209 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 01:36 PM

Please use this thread to introduce yourself to others.

I'll start.

You will see me on the forum as Matthew or MPJ / Admin

I run the web sites www.amersham.org.uk www.ThisIsAmersham.com www.metroland.org.uk

I set up the Amersham site in the mid 1990s to put Amersham on the Internet and since then the site has just grown and provides independent details about Amersham and through this forum a chance to discuss issues.

I have lived in Amersham on the Hill all my life (apart from spells away at boarding school and university) although now I spend some time in Leeds where my wife has property. Although Amersham can annoy me at times, I cannot think of a better place to live. Amersham has changed much over the past 40 + years, sometimes not for the better.

By profession I am a Chartered Management Accountant and work as a Company Director in London.

My interests include Arsenal (more like a disease actually), music and transport, yes, I have an anorak!

Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#2 Fran

Fran

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,200 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing about reading, theatre, film, restaurants, walking through woodland, Scrabble.

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:46 PM

Hi. It seems funny introducing myself now, when I'm not such a newbie any more, but as Matthew has set the ball rolling...

My netname is Fran and after living most of my adult life in Hemel, we moved briefly to Chesham, then in summer 05 we moved to Amersham.

The forum is great, but I still don't know many Amersham people for real - our fault, exacerbated by the fact we still have friends and family in Hemel, I work in Berkhamsted, my husband works (mostly) in London, and as our son is at senior school, one doesn't get to know fellow parents at the school gate. That said, I do sometimes wonder if any of the people I encounter around town are actually any of those I converse with on the forum!

For work, I'm in IT; for pleasure, I like theatre; reading; restaurants; Scrabble; woodland; Chinese cuisine, culture and country (but not their political system!); etymological and grammatical pedantry and (until I moved to Amersham!) cycling.

The things I like least about Amersham are: it's not a great place to cycle (at least not to/from our house, although much of the countryside is lovely); trains to London are slower and less frequent than from Hemel (albeit cheaper); daily traffic jams on A416; Tesco is the only largish supermarket and the traffic jams limit when one can go to Chesham or Beaconsfield instead; lack of theatre or even cinema (though good ones are not very far away), and too many homes being squeezed in back gardens.

So that I can end on an appropriately positive note, I think the best things about Amersham include, in no particular order: good schools; this forum; some great restaurants; Columbia book warehouse, and a pleasant environment - relatively clean, quiet and low levels of crime, and some beautiful and/or fascinating architecture, especially Georgian and early 20th century.

#3 Eaton

Eaton

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Birds, Reading, Crosswords, Suduko and Cross Stitch

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:14 PM

Hi everyone

My real name is Mel, Eaton is the name of my dog!!!

Like Fran, my husband and I moved here in Aug 2005 from the Harrow area. We live on the outskirts of Amersham and can't think of a better place to live.

I'm lucky I know quite a few local people through my job and dog owners are a friendly bunch, so I've made friends there as well.

My hobbies: animals, sudoku, cross-stitch, gardening, reading, crosswords, walking.

Thinks I dislike: potholes, drivers using handheld mobiles, litter, flytipping.

The absolute best thing about living here is being able to look out of my kitchen/living room/bedroom windows and seeing/hearing all the countryside around me. The Red Kites, Buzzards, Deer, Badgers, Foxes, Stoats, Owls (Little Owls, Tawny and Barn) to name some of them and in the spring watching the new born calves playing in the fields behind my garden. Also, there is a very definite pride in the area and coming from an area where there was very little pride or community spirit that is very refreshing.

The worst things about this area - HUGE spiders, HUGE beetles, cows/rabbits/deer eating my plants and walking up the steep hills, but these are just minor irritations!

Things I'm useless at: map reading. Things I've very good at: getting lost and taking the scenic route. B)
Mel and Co

#4 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,710 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:15 PM

Ok, here we go.

My real name is as my user name. I help Matthew moderate the forums here and run a number of other websites based around my hobbies.

I moved to Amersham from London in '97. I'm married to Marie and we have one daughter, who is two and a half. We have two cats, Mulder and Scully (not my idea) We are in Lincoln Park.

