• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:39 AM

Our forum software IPB, doesn't include a spell checker and while it can be modified to have one, it does involve faff, which is to be avoided at all costs.

So, for those of you using Internet Explorer or Firefox, can I suggest the Google Toolbar. It contains, amongst other things, a tool for spellchecking stuff you've typed in whitespace boxes such as those you type your messages in here. It does a host of other clever things. Try it and see.

Firefox version (Link now points to the front of this website, as this helps MPJ)

IE version

Unlike some toolbars, you can turn off the vendor reporting features, so that Google can't gather information on you or your searching habits and as such, gets a recommendation from me. Did I mention it's my favourite price too? Free. :)

Paul

edited for spelling. Yes. I know. :)

Edited by PaulEden, 25 February 2006 - 01:21 PM.

#2 Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Matthew (Admin/MPJ)

Advanced Member

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 10:47 AM

I did have the spell check feature added to the old forum, but it was a faff to do and makes upgrading harder.

If you want the Firefox tool bar, there is a link on the main Amersham home page, which if selected helps the site! www.amersham.org.uk
Matthew P Jones
Web Master of www.amersham.org.uk and www.metroland.org.uk

Follow Amershan News & Views on src="http://twitter-badges.s3.amazonaws.com/twitter-a.png" alt="Follow Amersham News & Views on Twitter"/>

Amersham News, Views & Information Facebook Page

#3 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 01:19 PM

I did have the spell check feature added to the old forum, but it was a faff to do and makes upgrading harder.

If you want the Firefox tool bar, there is a link on the main Amersham home page, which if selected helps the site! www.amersham.org.uk

I had it installed on my forums and the install faff was minimal, once you get your head around editing the files, but it got broken by a forum software upgrade and I couldn't be bothered to reinstall it. My users (I have rather less than we do here) have, by and large, installed the appropriate toolbar or for IE users, IESpell which has the added attraction of using your local MS Word custom dictionary. I cannot find a Firefox equivalent, though doubtless one exists.

#4 PaulEden

PaulEden

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,717 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 07:14 PM

Version 2 of Firefox has a spell checker built in though I had to add the word 'Firefox' to it's built in dictionary!