess....Rhino's fan? Let me know next time you're in Yorkshire and I'll get some Knights tickets to0 you so you can experience RL at the Highest level. :lol: :lol: :lol:

#202 KevinR

KevinR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:52 PM

Just thought I should tell you a bit about me. I was born in God's own county (Yorkshire) and continue to live there half the time. The rest of the time is spent down in the South East (what a shock) trying to convert certain softie southerners to the delights of rugby league (played by proper hard men) and the merits of using local public transport ie buses. We have a fantastic bus service up in Leeds, not so good here but it is getting better. I am soon to become the wife of your administrator. Watch this space.

Welcome to Amersham poppet and great news about your impending marriage. I spent a year commuting up to Leeds to work during the week and back home at weekends, so I know how demanding living between two centres can get. The big question is, will your new home be Leeds or Amersham!

#203 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:55 PM

The big question is, will your new home be Leeds or Amersham!

Surely it has to be Amersham - Matthew is far too busy to start up a Leeds News and Views Forum.. :P

Anyway welcome Poppet, incidentally that was my nickname as a child. :rolleyes:
Mel and Co

#204 Etna

Etna

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:22 PM

Surely it has to be Amersham - Matthew is far too busy to start up a Leeds News and Views Forum.. :P

Anyway welcome Poppet, incidentally that was my nickname as a child. :rolleyes:

My father always called me poppet too!! You don't hear it so much these days - or do you?

#205 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:25 PM

My father always called me poppet too!! You don't hear it so much these days - or do you?

Well I don't as I'm now Petley...
Mel and Co

#206 poppet

poppet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:30 PM

Matthew is not planning permanent move north you will all be glad to hear. There will still be a lot of commuting going on. National Express train tickets are suprisingly cheap if you are canny enough to book online a couple of months in advance. Although if we chose a home mid way between our birthplaces then it would be Grantham. That is sort of depressing.
Skype, laptops and mobile phones are a wonderful invention. I am just waiting for some clever person to perfect "beam me up Scotty" and then I wouldn't have to let the train take the strain.
Sitting in the frozen north at the moment awaiting the promised Big Blizzard.

#207 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:46 PM

Matthew is not planning permanent move north you will all be glad to hear. There will still be a lot of commuting going on. National Express train tickets are suprisingly cheap if you are canny enough to book online a couple of months in advance. Although if we chose a home mid way between our birthplaces then it would be Grantham. That is sort of depressing.
Skype, laptops and mobile phones are a wonderful invention. I am just waiting for some clever person to perfect "beam me up Scotty" and then I wouldn't have to let the train take the strain.
Sitting in the frozen north at the moment awaiting the promised Big Blizzard.

Do you want to be the first subject? :rolleyes:

#208 poppet

poppet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:40 PM

Only if I'm given something to Kling on to during transit...............

#209 Cutiecat

Cutiecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:19 PM

I call my children Poppet 1 and Poppet 2.

I have also been known to call my husband Poppet but he really doesn't like it.

In fact I think that I call other peoples children Poppet too.

#210 flyssy

flyssy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:01 AM

.....and if I'm not mistaken I'm sure you bought your first guitar off of me when you were about 12 years old! Knew I should have stuck with it although that being said I'm pretty good on the Wii's Guitar Hero game now! :lol:

No I didn't..got my first guitar aged 17, from a mutual friend..(who lived in Lexham Gardens)