I am a lorry driver, but have previously worked as a computer programmer. I still dabble in IT. I now work in Hayes for a fruit and veg importer/distributor, but have previously driven for (or for their transport contractor) Gillette, Sainsburys, M&S and in the rag trade. Marie works for Equant, a telecoms firm who do... erm... I don't know... :)

My hobbies are (ask Google) Airsoft and a bit of computery stuff, I like an occasional online game. I also used to do a bit of motor racing. I, like others, am a reformed boy racer, though I was always too scared to get any real speed up and I still have an interest in all things automotive. I did a lap of the Nurburgring in 14 minutes. On the second lap, I crashed the car and had to limp home.

We adore living in Amersham, we chose it because it is countrified, yet has the tube (which I've been on 4 times :D ). Our lifelong freinds moved into Chalfont Common in 95 and we followed suit later. Though parenting wasn't a consideration when we came here, we now appreciate the local schools are all good.

I'm into history and politics, not much into sport other than a bit of motor sport.

I dislike poor driving, people with bad attitude and having short sight.

I'm useless at following things through. Read the interactive map and Amersham webcam threads for proof!

#5 Tallguy

Tallguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:51 PM

Tallguy is actually Andrew. I live in High Wycombe and am proud to have been a friend of Matthew's fro more years than we both wish to remember. I love photography, cinema and eating out. Big fan of underground and urban exploration - www.subbrit.org.uk for the underground stuff and the 28 Days Later forum for urban exploration.

I'm a former stand up comic but now work as a designer in the Audioviusal industry but have recently qualified in Health & Safety.

Originally a Londoner (Norrf Lundun as opposed to 'sarrf of the rivva'), I've lived in South Bucks for 17 years in Wycombe (3 addresses) Presteood and Chalfont St Peter.

Wycombe isn't as nice as Amersham, but it's home so I love it!

#6 Guest_Local Resident_*

Guest_Local Resident_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:45 AM

Although I have read the Forum every day (sometimes two or three times a day) since I joined in early2006, I have rarely made a contribution but can't resist joining in this time. My name is Elizabeth and I have lived in my house in Chesham Bois since 1955. I came from Southgate, North London and my husband from Streatham, South London. I hated the first few months I was living here as the "locals" didn't really like the "Londoners" building houses on "their fields".
Now, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.....and my husband certainly could not be dragged away from his local fishery where he regularly catches trout.

The shops in Amersham are nowhere near as good as they used to be, having lost a lovely shop called Brownings and, more recently, Accent. However, should Marks and Spencer eventually "join us" things should start looking up again.

Our three children thoroughly enjoyed living here. and always found plenty to do albeit most of their spare time was spent at the Amersham Pool !

My hobbies are cooking and making celebration cakes.....and, of course the computer. They keep me occupied when my husband is fishing (when isn't he?).

I enjoy reading the Forum but just lately it has been "heavy going"......and a bit too political.
However, I shall continue watching for new topics and hope I may find one that is not too "highbrow" !!!

#7 Carl La Fong

Carl La Fong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:47 AM

Suppose I'd better do the decent thing and spill the beans.

I'm a Yorkshireman who finds himself living down here for what you might call "professional reasons" - in other words, it's where my job took me. "The job" is acting as a cog in the wheels of Government, so I take the train into London every day.

My original take on commuting was to live in Milton Keynes, which we did very happily (for the most part) for 19 years, until I got cheesed off with the cost and duration of the train journey, plus MK was expanding too quickly for my liking - the view of the countryside from my window was starting to disappear. Moving to Amersham was a bit of a gamble - my wife originally came from this area, and I'll admit that although I thought it was awfully pretty, there was something about it that made me feel I wouldn't quite fit in. That's an awfully difficult thing to explain, but the nagging thought was always at the back of my mind. Anyway, we took the leap of faith last year, and I proved myself wrong -I'm very happy here.

What do I like about Amersham? As I said, it's a lovely area. It's so good to look out of the window and see countryside around, but at the same time not feel as though I'm completely out in the sticks because shops and facilities are not too far away. There are some nice pubs with decent beer (very important to us Yorkshiremen!). The people, for the most part, are friendly. Although being a commuter town, I feel I'm just a bit further away from the rat race. There are not too many chavs around.

Downers? The standard of road maintenance is b************* awful. There isn't much choice when it comes to clothes shopping (apart from expensive designer stuff for women) so you have to go to one of the bigger nearby towns. The public libraries don't seem very well stocked ( I'd like to see books about cars written by someone other than Jeremy Clarkson). Not much else, really.

Interests? Motor sport history (can't abide present day car racing, but bikes are great), cars in general, political history, old films, trivia, books and football.
Give me non-stop laughter, dispel disaster, or the Rotters Club might well lop off your ears.

#8 a t o m i c

a t o m i c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:42 PM

As for me, my real name is Adrian. We moved to Amersham in 2002 from central London (Fitzrovia), though I was born in Slough, grew up in Burnham and in the US (Rochester NY) and my father lives over in Maidenhead/Bray.

I work in TV post production (in Covent Garden) and thus commute by car each day, along with my other half, into town. We find the commute perfectly acceptable the way we do it, and no more time consuming than when we used to live in North London (though it costs more, obviously!).

We both like Amersham a lot, and are now in our second house here. Compared with other similar towns like Beaconsfield and Burnham, I feel it's both better set in the landscape, less intense and more self contained - I would like to see the low quality housing stock replaced as much as possible, though, but that would require a far sighted, proactive planning system rather than the reactive one we have today. Most of all, though, it's not too late for Amersham, it could be developed into one of the finest small towns in the country. Will it be? Who knows.

#9 147

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 12:42 PM

Previously posted on here as Metroman and Alfaman, I'm Steve passionate about the town I was born in 46 years ago. However we had to buy in Chesham in 1989 and only this year by downsizing are we able to return to Amersham.
My family have lived in the town for over 80 years and I was educated for my sins at Dr Challoners.

My pet hates all the open spaces that I used to play on as a child being developed, and the lack of fore sight of local councillors in developing a decent shopping centre on these sites.

I'm currently a driver on the Metropolitan Line ( waits for abuse), a job that I'm proud of, we take a lot of stick from the commuters about the service, when the state of the service is beyond our control. We are after all just following signals, and for all the modern technology, communication is still very hit and miss.

#10 Jane

Jane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 03:35 PM

Hi

Jane here, we live in Great Missenden, in fact my husband and I both grew up about 2 miles from each other and both went to the same first school albeit 5 yrs apart. We lived in Aylesbury for a while and moved back when we could afford it.......about 4 yrs ago now. I went to the Amersham School (I was in the first year that was mixed, Raans and Brundenell) and then to Chesham High before Uni.
I used to work for a national retailer but gave it all up to help my husband run his business, I now run the office and love it. We have 2 girls, a 3yr old and 9 month old, 2 cats and some fish.
We holiday in the UK, enjoy walking,cycling and camping and wine!
Looking forward to getting to know more people in the forum

Jane

#11 James516

James516

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 04:51 PM

Hi All, my real name is indeed James. My wife and I moved to Little Chalfont 1 year ago, and have loved every second since. We used to live in Elephant & Castle in London, and we both work in London and catch the tube together every day (ahhhhh). I'm orignally an Aussie, and have been in the UK for over 10 years now.

We love the village feel in LC, and go along to the Village Society meetings etc. It's great to see community spirit with the library being taken over and the Xmas decorations, as well as the summer and winter Village Fairs. We also love the fields and woods that we can walk to - I've done the Chess Valley walk twice now, and highly recommend it. The council offices have loads of leaflets on walks in the area.

I also love that it's so easy to get in or out of London - you can go tot the pub after work sna still have plenty of time to get home before the trains stop running.

What don't I like about Amersham? Tescos is pretty rubbish, and we tend to go to Beaconsfield Sainsburys or Berkhamstead Waitrose, or sometimes to Watford if we are also going to the Harlequin (which I was pleasantly suprised by). Also, a lot of the roads are badly potholed, and the traffic lights on the A404/Bell Lane still not working is a joke!

We moved out of london for a better quality of life, and even though we now spend 3 hours a day commuting, life is a gazillion times better than in elephant!

#12 struthie

struthie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 08:48 PM

My real name is Ruth.

I was born in Amersham Hospital in 1973,my Mum was born and grew up locally,she did I believe go to Raans the year it opened,my Father is Irish.

I went to school at Chestnut Lane and Elangeni started at Brudenell in 1986,left in 1990 and was there when it merged with Raans.

Had my first Saturday job in Woolworths in Amersham,then worked full time at Dillons in Sycamore road.Got married in 1992 and had our one and only son in 1994.

I started working at Tescos in 1996,just part time,and I'm still there,in the petrol station.

I lived in Weller Road when I was growing up,lived with my Grandparents,I have two brothers - both older.Also living with us were my two Uncles,one of whom is in a wheelchair after a motorbike accident,the council built a disabled extension on the house so Nan and Grandad could care for him.

I met my husband on a blind date,set up by a workmate at Dillons,and here we are 16 years later.
When we were first married we lived in Quarrendon road,then moved to Park Place and were there for nine long years.
We have since moved again and am not far from Weller Road.

So as you can see I haven't gone very far,and wouldn't want to be anywhere else.

Hubby used to work for a local company that was in Raans road,but they moved to High Wycombe on the Cressex Estate a few years back,he is sport mad,lifelong Arsenal fan and has played darts for years and years.

What do I like about Amersham,well I think its a good place to bring children up,my family are here,apart from my oldest brother who moved away.
My best friend is nearby,we met on the first day at Chestnut Lane and not got rid of her just yet! (She will kill me if she reads this)

What don't I like,not many things,really,the town needs some decent shops,I always go to Watford as Amersham is just not very good,and thats a shame as I would love to keep my business local.

Also don't like to see people hanging around drinking.

In my spare time I like to spend it with my hubby and my son who is nearly 13 and goes to the Amersham school (very odd going back there for parents evening)and I like walking my dogs,I have four spaniels,I also look after my Nan,she is a very impressive almost 91 although most days she tells me that she is only 89.

All three of us are also members of slimming world in Amersham,hubby is the only male adult there and he loves the attention from the ladies!

I can't see us ever moving away,I want to live here and die here!

Oh lastly my nickname,other half used to say "Struth Ruth " which became Struthie over time,and now I am always called it,even everyone at work calls me by that name,only called Ruth when in trouble which doesn't happen too often I'm glad to say!

#13 Zoom

Zoom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:20 PM

Hi everyone.

I'm Mark and my wife, my son and I moved to Amersham relatively recently and have really liked living here so far. The atmosphere is great, a big improvement on where we came from (in Herts) but we're still discovering things. I'm glad we discovered this forum early on. :)

I worked in IT for a while but for the last 15 years I've worked as a management consultant (yeah yeah I know, I've heard all the jokes and abuse !). For the last 5 years of that I've worked for myself, working on strategic change projects for clients in public and private sectors. I'm often commuting up to London but my work takes me all over the place depending on where my clients are, at the moment my time is mostly split between London and Cambridge so any suggestions of quick routes across country to Cambridge would be appreciated.

As far as interests go, I like history (especially military and of London) and architecture, I like eating out, reading trashy thrillers, I'm interested in politics, and much to my wife's dismay and embarrassment I enjoy playing computer/internet games (sign of a misspent youth).

Likes about Amersham: quiet, country atmosphere, restaurants, architecture, has history, independent shops, friendly people, schools.

Dislikes about Amersham: infrequent and slow trains at night, traffic at peak times, lack of "big town" facilities (bigger shops, cinema, lack of KFC)

#14 nicknick

nicknick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 09:57 PM

Real name Nicky, born 'oop North' but moved down here (Chalfont St Giles) when I was 6 or 7. Moved to Amersham when 11 or 12 and went to Challoners girls... then Amersham College then the Cordon Bleu school in London and continued to cook for the next 15 years or so all over, also lived in Australia cooking and having huge amounts of fun.
Have usually kept a base in Amersham although I gave up cooking about 10 years ago and now work for an American telecoms company in programme management (very very long story how I made the swap from the cooker to the computer!).
Have lived here in Old Amersham on and off for many years, and love it, still have friends from my youth here in walking distance so it is very much my comfort zone. Have also at some point worked in most of the pubs or restaurants down here!
I think Amersham feels most like home because I spent my 'formative' teenage years here, in the schools, pubs, swimming pool etc... Recently took on an allotment at the Little Shardeloes site with a friend, so far so good! (if you saw 2 blondes walking up Old Amersham High St earlier today carrying a home made fence - that was us!)
Love Amersham just because it's home, feels safe, close enough to London to nip up to the shops or a gallery or to see friends or a play and close enough to the country that I can be traipsing across fields getting muddy when I get home from work before it gets dark.
Trying hard to think of something I don't like... Tesco's being permanently busy? Holy roads? People parking across my driveway while they 'nip' to the shops down here???? Now that really does annoy me! :angry:

#15 David P

David P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,748 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 10:01 PM

Well, I guess it's my turn. You'll not be surprised that my name is David and that my surname begins with 'P' but, since we all seem to prefer a degree of anonymity, we'll leave it at that.

I'm a Brummie by birth, with a streak of Welsh blood, but having lived for 37 years in Amersham I now regard myself as belonging here. We moved here when I got a job in the West End and I commuted for the the best part of 17 years. When I got transferred to Milton Keynes we looked at houses around there but decided the commute was worth it to stay in Amersham. Just as well, as I later got transferred to Uxbridge. We made another attempt to move out 3 or 4 years ago when my daughter suggested that we could move nearer to her in Nottingham. We looked around but could not be persuaded - just as well again, as she moved away only 6 months later.

Careerwise, I spent 45 years in the computer industry (I can remember walking through a computer, checking the valves!), including spells automating a Czech steelworks and a Swiss telephone exchange. In later years it was much more mundane and when the Yanks took over the company that I worked for I couldn't wait to get out. When a round of redundancies was announced I elbowed my way to the front of the queue and took early retirement over 7 years ago.

Interests: Photography, travel, walking the Chilterns, cars, being a 'grumpy old man'. Totally unsporting.

Pet hates: Political correctness, the dumbing down of the media and the culture of 'why don't THEY do something about it?'.

About Amersham: It's so easy to walk to all the facilities (shops, station, doctor, community centre etc.) and the countryside. Everything seems to work pretty well (current potholes aside) and it's generally clean, tidy and trouble free. The people are relaxed and friendly - and that is something I've noticed particularly since retirement.

I've forgotten the family :huh: We've been married for 42 years and have 2 daughters (one local, one now in Cheshire). Between them, they have produced 4 grandchildren.

That's enough for now.
David P

#16 Speedy

Speedy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 09 March 2007 - 02:42 PM

My real name is jeremy. Live in great hivings in chesham with my wife and 3 children (13, 8 yrs and 3 week old baby).

Lived in berkhamsted for the first 21 years of my life before i got married :) Was born in amersham hospital.

I work at amersham college as a part time cleaner. Fix cars in my own time during the day. My interests are cars and music. I was a dj for 20 years up until jan 2004.

Not really anything else to say :D

#17 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Family, Computers, the country side, the good life, pest control (Old Bill Pest Control) & anything diffrent

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:40 PM

There are many names above this I have debated with, been suppourted by, and even given a run for my money by. That alone is why this site is so important, that right to speak and share views, unlike the media , government, etc. we can be honest. Yeah honest.

However I was born in Scotland, but was moved down here at 6 months old with no consultation by my parents. Mum was English from London and Dad was from Stirling in Scotland. I grew up in Croxley Green, going to Malvern Way, Little Green & Durrants schools, My dad was big in Scouting and so I enjoyed that, I joined the Police in 1976 as a Cadet and became a PC in June 1978.

I met my wife in Harrow where I worked in 1980, I married her in 1982 after buying a house there, when we wanted to start a family we moved out of London to Amersham in 1986, for various reasons, schools being one.

If I won the Lottery tomorrow I would not leave the area, my ambitions are to be as self sufficent as I can and support the country side. That means protecting it, but keeping the balance, we eat pidgeon, rabbit etc, free range eggs and many other natural foods. I want a small holding and the ability to make my own produce.

Amersham is a wonderful place, and if you don't think so try my job in a London Borough.

#18 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • Interests:Family, Computers, the country side, the good life, pest control (Old Bill Pest Control) & anything diffrent

Posted 09 March 2007 - 08:47 PM

I forgot to say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What we may think of as a problem is not in many other parts of the country. Lets enjoy what we have rather than complian about what we don't have.

#19 GillB

GillB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts
  • Interests:Often to be found playing World of Warcraft

Posted 09 March 2007 - 11:22 PM

Moved to Amersham at the age of 4 in 1960 from West London and have lived in the area ever since. Educated at Heatherton House & Berkhamsted; lived in Green Lane, Amersham; had Saturday jobs in Boots & International Stores. Eventually worked full time in London.

My late husband moved here in the same year from Harrow, lived in St Leonard's Road and went to the Beacon and Merchant Taylors. We met at Outset Youth Club at St Leonard's Church. We lived in Bois Moor Road & Hospital Hill Chesham, then Sheepfold Lane, Amersham where I still am. I worked for DRG Kwikseal in Chesham for a while then had 2 daughters who were educated at Chenies then one at Amersham School & t'other at Challoners. Both now moved away from the area.

Did a lot with Guiding - ran 3rd Chesham Bois Guides for nearly 20 years until my husband became ill. Have also been connected with Amersham Free Church since we first moved here and now run its website.

My Real Life job now is running my own business selling 2nd hand & antiquarian children's books from catalogues & my website. I also spend quite a lot of time helping to run a group of fan-sites for various computer games and playing World of Warcraft.

I had a heart-attack at the end of last year which curtailed activities for a little while, but I'm back walking my large dog round the local countryside and wishing there were more hours in the day again :)

#20 bluesbrothers

bluesbrothers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 March 2007 - 02:15 AM

Hello, I'm Andrew. Born, bred, strayed from, roamed away and returned to Amersham. Small world...GillB - I went to school with your late husband and Local Resident - I am in love with your cooking! I have an addiction to your quiches and am delighted by the joy that you obviously still receive from your cooking. I thought that my aunt was the only lady who still could make pastry that delicious...enough!

Beacon School, Regal Cinema, Boots the fishmongers...Challoners, Demi-Lune Deli, Station Garages...then East End, East Africa, Cardiff and Javea...grew up on Station Road in the '50s and moved back to the same house 3 years ago. Spent 7 years renovating, extending and then gave up my business a couple of years ago to spend the rest of my breathing doing for doing rather than for the spending stuff. So, income no longer allows Amersham resident status and a move is on the cards...

The monika "bluesbrothers" has probably had it's day - currently "noah's ark" would be more appropiate. :P Welcome!

#21 Guest_Local Resident_*

Guest_Local Resident_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2007 - 07:13 AM

Please use this thread to introduce yourself to others.

I'll start.

You will see me on the forum as Matthew

I run the web sites www.amersham.org.uk www.ThisIsAmersham.com www.metroland.org.uk

I set up the Amersham site in the mid 1990s to put Amersham on the Internet and since then the site has just grown and provides independent details about Amersham and through this forum a chance to discuss issues.

I have lived in Amersham on the Hill all my life (apart from spells away at boarding school and university) and although the place can annoy me at times, I cannot think of a better place to live. Amersham has changed much over the past 40 + years, sometimes not for the better.

By profession I am a Chartered Management Accountant and work as a Company Director in London.

My interests include Arsenal (more like a disease actually), music and transport, yes, I have an anorak!

Hello Michael

I don't suppose for, one minute, your idea of people using this Forum to introducie themselves, would take off so well. The replies make interesting reading. At least we now know who is a "he" or a "she" !!!

E.

#22 Char83

Char83

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Comedy clubs!

Posted 10 March 2007 - 05:36 PM

Hello,

I'm Charlotte, and at 24 I suspect I am one of the younger users of this website. I have lived in this area all my life - i am actually from the villages but Amersham is my nearest town.

I work in London as an Analyst and am currently in a quandry about whether to move away from the area to live in London or stay where I am.

My interest include travel, reading (mainly travel literature and biographies), stand up comedy (the Hell Fire Comedy Club in Wycombe is absolutely excellent if you have't tried it), eating out and walking in the countryside.

Things I like about Amersham: it's very attractive and non-chavy, there are several brilliant restaurants, it's surrounded by beautiful countryside but with good access to London.

Things I don't like about Amersham: the car park is usually really full when I want to go out in the evenings, there isn't a cinema, and there aren't many people my age round here (they all seem to clear off to London after graduation) so i get quite lonely, and I can't afford to buy a property round here.

Nice to meet you all!

Charlotte :)

#23 Speedy

Speedy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 10:37 PM

Hello Michael

I don't suppose for, one minute, your idea of people using this Forum to introducie themselves, would take off so well. The replies make interesting reading. At least we now know who is a "he" or a "she" !!!

E.

Could always have a "what do you look like" thread :blink:

#24 Guest_Local Resident_*

Guest_Local Resident_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2007 - 12:10 AM

Could always have a "what do you look like" thread :blink:

Definitely not... in my case, I would rather it be left to the imagination :rolleyes:

#25 Speedy

Speedy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 10:20 AM

Ahh ya spoilsport B) :rolleyes:

#26 Jo75

Jo75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 03:05 PM

Hi to everyone,

Albite I'm fairly new here (oops) and currently NOT (yet!) living in Amersham or around I'd like to let you know who I am... :D My name is Sandra, I've already reached the 30ies and live in Germany. My partner lives in Amersham and hopefully by mid of summer my daughter and I will move to his house. As I think that Amersham is such a beautiful place I'm pretty excited to start a new life hopefully soon!

I am working as an assistant in the automotive business. I love cooking, improving my English (hope it is not too bad though), everything to do with flowers and, of course, my little handfull (almost 3 years old). :rolleyes:

I enjoy reading on this forum and I am looking forward to hopefully understand a bit more about some topics when I finally live in the area :-).

Ok, this so far from the 'German one'!

Cheers!

#27 Alan

Alan

Alan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 07:54 PM

Hi to everyone,

Albite I'm fairly new here (oops) and currently NOT (yet!) living in Amersham or around I'd like to let you know who I am... :D My name is Sandra, I've already reached the 30ies and live in Germany. My partner lives in Amersham and hopefully by mid of summer my daughter and I will move to his house. As I think that Amersham is such a beautiful place I'm pretty excited to start a new life hopefully soon!

I am working as an assistant in the automotive business. I love cooking, improving my English (hope it is not too bad though), everything to do with flowers and, of course, my little handfull (almost 3 years old). :rolleyes:

I enjoy reading on this forum and I am looking forward to hopefully understand a bit more about some topics when I finally live in the area :-).

Ok, this so far from the 'German one'!

Cheers!

Jo75
Your English is better than may of us can boast, but we are lazy when it comes to that. I'm not sure what 'ffect it has (little joke about my English)

#28 Jo75

Jo75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:33 AM

Jo75
Your English is better than may of us can boast, but we are lazy when it comes to that. I'm not sure what 'ffect it has (little joke about my English)

:D Alan, thanks! But I wish I knew a bit more about a 'casual' way of speaking/ writing, but I'll probably get used to that when I'm in the UK... any help is very much appreciated ;)

#29 KevinR

KevinR

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:31 PM

Hi to everyone,

No surprises that my real name is Kevin. Im in my late forties, and moved to Amersham in 2004 from Ealing. I live with my wife, 7 year old son and two dogs (Westies). We rented in Amersham for our first year then bought a house in Chesham Bois where we aim to put down long term roots.

We moved to Amersham for space, the countryside, low crime, good schools, and wanting our son to grow up in a child friendly environment. Were very pleased weve made the right move and love it here.

Professionally, Im an IT project manager who works for a large IT Services company. These days I tend to work mostly in London but it could be anywhere where my work takes me.

Amersham and Chesham Bois being a relaxed, civilised, friendly and stable community
Being able to walk to the station yet living close to the countryside (we live backing onto Bois Woods and love the beech woods)
The local wildlife we see from our garden including tawny owls, muntjack deer and wood-peckers. Our dogs like the wildlife too but never catch anything despite trying hard!
Cycling with my son on the numerous paths and bridleways that surround us

Dislikes:
I dont spend as often as Id like actually in Amersham too much time commuting and working, although the line is reasonable and Marylebone one of the nicer London stations
The lack of pubs in the centre of top Amersham and the fact that Im only slowly building up a circle of friends these two facts might be connected!

Interests: - My family and playing with my son, our dogs, motorcycling & watching motor cycle racing, local natural history.

I think this forum is great (thanks again to Matthew for making it happen) far better than the local newspaper as its more personal and relevant.

#30 a t o m i c

a t o m i c

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:55 AM

I work in London as an Analyst and am currently in a quandry about whether to move away from the area to live in London or stay where I am.

I'd give London living a try if I were you - the nightbus really liberates your social possibilities at the weekend if you live fairly close in to the centre - I still haven't quite got used to making sure I'm on the way to Marylebone/Baker St by 11 so I can make it back to Amersham.